1252 users online (281 members and 971 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

NY - Sean Wayne Evans, 2, Watertown, 17 May 1984

The Doe Network:
    Case File 171DMNY

Left: Evans, circa 1984; Right: Age-progressed image of Evans at age 20 (circa 2002)

Sean Wayne Evans
    Missing since May 17, 1984 from Watertown, Jefferson County, New York.
    Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: November 25, 1981
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 2 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'0; 40 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blonde hair; green eyes.
    Marks, Scars: One-inch long birthmark between his shoulder blades; scar on forehead.
    Clothing: A yellow jacket, red pants and blue sneakers with white stripes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Evans was last seen playing with a ball outside of his home on May 17, 1984 in Watertown, New York. His mother went inside the house for a moment to answer a phone ; when she returned, Evans has disappeared. Extensive searches of the area were futile. Police believe Sean may have fallen into the swift waters of the Black River behind his home, his ball was found on the river bank.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning Evans' whereabouts, please contact:
    Watertown Police Department
    Detective John E. Montrois
    315-782-2233

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

Agency Case Number: 05568-84

NCIC Number: M-123042171
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information related to this case.

Source Information:
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children

Last edited by KateB; 04-08-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: update link.

From The Charley Project, http://charleyproject.org/cases/e/evans_sean.html:

"Evans was last seen playing with his ball outside of his family's residence in the 300 block of Water Street in Watertown, New York on May 17, 1984. His baby brother was also outside. His mother went inside their house to answer the phone at approximately 5:30 p.m.; when she returned less than two minutes later, Evans had disappeared, but the baby was still in his playpen. He has never been seen again.

The Black River runs behind the child's home. The ball Evans was playing with when he disappeared was found on the driveway of his house, near the river's bank. Police believe he may have fallen into the river and drowned, but if so, his body was never found. Due to the unclear factors in his disappearance, his case is classified as a non-family abduction.

The house Evans disappeared from has since been demolished. His case remains unsolved."

I wonder how far the house was from the river and if a toddler could get down there and fall in in two minutes or less. If the bank was steep he could have slipped and fallen, but wouldn't there be signs of that? It is also odd that not only was his body never recovered, but none of his clothing was ever found. From what I read, the river seems pretty fast-moving, and wouldn't that make it more likely to work off one of Sean's socks, shoes, or jacket?

it seems that if someone wanted to adbuct the child, then throwing the ball on the river bank is good cover. does anyone know who called? maybe a ploy to get her inside to take the child? Of course im not saying he didnt fall in, im just throwing some questions and senerios out there.
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

That's a good point. I never considered that the ball could have been a cover-up by a kidnapper. I wonder how extensively the friends/acquaintances of Sean's family were investigated. Did any of them drop out of their life after the abduction?

A lot of times in these sorts of abductions police get focused on one answer and block out all the other options. A great example of this is the Anna Waters's case. It's only years later, when their bodies still haven't shown up in the river or the woods or what have you, that everyone begins to rethink.

agreed i mean if the mother was only talking on the telephone for 2 minutes then i bet someone did santch him away from his home. also the ball theory is a good one they looked in that river i think and found no body

Bump
    What a cute little boy. So sad ;(

My family is from Watertown area. Nice quiet place to live, not much crime other then your typical egg throwing kids and lots of drunken domestics.
    What bothers me though is that you would think that they would have found some of his clothing or something in the river.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

Bumping for this sweet boy.

The Black River is very unforgiving - even for an adult falling in. I can easily believe that Sean fell in and was never found. Just in the last couple of years there have been at least three or four deaths. It is easy to get to the river's edge now, so I am sure it was even easier back in the early 80s. Sad story but I think the simplest answer is the most likely.
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein