1564 users online (357 members and 1207 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NY - Homeless Man Arrested After 4 New York City Stabbings in 12 Hours

news link

NEW YORK A homeless man was arrested Wednesday in the stabbing of four people, including three tourists, who were attacked in a 12-hour span in Manhattan.
    Investigators were questioning the 21-year-old man but did not have a motive.

Two of the four victims were stabbed near a Times Square hotel; the others were attacked inside the subway system. Three were hospitalized, and police said they were expected to survive.
    Police spokesman Paul Browne said the suspect admitted stabbing two Canadians, a Mexican immigrant and a young man from Texas.

I read an article today about this: One of the Canadian women is in hospital in critical condition with unstable vital signs.

I hope the article that says that she is expected to survive pre dates the article I read today.

This does make us re-think about taking the kids to New York for an end of school shopping spree and mini vacation.

Or to the USA at all.......

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    I read an article today about this: One of the Canadian women is in hospital in critical condition with unstable vital signs.

I hope the article that says that she is expected to survive pre dates the article I read today.

This does make us re-think about taking the kids to New York for an end of school shopping spree and mini vacation.

Or to the USA at all.......
    I think that is a bit dramatic and unfair. Tragic and unfortunate things can happen anyway - even in Canada.

May I make a suggestion, please come to my city of 4 million people with an average murder rate of about 50 people a year and then go to a US city with a population of 4 million and then you can tell me if you notice a difference.

You will notice a "huge" difference, especially when it comes to safety, guns and violence....

As if it was by "happenstance" that three of the four people were "tourists".

IF we go to New York, I would probably hire an "armed" guard, after all we are "too Canadian" to even appreciate or even know if we are in harms way or could be in harms way, while we are shopping on a busy street or area.

We just have no reference, experience or knowledge of "that sort" of thing as it is not "common" in Canada.

My friends was "mugged" on the street in broad daylight in New York while she was there on a business meeting, in a busy area, with other people around, at gun point.

She was so "traumatized" by it that she never spoke about it to anyone except her husband and the person who "helped" her get over the trauma in counselling.

If I ever saw a person holding a gun, I would probably faint.......as I have never seen a "real live" gun in my life and probably never will.

I am certainly sorry your friend had to experience such a horrific event, but that doesn't mean New York City is a bad place. I have lived in this amazing city for close to 7 years now and while yes, bad things happen here in there, this is NOT a dangerous city. Are there parts that experience more crimes than others? Absolutely. But again, that is TRUE in EVERY city. The most violent thing that happened to me occured in my parent's house in a small town of 3000. Go figure.

As for the the attacker who stabbed four people yesterday, this was a mentally ill homeless man who had a prior record in Boston. He was accidentally let out of jail due to an error in his file. I seriously doubt he was targeting only tourists. The fact of the matter is that NYC is a city full of tourists. I think it is absolutely ludicrous that you think you would need an armed guard to be in New York. Give me a freaking break.

I know these stabbings were quite serious, but am I the only one who smiled at the title of this thread? "Homeless man arrested after stabbing 4 in 12 hours..." As if the homeless of New York are allowed to stab 2 or 3 every half-day, but this homeless man exceeded the limit!

(Cyber, Master, can't we all just get along? Canadian cities are comparatively clean and safe relative to New York City (where I lived for a decade during which I usually vacationed in Canada). On the other hand, NYC is the most exciting and diverse city in the world. Don't deprive your kids of a great educational experience, Cyber, because of violent events that are relatively few in number when you consider that the NYC metropolitan area has approximately the same number of people as all of Canada.

And last I heard, New York City did have rather strict gun controls compared to the rest of the U.S. Is this no longer true?)

Please come to New York. I swear we'll be on our best behavior.

I know NY is a city known for world class attraction, plays, art, culture and is diverse.

Several people came to the aid of the victims of this man, as well as "ensuring" that he was "apprehended" by LE.

That scores points in my book, but again I am "anxious" because we have the kids, I want everyone to enjoy themselves, not have Mom and Dad "be extra diligent" and "extremely worried".

But then my another of my friends went to NY with her teenage daugher and her daughters friend, now three times, and they came back saying how much of a good time they had. Of course Tiffany's was the "best" according the the girls......you know teenage girls, New York, Shopping....

Hubby says: Cyberlaw worries a little bit too much and that this "situation" is not a "true" representation" of New York. As one poster said, New York has "a lot of people" and the majority are just fine.

There are areas of my city, that I would not even consider driving through, let alone shopping or anything else. I guess what concerns me is that I know where these areas are in my City, but not New York.

Except of course the obvious like Hell's Kitchen, that does not need any further clarification......I am sure that the "main" areas are patrolled and that "those types" of people may not be in the tourist areas.

I hope......

Just like tourist "usually" tour downtown and other tourist attractions in my City, it is not like they are going to go into the "bad areas" because there is nothing there that ANY tourist would like to see.

So the vote is: Hubby, oldest, middle, and youngest vs."over protective" Cyberlaw. Majority rules so: Soon off to New York we go.....

Cyber, New Yorkers are intensely aware of what areas of their city are generally unsafe. Ask any of them (including on this forum) and they will be happy to enlighten you.

And have a great trip!

Oh, thank you very much Nova, I really do appreciate it.

That is very kind of you to inform me of that, I feel a little bit less anxious knowing that "I can ask a native" New Yorker the ins and outs, what we should be aware of and what areas to avoid.

Because it is not like a "tourist" association will tell you this......

Actually CyberLaw - hell's kitchen hasn't been a bad area for years. It has been a booming neighborhood with great restaurants and boutiques for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterj
    Actually CyberLaw - hell's kitchen hasn't been a bad area for years. It has been a booming neighborhood with great restaurants and boutiques for several years now.
    Ya see, Cyber? My experience before, during and after I lived in New York is that most residents are very helpful to tourists. It's a huge metropolis, of course, and people are very busy, but on the whole, they are not unwilling to advise tourists.

More NYC advice - don't bother wasting your time by visiting Times Square. It is a section full of bright lights, insanely overpriced restaurants with crappy food, and vendors trying to take advantage of tourists any chance they can. If you really want to see all the lights and everything, go during the week during the slower hours. Most of us locals do everything in our power to avoid the nightmare that is that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterj
    More NYC advice - don't bother wasting your time by visiting Times Square. It is a section full of bright lights, insanely overpriced restaurants with crappy food, and vendors trying to take advantage of tourists any chance they can. If you really want to see all the lights and everything, go during the week during the slower hours. Most of us locals do everything in our power to avoid the nightmare that is that area.
    I understand Times Square just ain't the same without the hookers and drug dealers, but it's still the Center of the Known Universe. Everyone needs to visit at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    I understand Times Square just ain't the same without the hookers and drug dealers, but it's still the Center of the Known Universe. Everyone needs to visit at least once.
    I guess so since that's what everyone seems to know of NYC, but I truly hate that area. IMO, there is no reason to eat in any restaurant in that area and it is so overcrowded. It definitely is worth it to see it once, but I just don't understand the fascination with it. Unless you are going to the TICKETS booth - then it is entirely worth it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast