Why SXO laws do not work

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have written a couple of articles regarding the problems with Megan's law and the Washington state one strike initiative that people are attempting to enact. Seamus McGraw has also written about the prior in two articles here and here. In all, while I do think something must be done to curb crimes against children (and adults for that matter), I think the result will require a collaborative effort involving everything from education to stiffer penalties that do not contain the loopholes that are present in current and proposed legislation. Otherwise put, really combing through the stuff to come up with a workable plan, rather than simply responding from emotion as so many who are promoting these laws are prone to do.

You have written some excellent articles. I think what we have now is just a start and you are right that we need to come up with a workable plan. Violent crimes are up and many involve previously convicted persons who should never have been released, imo.

WHY THEY WOULD WORK. In countries where 0 zero tolerance is acceptable, (ie: quick & immediate death penalty for driving drunk). WORKS.

IF WE GET SO SERIOUS with perps like this, zero tolerance. YOU TRY IT ONCE, you're done period. No questions asked, get yourself a lawyer and quick like because your death penalty will carry out one year effective today.

IT WILL WORK. TELL THESE PERPS WITHOUT A DOUBT..... you do this, here are the consequences, period. No matter what your reason, what your history and what your own damn childhood, your fried.

We have become TOO CIVILIZED. WAY TOO CIVILIZED. WHEN SOMEONE DOES THAT TO A CHILD, THERE'S NOTHING CIVILIZED ABOUT IT. THEY HAVE TO DIE.

Amen blueclouds.

SewingDeb said:
You have written some excellent articles. I think what we have now is just a start and you are right that we need to come up with a workable plan. Violent crimes are up and many involve previously convicted persons who should never have been released, imo.
I am in absolute agreement, Deb. Unfortunately, and imho, until we (as in the universal we) begin to realize that sexual predators cannot be rehabilitated, we will continue making the same mistakes... over and over and over... As with the dangerous intersection, I suspect more deaths will occur before our (as in the universal our) society actually gets it. In any event, I do think we need to truly throw away the key where sexual predators are concerned. However, until we do that, we need to figure out how to deal with these people. And we need to figure out what it is about our society that makes the rich soil from which these predators sprout. In the end, I think it will take a concerted effort at all levels of society. Not just the criminal justice system, but from famlial, schools, and media, as well.

Not just the criminal justice system, but from famlial, schools, and media, as well.

Exactly.

blueclouds said:
WHY THEY WOULD WORK. In countries where 0 zero tolerance is acceptable, (ie: quick & immediate death penalty for driving drunk). WORKS.

IF WE GET SO SERIOUS with perps like this, zero tolerance. YOU TRY IT ONCE, you're done period. No questions asked, get yourself a lawyer and quick like because your death penalty will carry out one year effective today.

IT WILL WORK. TELL THESE PERPS WITHOUT A DOUBT..... you do this, here are the consequences, period. No matter what your reason, what your history and what your own damn childhood, your fried.

We have become TOO CIVILIZED. WAY TOO CIVILIZED. WHEN SOMEONE DOES THAT TO A CHILD, THERE'S NOTHING CIVILIZED ABOUT IT. THEY HAVE TO DIE.
UNFRICKIN REAL........This is the best damn post I have ever read in my 3 yrs on these boards.Now we await the huggers whiney *advertiser censored* response....GO AHEAD lovers make our day

proadvocate said:
UNFRICKIN REAL........This is the best damn post I have ever read in my 3 yrs on these boards.Now we await the huggers whiney *advertiser censored* response....GO AHEAD lovers make our day

I couldn't agree more. It is about time that our justice system stops patting these perverts on the head and telling them "don't do it again." There will always be outfits like the ACLU that jump in to make sure that these perverts have "rights." I don't know what to do about them. Obviously they don't have children that they want to protect from these perverts. There will always be law makers and judges that want to send these perverts to some sexual predators program because they think these perverts can be cured when everyone with any common sense knows that it has to do with impulse control and the perverts have none. I don't know what the answer is as far as these people that constantly come to the defense of the perverts. I don't think they are going to go away any time soon. I don't think that our politicians will ever have the balls to bring about some strict laws such as the ones in the above post. I can't understand why anyone would hold up for child sex offenders but they do.

Remember how lax the laws were concerning drunk drivers before "Mothers Against Drunk Drivers" came to be? Maybe that is what mothers need to do to change the laws about these perverts....form an organization called "Mothers Against Child Sexual Predators." It just might be the only thing that will work.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back