Author who studied serial killers commits suicide on 6-6-06

jttnewguy

Reaction score
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Jun-13-Tue-2006/news/7920651.html

Best-selling author of book on serial killers kills himself

Las Vegas attorney Jason Moss, who turned his obsession with serial killers into the best-selling book "The Last Victim," killed himself in his Henderson home last week, authorities said....
Friends were asking Monday if there was significance in Moss' decision to kill himself on 6/6/06, a date similar to 666, which is said to be the "Number of the Beast" in the Bible's Book of Revelation.​

Moss studied devil worship as preparation for interviewing imprisoned serial killer Richard "Night Stalker" Ramirez, a Satanist.​

"It struck me that he did it on 6-6-6. I wonder if it was coincidence or if he planned to do it on that day for a reason," said counseling professor Jeffrey Kottler of California State University, Fullerton, Moss' co-author on "The Last Victim."​

"He's not particularly religious, but he got heavily into Satanic stuff while doing [his] book," Kottler said.​

In 1999, Moss landed on the New York Times' list of the nation's top-selling books with "The Last Victim," a graphic tell-all about his close encounters with infamous serial killers, including John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer, Ramirez and Charles Manson. Moss used trickery to develop pen-pal relationships with the murderers, portraying himself in letters to them as a worshiper or a victim that fit each killer's fantasies, leaving false clues about his sexual preferences, Satanic devotions and vulnerabilities.​
The most intense relationship Moss forged was with Gacy, who killed 33 young men and boys, having sex with most of them before strangling and burying them in the crawl space of his Illinois home.​

The book describes Moss' visit to Gacy in prison only two months before the killer's 1994 execution, an encounter during which Moss claimed he was almost raped by the notorious "killer clown." Moss said in a 1999 interview with the Review-Journal that frequent nightmares of the two days he spent with Gacy began to fade only when he began telling people his story."The Last Victim's" lurid copy, including sexually explicit letters from Dahmer and Gacy, led to it selling by the truckload only days after its publication. The hardcover racked up 76,000 sales in its first 10 weeks of release.​

I wonder if he got too deep into their minds and acts and, ultimately, couldn't deal with so much evil. Never learned to back away or had a predisposition to depression and this encompassed him. In any event it is a sad ending.

concernedperson said:
I wonder if he got too deep into their minds and acts and, ultimately, couldn't deal with so much evil. Never learned to back away or had a predisposition to depression and this encompassed him. In any event it is a sad ending.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think it is good for anyone to dabble in
satanic stuff...evil...and to get into the minds of such evil people. His intentions were probably good but something went wrong at some point. That's to bad. I don't know what his background was but I would think that a person who dabbles in that stuff even for research better have a real strong faith in the Lord...I mean a CLOSE RELATIONSHIP with HIM and be prepared to be in prayer a LOT for their own protection.

I read that book several years ago, it was very strange. He used to accept collect calls from these guys, Gacy, Dahmer, etc. His phone bills were astronomical. Even in the book he said that it was affecting him negatively. They told him things that he didn't (and nobody) should have heard, horrible details about their crimes. I'm not surprised it literally drove him crazy, but I am surprised it took this long. It is a shame he didn't get some kind of help, he was super smart, and should have known to seek aid. How sad, Last Victim indeed.

A friend of mine was one of Moss's professors at UM Ann Arbor. From what he said about Jason, I have a feeling this won't surprise him. Said Moss was a good student, but it was pretty obvious that few gears were stripped even then.

Steve

How awful. His website is still running like normal too.

I just remember a detective friend of mine. He says that in his division here, they rotate Child Sex Crimes & murders after 3 years because the mental impact will be so self destructive after that, they would not be functional in society at all.

Can you imagine? Being transfered out of your job after 3 years? What kind of awful crap do you have to listen to in order to be commited?

I wonder if his work is the BIG reason he left this world? I think it's mostly responsible.

:(

blueclouds said:
How awful. His website is still running like normal too.

I just remember a detective friend of mine. He says that in his division here, they rotate Child Sex Crimes & murders after 3 years because the mental impact will be so self destructive after that, they would not be functional in society at all.

Can you imagine? Being transfered out of your job after 3 years? What kind of awful crap do you have to listen to in order to be commited?

I wonder if his work is the BIG reason he left this world? I think it's mostly responsible.

:(
John Douglas came down with brain fever trying to track down serial killers by "thinking the way they do".

BillyGoatGruff said:
John Douglas came down with brain fever trying to track down serial killers by "thinking the way they do".
Whats that?

Wow, how sad. Did they mention how he killed himself? Are they positive it was suicide. I also, agree that his focus on such macabre issues contributed but he was probably already emotionally disturbed to go to that extreme.

michelle said:
Whats that?
Meningitis. Close enough. Not that all the serial craziness caused it, but the Douglas's non-stop work ethic apparently didn't help, and add to that the inherent stress, and yeah, he pretty much did almost die of "brain fever."

Steve

lilsister said:
Wow, how sad. Did they mention how he killed himself? Are they positive it was suicide. I also, agree that his focus on such macabre issues contributed but he was probably already emotionally disturbed to go to that extreme.
According to the article, he shot himself in the head. The police department spokesman said that there was no evidence of foul play.

I read "The Last Victim" he co-authored. I was intrigued in that morbid way... but I remember thinking how hard that must have been on Mr. Moss. Listening to all that ickyness. Poor guy just got in too deep, I think.:mad:

What has he been working on more recently? Was it along the same lines as "The Last Victim"?

I had bought this book a while back and it was lost in a pile of books in my basement. When I saw on here that he had taken his own life, I pulled the book out to read. I have almost finished it and haven't slept much this week. I don't know why. True crime books usualy don't cause insomnia for me. Maybe it is because while I am reading his thoughts in his book, I know how the story turns out for him (suicide). How sad. I feel so bad for his family. I also wonder what he was up to lately. Does any body know any more about what happened to him after his book became a best seller? He had wanted to be a criminal behaviorist for the FBI. Maybe that didn't work out.

I just went to his website and see he was a criminal defense attorney. (I see now that was mentioned above ). There is a recent (and very different from the book) picture of him. Sad.

concernedperson said:

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. Friedrich Nietzsche

I, too, read the book quite some time ago. If I'm not mistaken, Jason was in high school when he began corresponding with Gacy, Dahmer, Ramirez, etc. I remember being shocked at his ability to communicate with these guys on their level - especially considering his own age.

His experiences with Gacy - which were far more intense than any other he wrote to - were absolutely creepy. While reading about his visits with Gacy, it turned my stomach. I can only imagine how those dealings have ate away at Jason since.

Such a shame. :(

Does it bother anyone besides me that he lied to these people, gaining trust he did not deserve and exploiting these people's mental illnesses for his own profit motives? He wasn't a very nice man, in my opinion and I do not feel sorry for him in the least. You play with fire, and you get burned.

Anyway, that's my train of thought on this. :)

GlitchWizard said:
Does it bother anyone besides me that he lied to these people, gaining trust he did not deserve and exploiting these people's mental illnesses for his own profit motives? He wasn't a very nice man, in my opinion and I do not feel sorry for him in the least. You play with fire, and you get burned.

Anyway, that's my train of thought on this. :)

I've never really thought of it that way. I always looked at it from the other side - that he was telling them what he thought they wanted to know in order to gain information from them. He was fascinated with the criminal mind and wanted to work for the FBI. His ultimate goal was to be a criminal behavioralist (or maybe it was psychologist).

Perhaps writing a book about hs experiences wasn't the 'proper' thing to do, but I certainly found it interesting.

Just my thoughts.

ETA - I do find it interesting that he was a criminal DEFENSE attorney. I would have thought he'd work for the other side - putting away the evil people he tried so hard to understand.

hmmm, interesting take on it GlitchWizard. I am still of the mind that he was just fascinated by them and wanted to understand them more. Wonder why he did not become a profiler if that is what he wanted to do? Anyway, interesting take. It's good to hear different perspectives.

Oh, I just had a thought (and believe me I don't have many of those;) ). What if he immersed himself so much in the 'thoughts' of these guys that he started having thoughts of harming another person himself and instead choose to take his own life.

Maybe. Or maybe he finally felt guilty for being such a traitor. :)

I have DR inmates as pen pals and none of my letters are dark and ominous. They're actually nicer and more cheery than conversations I have with co workers.

I have to admit, though, I'm more interested in the person than the criminal, though, so my questions are more "What do you think" and less "Do you want to eat my brains" or whatever. :)

To be TOTALLY HONEST - it's far scarier to realize how simmilar serial killers are to all of us than it is to realize how different they are. Read up on the BTK killer and see - that's your neighbor, your friend, your church leader - just a guy. Not a monster.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back