1147 users online (218 members and 929 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VT - Attempted Murder Case Based on Love

news link

A 79 year old man had a crush on a 53 year old woman.When he found at that she was getting married,he went to her home to murder.
    The woman managed to get the gun from him before he could discharge it.

Oh my goodness! I'm so thankful she was able to get the gun away from him! From what little I read, this has to be a mental health issue....?

Wow.... Talk about fatal attraction!!

Whomever started and named this thread may want to think - attempted murder based on obsession and delusion and a feeling of ownership of a women.

No love involved here, except maybe in the mind of the man who attempted to kill the women......

Based on love.....sure....I killed my kids because I loved them so much, I killed my fiance because I loved her so much, I killed my wife because I was so in love with her....I attempted to kill a women because I loved her so much......

Murder, abuse, attempted murder, is NEVER based on love, because after all you don't hurt, attempt to kill or kill someone you love.......

Please......

Yeah, "love" is being used pretty loosely here. This SOB was obsessed and felt this woman was his to have. A classic stalker. Sad and dangerous.

Btw-the title of the thread came from a news headline, not the poster. Leave it to a local TV news station to be uninformed, naive, and just plain wrong about the motivation here. I wonder if local TV news teams actually, you know, read up on things like stalking? Or anything?

Btw-if he was 59 or 39 instead of 79, there wouldn't be this "Aww, poor man" reaction in the reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    Whomever started and named this thread may want to think - attempted murder based on obsession and delusion and a feeling of ownership of a women.

No love involved here, except maybe in the mind of the man who attempted to kill the women......

Based on love.....sure....I killed my kids because I loved them so much, I killed my fiance because I loved her so much, I killed my wife because I was so in love with her....I attempted to kill a women because I loved her so much......

Murder, abuse, attempted murder, is NEVER based on love, because after all you don't hurt, attempt to kill or kill someone you love.......

Please......
    cyberlaw
    Just so you know,that is the link and the headline that was in the news.Read posts before you assume.I did not comment on the story when I posted it.Look at the post.All it contained was the news story.The title was from the article.
    Did you even click on the link and look at the article?Apparently not,otherwise you would not have put up that disrespectful post.I do not need to think about anything.YOU need to think before you flame.I posted what the article said.It is obvious who started the thread,so there is no need for the "whomever started and named the thread" line...
    PLEASE!!!!

Hello Bbmcrae ,
    I appreciate your post very much.

news link

Morgan, Vermont - June 15, 2006

Lloyd Smith may not look like it now, but Police say this 79-year-old man was full of strength when he tried to shoot and kill a 53-year-old woman he had a crush on. Smith is feeling ill, and has not eaten since being taken into custody, that's why he was wheeled into a courtroom in a wheelchair.

"He looks like he's an older man, but at that time he had a rifle so he would have looked a little different," said Vermont State Police Lt. Leo Bachand.

Ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows
    "He looks like he's an older man, but at that time he had a rifle so he would have looked a little different"
    This comment struck me as humorous.

Now, before anyone gets mad at me - remember, I find humor in weird places, but it is totally separate from the rest of the story. The rest of the story is horrible, yes, but this comment is such an understatement, I loved the phrasing of it.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

O.K., mea culpa.....I could not link to the story.....so I was unaware of the "newsline".

I do hope that "someone" may have contacted the news agency and informed then that their title will just feed into the myth that murder or attempted murder is never based in or on love.......

As a matter of fact, I wrote the news station. My quibble was more over their lousy choice of words and lazy reporting. Here it is:

Dear WCAX:

I was reading news stories from Google News and came across this story on your site:

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp...235&nav=4QcSou

My first impression is mild disbelief in the choice of the word "love" to describe a classic stalking case. This fella's one-way obsession and premeditated, violent behavior is hardly a case of love, a crush, or anything sweet and innocent. Laws have been passed, studies made, piles of books written, and a general understanding of the concept of stalking has become part of our cultural language.

So, my question is...is this the first you've heard of stalking? If so, I can name a few dozen books on the subject. Though I think you do. Either way, it comes off (and got under my skin) as an example of poorly-articulated, uninformed, and naive writing. Which is the one thing that journalism should be about-good writing. And, at least, the perception of being well-informed.

Just an opinion-

M.

I would think that the title of the article was used more in a sarcastic way than actually saying that the old guy loved the woman he attempted to murder.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    If I read it right, the one of the articles states that she took care of Smitty. It also states that he was becoming a confused as he got older. Perhaps dementia was settling in (or had taken over)? Maybe he was delusional and did think she was his wife or something?

I would want an unbiased evaluation of him before just saying he is a classical stalker and should be locked up forever. At his age, dementia is a rather common thing.

Then again, he could just be a mean old bird who deserves a nice, long jail term.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

Just for the record, 73 is not that old nowadays...I am sure my mom would appreciate this post as she will be turning 70 in a few years!!!

You know what's most disturbing to me about this case? There's a common and widespread assumption that people over a "certain age" are unlikely to engage in violent crimes, which is why you see news stories all the time about killers who are in their 70's and 80's who are up for parole, and people always seem to say that he's "no longer a threat to society" so why keep him locked up at that age. I guess this story shows that we need to think twice about that assumption.

Although, on the other hand, I guess you could also say that since the victim was able to get the gun from him before he could pull the trigger, maybe he wasn't really that much of a threat after all.

Quote Originally Posted by cathieq
    Oh my goodness! I'm so thankful she was able to get the gun away from him! From what little I read, this has to be a mental health issue....?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee
    If I read it right, the one of the articles states that she took care of Smitty. It also states that he was becoming a confused as he got older. Perhaps dementia was settling in (or had taken over)? Maybe he was delusional and did think she was his wife or something?

I would want an unbiased evaluation of him before just saying he is a classical stalker and should be locked up forever. At his age, dementia is a rather common thing.

Then again, he could just be a mean old bird who deserves a nice, long jail term.

Hello Cathieq and Tennesse,
    This is what was said on our news;

A man accused of attempted murder will undergo a mental evaluation.
    news link
    Bachand said family and friends told police Smith's mental condition had been deteriorating over some time. He said the psychiatric examination was initially requested by Smith's court-appointed lawyer, Gilbert Power of Newport and then reinforced by two mental health professionals who evaluated him at the request of the court.

Orleans County Deputy State's Attorney Joseph Mulgari said Smith will be evaluated for competency to stand trial and to determine his sanity at the time of the offense.

Mulgari said mental health professionals had to be brought in to meet with Smith since Loomis worked in local mental health services.

Mulgari said that Power said he had reason to believe "he might not have been fully aware, either on the night he went into the victim's home or what is going on currently."

He said Power's concerns were supported by the two mental health screeners. Power didn't return a call for comment Thursday.
    full story link
    Last edited by dark_shadows; 06-22-2006 at 05:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast