Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/282dfil.html

Vinyette Teague
Missing since June 25, 1983 from Chicago, Cook County, Illinois
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: December 8, 1981
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 months old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 2'8; 27 pounds
<LI>Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Black hair; brown eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
On June 25, 1983, Teague's parents left the toddler with family and friends in the Robert Taylor Homes and went to a drive-in movie. About 50 people were out on the 7th-floor breezeway when Vinyette's grandmother left to take a telephone call in her apartment. When the grandmother returned, the toddler was gone. She has never been located.

hmm...i wonder if the place was searched immediatley for the child or if background cheks were ran on all the staff AND the people that lived there and their family :(

Vinyette is on Project Jason's current 18 Wheel Angel campaign. A special poster has been made for her and can be downloaded and printed for placement. More information about the program, and the link for the poster can be found here:

Project Jason - Assistance for families of the missing

In addition to the campaign, Vinyette is also featured in a trucking publication called Through the Gears. This free magazine is distributed in truck stops nationwide.

Through the Gears is one of JB Scott's many publications. In partnership with Project Jason, they feature one missing person per month. You can pick up your free copies at a local truck stop, but if it's far from you, you may want to call and ask if they carry that magazine. These are NOT with the regular for purchase magazines. At my truck stop, they are in a special rack outside the main truck stop door. At another truck stop, they are in a hallway between the store and the trucker's lounge.

Through the Gears has a circulation of about 150,000.

You can also see the current campaign information on this JB Scott webpage: 18 Wheel Angels

We hope this helps in the search for Vinyette.

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
Project Jason - Assistance for families of the missing
Read our Voice for the Missing Blog
Project Jason-Voice for the Missing

Two Missing Person Cases Baffling Police

Seventeen-thousand – that’s how many people go missing in Chicago every year. Ninety-eight percent of them are located, but CBS 2’s Bill Kurtis reports on two cases that have baffled police.

Kathy Teague’s daughter, Vinyette, disappeared on June 15, 1983.

An age progression has been done to show us how she might look today.

“I cry every day,” Kathy said

More: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/09/28/two-missing-person-cases-baffling-police/

An age progression has been done to show what Vinyette Teague might look like today, 28 years after she went missing in 1983.
(Credit: Chicago Police Department)

Bumping, hoping Vinyette can one day be reunited with her family.

[video=youtube;2oIJ5GrKJKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oIJ5GrKJKo[/video]

It is a missing child case that has not gathered much attention in the past several years. Tuesday marks 36 years since the disappearance of a 1 ½-year-old girl from her South Side home.

...SBM

Vinyette would be 37.

Teague says it's been at least five years since she's heard from police about the case.

When asked about the 1983 case, police spokesmen said their digital records do not go back that far.

Chicago Girl Vanished 36 Years Ago

BBM - Really? That's their answer? o_O:(:mad:

Host Marissa Jones always does fantastic work on her show.

This poor little 18 month girl was just gone, forever, just like that.

The parents just wanted a night out alone, enjoy a movie, grab a bite to eat. I can certainly appreciate that. The mom's interview was a kick in the gut to listen to.

It sounds like the apartment building had a lot of activity going on that night. People coming and going. Folks enjoying the summer. I personally believe someone kidnapped her (a male) and she was was dead fairly quickly afterwards. That it happened fast, it wasn't planned but that she was there and briefly unattended by watchful eyes. An absolutely terrifying thought.

The mom said many of the people that were there (potential witnesses) have since passed away. The building does not even exist anymore. This is a tough one to look at today, IMO.

1983, a time without social media and super fast spreading news. It does sound like LE took her disappearance seriously, even the FBI was called in. The mom and family (her sister especially) were out there putting up flyers everywhere.

Thank you for starting a thread for this little one and her mom, who is still living a nightmare 37 years later.

Toddlers age 1 dont just wander away by themselves. Either she died of an accident and the family was responsible somehow or someone just grabbed her quickly while no one payed attentions. Possibly to raise the child as their own. Robert Taylor was an infamous housing project in Chicago where lots of bad things happened. Sadly theres been very little coverage on her.

Vinyette Teague`s mysterious abduction was a very brief news story in the major Chicago papers and newscasts in the summer of 1983. Vinyette was a sweet but cautious child, Kathy Teague said, and was very particular about who could hold her. On the night of June 25, 1983, she perched most of the evening in the lap of a trusted neighbor who was helping watch Teague`s four kids while Teague and Vinyette`s father, went to a drive-in movie. The air was thick and hot, and the neighbor, Kathy Teague`s mother, her two sisters and her cousin were sitting with a large group of neighbors out in a porch area playing cards and talking. The phone rang and Kathy Teague`s mother went inside the apartment. Then her sisters drifted off and the cousin left and the trusted neighbor went to do the dishes.

A short time later, Vinyette was gone. No one had seen anything. She was 18 months old and was not even wearing any shoes.

Kathy Teague arrived home at 3 a.m. The first neighbor who saw her in the parking lot screamed from a fifth-floor window, ``Kathy! Kathy! Kathy!`` Her voice echoed in the brick and asphalt canyon even as they reverberate today in memory: ``Kathy! Kathy! Kathy! Do you have your baby?`` After Vinyette disappeared, Kathy Teague searched Robert Taylor Homes building to building, floor to floor, door to door. She pawed through incinerator ashes and peered down the elevator shafts. ``In a sense, I had given up on life,`` she said. ``Everything in my mind was blank. I couldn`t even think.``

No ransom note ever arrived, no scrap of clothing was ever found. Crank callers phoned to say Vinyette`s body had turned up in a bag by the railroad tracks or cut to shreds on the roof of a nearby restaurant. Another caller put a young girl on the line and had her holler, ``Mommy, mommy, mommy!``

Kathy Teague`s best and most optimistic guess is that someone saw Vinyette at the playground the afternoon she disappeared and decided to adopt her. ``She was a really pretty child, with a big, beautiful smile,`` Teague said. ``And I`m not just saying that because I`m her mother. The feeling in my heart is that she`s alive - that someone just wanted her for their own.``She still has nightmares about Vinyette`s abduction and she feels her absence sharply around the holidays and the anniversary of the disappearance.

Kathy provides peer support to a searching family as a trained volunteer with Team HOPE/National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

The Surviving Parents Coalition: Kathy Teague

Vinyette Teague

NamUs

​It is always disheartening to learn of children who, at the time that they went missing, received little coverage. Stories such as these are proof that within the media, the plights of Black families facing the most traumatic experiences of their lives are often overlooked. We’re nearly two weeks away from a somber anniversary that marks 39 years since 18-month-old Vinyette Teague vanished from an apartment hallway on the South Side of Chicago. At the time, the case didn’t receive the attention it deserved; however, in the decades that have followed, the mystery of what happened to this baby girl has puzzled the inquisitive.
Vinyette TeagueAge ProgressionPIN IT
It was on June 25, 1983, when Kathy and her husband finally had a night out. The pair decided to have a date night at a local drive-in movie theater and they asked their relatives at home to care for little Vinyette during their absence. The family, which included Vinyette’s three brothers, lived at the Robert Taylor Homes and according to reports, while Kathy and her husband were away, their babysitting relatives were entering and exiting the apartment. They were spending time in and out of the apartment’s hallways and all seemed normal.
Then, Kathy’s mother, who also lived in the building but was at the apartment with Vinyette, received a phone call so she went inside of their apartment for a bit of privacy, reportedly leaving the little girl with a neighbor for but a moment. The neighbor was holding Vinyette but had to go back to their home to do the dishes, so the neighbor placed the child in the hallway, right near the family’s front door, before making their way back to their home. It was just a few minutes, but that was all it took for Vinyette Teague to disappear.
The Doe Network reported that there were nearly 50 people going in and out of the housing projects’ breezeway that evening. They included neighbors and Vinyette’s cousins, brothers, and other relatives.
Vinyette TeagueAge ProgressionPIN IT
When Kathy returned from the movies, she saw several police cars that had already responded to the scene. She instinctively knew that something had happened to Vinyette.
“I started running to the seventh floor and when I opened the door, I saw my mother and my mother-in-law…and that’s when I knew my baby was missing. I came back out of the door and just went floor to floor, door to door, searching for my baby,” Kathy told the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children back in 2020. “We don’t know from that day to this day if someone was walking up the stairs or going down, just saw a pretty baby…and just wanted her.”
Vinyette TeagueAge Progression
“It’s hard to describe, because as the years go by, it gets numb and numb and numb and numb. You say to yourself, ‘If I break down and I cry, if I go crazy and don’t know what’s going on, who’s going to fight for my child? Who’s going to be their voice?’”
Authorities reportedly believe that a non-custodial family member abducted Vinyette. Authorities, Vinyette’s family, and neighbors searched the housing complex one floor at a time questioning people about the little girl. She has never been seen again.

At the time of her disappearance, Vinyette Teague stood 2 feet 8 inches tall and weighed 27 pounds. She had black/dark brown hair and brown eyes. Her dental records and fingerprints are not on file, but her DNA is available. She was last seen wearing brown and yellow pants and a multi-colored top. Vinyette would be 40-years-old at the time of this publication.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back