970 users online (194 members and 776 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    I read a short blurb elsewhere that said he was an original suspect but had an alibi and that LE has finally been able to disprove this alibi...I wonder (and hope) someone came forward to help out, even if after more than my lifetime...it makes me hopeful that people in other cases (Lauren Spierers, for one) may come forward, only much, much sooner.
    Just my opinion, of course.

If my math is correct, he was basically a kid himself - 17 or 18?

Nice "closure" for her family after all these years. Quoted closure because there's no such thing really.

Oh my. What a miracle. I hope are tracking his whereabouts all these years and that there are no other victims.

Miria Ridulph 1957 solved? ***MERGED***

I am always so impressed when a cold case gets solved

prayer for Maria
    Just my opinions (and I have been wrong before)!

pinkfly

It's heartening to read of cases like this where the investigators never give up.

Victim’s family knew man charged in 1957 murder of Sycamore girl

http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/news/...more-girl.html

Maria’s brother, Charles Ridulph, 65, told the Chicago Sun-Times that the arrest, after so many years, stunned him because he had assumed whoever killed her was long dead.

“Otherwise something would have come up before this time” said Ridulph, who was 11 when his sister vanished. “We’re in shock, to tell you the truth,”

Adding to his surprise, the alleged killer was a man from the Ridulph’s neighborhood.

“The shock that it [was] someone that we know from the neighborhood is just an added shock,” said Ridulph, who still lives in Sycamore.

McCullough, also known as John Tessier, was in the custody of the King County Sheriff’s Office in Seattle Friday, awaiting extradition to Illinois, according to DeKalb County authorities.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...t-train-ticket

(Sycamore Police Chief Donald) Thomas said McCullough, who was born with the surname Tessier, lived in Sycamore in 1957, about two blocks from Maria's family. Investigators at the time believed the killer was named "Johnny," but McCullough had an alibi, so they didn't pursue him as a suspect.

Recently, however, new information came to light that implicated McCullough, Thomas said.

Thomas said McCullough as a teen claimed he had been on a train traveling from Rockford to Chicago.

His alibi fell apart in 2010 when a former girlfriend came forward to report she had seen the train ticket decades ago and it was unused and unstamped
    , said Thomas, citing information contained in a warrant authorities obtained to search the suspect’s Seattle home.

That unused train ticket, dated the same time that Maria vanished, led authorities to refocus their attention on McCullough, Thomas said.

He said police continued their investigation, which this week led them to McCullouch’s door.

“Through a series of interviews, including with Mr. Tessier, we were able to determine he was the person who had killed Maria Ridulph,” the chief said. “We gleaned from that interview that he was the killer.”

...Asked whether McCullough confessed to the killing, Thomas declined to say. He added that the investigation was not based on DNA or other physical evidence, given that the slaying happened so long ago.

Thomas said McCullough is married and had worked as a police officer in a Washington town until the mid 1980s, when he was arrested and later convicted for having sex with a 13-year-old girl.
    Last edited by JoeFromLB; 07-02-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added text

I hope to God they are investigating all the unsolved missing/murdered children that this lowlife may have come into contact with. He obviously didn't stop with Maria...UGH..makes me sick he became a cop. Look how many children he could have lured with the cop uniform alone, not to mention be a part of the investigation to see what was happening. Would be nice to see other families also get closure.

Adding another article to this thread. Glad that they finally found her killer.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/07/02/...html?hpt=hp_t2
    Police arrest Seattle man in 1957 murder of Illinois girl

i wonder how long after he killed poor Maria did he leave Sycamore? Its interesting that the former girlfriend from decades ago reported the unused ticket. Does this mean that she always suspected he was responsible for the child's murder?

Hospitalization delays court hearing for Seattle man accused in 1957 Sycamore slaying

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7355524.story

July 2, 2011

...At a brief hearing today, King County District Court Judge Eileen Kato said she found “probable cause” to detain McCullough without bail, and rescheduled another bail hearing for Monday.

The judge said McCullough, who did not attend the hearing, was at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. His illness was not disclosed.

Man charged in 1957 Sycamore slaying had history of abuse: police

http://www.suntimes.com/6299675-417/...se-police.html

A man accused of killing a 7-year-old Sycamore girl in a case that made national news in 1957 has a long, troubled history of sexually abusing his relatives and others, court documents related to the murder of Maria Ridulph alleged...

(Much more information in the article about his background, the girlfriend, and what led up to the arrest.)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromLB View Post
    Man charged in 1957 Sycamore slaying had history of abuse: police

http://www.suntimes.com/6299675-417/...se-police.html

A man accused of killing a 7-year-old Sycamore girl in a case that made national news in 1957 has a long, troubled history of sexually abusing his relatives and others, court documents related to the murder of Maria Ridulph alleged...

(Much more information in the article about his background, the girlfriend, and what led up to the arrest.)
    How sad that it took so long to get this guy. I think most of us have been certain there were other victims since the story broke. I just hope he didn't murder any others.

I'm not really confident that will be the case, though.

Another article, or regurgitation of articles:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_889289.html

McCullough's arrest drew elation from Kathy Chapman, the 8-year-old girl Maria played with the night she vanished. Now a grandmother, Chapman told the Chicago Tribune that last year investigators showed her a photo of McCullough as a teenager in a photo lineup, and Chapman identified him as a young man from her Sycamore neighborhood who offered a piggyback ride to her and Maria as the two girls played under a corner streetlight. She knew him as "Johnny."
    Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast