"The Abrams Report" Without Dan?! Dan's Big Promotion - New GM of MSNBC

13th Juror

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
Visit site

MSNBC names Abrams as new general manager

Correspondent to keep NBC beat but give up his cable legal show

As general manager, Dan Abrams will report to NBC News executive Phil Griffin in a management team that replaces Rick Kaplan, who left MSNBC last week.

NEW YORK - NBC News legal correspondent Dan Abrams was put in charge of MSNBC on Monday - and his first move was to take himself off the air there.

It was not immediately clear whether the legal-oriented "The Abrams Report" would continue with a different host or whether it would be replaced by another show.

As general manager of the cable channel, Abrams will report directly to NBC News executive Phil Griffin, another MSNBC veteran. The management team replaces Rick Kaplan, who left MSNBC last week.

Abrams, a Duke University graduate with a law degree from Columbia University, began peppering NBC News President Steve Capus with memos about how to improve MSNBC shortly after Capus took over his job about a year ago.

"His memos were thoughtful and insightful and provocative," Capus said. "There was one that was eight pages long. That was the one that made it clear to me that he was serious about an examination of the channel."

MSNBC has been mired in third place in the ratings behind Fox News Channel and CNN during virtually all of its 10-year history. Recently, pointed political shows such as "Countdown" with Keith Olbermann and "Hardball" with Chris Matthews have made some headway.

Those shows work because they are focused and viewers know what they're getting every day, Abrams said.

"Over the next few months, you will hopefully see the network become a little more exciting, a little more vibrant and a little more irreverent," Abrams said.

Griffin spent nearly a decade at MSNBC in various jobs, most recently as vice president of prime-time programming. He was moved last year to help oversee the successful revival of the "Today" show.

Abrams joined MSNBC as a general assignment correspondent in 1997 and became a regular contributor to various NBC broadcasts. He began "The Abrams Report" in December 2001.

Although he won't be on MSNBC, he will occasionally contribute on-air legal analysis to NBC News programs, the network said.

"Whatever he ends up doing, I have no doubt that Dan will bring a passion for the news to MSNBC's daily coverage," Capus said.

More on this story at these links ... "The Abrams Report" Front Page and MSNBC head Kaplan leaving network

So sorry to read that Dan will no longer be hosting his very informative legal show. :(

13th Juror

Yeah, I heard that the other day. Congrats to him. Will miss his show. Been watching him since O.J. trial when he was at CTV. Man, that O.J. trial sure helped alot of jounalists careers.

kato said:
Yeah, I heard that the other day. Congrats to him. Will miss his show.

Been watching him since O.J. trial when he was at CTV. Man, that O.J. trial sure helped alot of jounalists careers.

Me too, Kato. I first became aware of Dan during his reporting of the O.J. trial for CTV. What a long haul that was! <LOL> 9 months of a circus atmosphere in a courtroom - and a very unsatisfactory conclusion! Total bummer! As I remember - Dan was an excellent reporter but still looked almost like a teenager back then. :laugh:

I must be the last to know about Dan's departure from his show. :confused: Frankly, I was shocked yesterday when I tuned in to the last 15 minutes and heard the female stand-in host respond to the email about Dan's promotion & departure. I'm thrilled for him, of course - but wondered why he immediately took himself off the schedule.

Even as GM of MSNBC - couldn't he also host the Abrams Report?

I wonder what kind of changes he'll make for MSNBC to be more competitive with Fox (the biggest rival) and CNN??

What would you guys like to see on MSNBC's show schedule?

I'd kinda like to see Geoff Feiger step in and take over the Abrams Report spot. :)

13th Juror

13th Juror said:

Me too, Kato. I first became aware of Dan during his reporting of the O.J. trial for CTV. What a long haul that was! <LOL> 9 months of a circus atmosphere in a courtroom - and a very unsatisfactory conclusion! Total bummer! As I remember - Dan was an excellent reporter but still looked almost like a teenager back then. :laugh:

I must be the last to know about Dan's departure from his show. :confused: Frankly, I was shocked yesterday when I tuned in to the last 15 minutes and heard the female stand-in host respond to the email about Dan's promotion & departure. I'm thrilled for him, of course - but wondered why he immediately took himself off the schedule.

Even as GM of MSNBC - couldn't he also host the Abrams Report?

I wonder what kind of changes he'll make for MSNBC to be more competitive with Fox (the biggest rival) and CNN??

What would you guys like to see on MSNBC's show schedule?

I'd kinda like to see Geoff Feiger step in and take over the Abrams Report spot. :)

13th Juror

He's still quite boyish looking.

For one thing (too late now) The Abrams Report should have been in a later time slot cuz I'm usually not home in time to watch it and I would have watched it every day.

I totally agree with the time slot. Here on the East Coast - 4 & 6 PM are not necessarily the best times for many viewers. IMO - at least one should have been in the primetime hours.

Personally, I much preferred it when the Abrams Report was available for viewing in 3 separate time slots - 6 pm, 11 pm & 4 am. Lately I've been recording it along with Catherine Crier.

In order to compete with FOX & CNN - MSNBC has been shuffling their schedule all over the board. Hard to keep up sometimes with all the changes. LOL

13th Juror :)

13th Juror said:

I totally agree with the time slot. Here on the East Coast - 4 & 6 PM are not necessarily the best times for many viewers. IMO - at least one should have been in the primetime hours.

Personally, I much preferred it when the Abrams Report was available for viewing in 3 separate time slots - 6 pm, 11 pm & 4 am. Lately I've been recording it along with Catherine Crier.

In order to compete with FOX & CNN - MSNBC has been shuffling their schedule all over the board. Hard to keep up sometimes with all the changes. LOL

Yes, like they do NG, LKL, etc.. I normally don't watch MSNBC at night. I read today (Drudge I think) that Keith Oberman is in hot water for responding using nasty and foul language to answer viewer's e-mails that he did not like.

kato said:
Yes, like they do NG, LKL, etc.. I normally don't watch MSNBC at night. I read today (Drudge I think) that Keith Oberman is in hot water for responding using nasty and foul language to answer viewer's e-mails that he did not like.

Wow - I hadn't heard that about Keith Olberman. Hope it's not true. I adore his show! Love his sense of humor in bringing us the happenings of the day with a sense of levity. Somehow - using inappropriate verbiage in responding to viewer emails - well, to me - that just doesn't sound like something he would do. But ..what do I know?! <LOL> Maybe it has to do with Keith's running feud with O'Reilly & his fans. Don't know. :confused:

Olberman has gained enough popularity recently that his "Countdown" program now airs at 9 AM (a repeat from the previous day's show) as well as at 8 PM & midnight.

I'll have to check out Drudge. Thanks Kato! :D

Friday - June 16th - Time: "End of Show"

Susan Filan hosts - Dan appears at closing.

Dan's last closing argument today on Abrams Report! Very touching. He's bidding adieu to his show viewers but, not "good-bye" as he hopes they'll see his hand in the positive changes he institutes on MSNBC-TV.

Plus - Dan answers recent viewer email.

Abrams will still be the legal correspondent for MSNBC but continuing to host his own show was just too much in addition to running the MSNBC TV network - but, he said he did actually consider it. He has not yet decided what program will replace the Abrams Report.

13th Juror

13th Juror said:

13th Juror

Wow, I think their ratings would sky rocket if they got Geoff!

Susan Filan has been filling in all week and I hope it's not her. She's very pleasant but very deadpan. They need someone with a bit of emotion!

Bobbisangel said:
Has Dan ever been married or is he divorced?

My understanding from something that was said by one of his frequent guest pundits a while back is that Dan is not married - never has been. Sorry that I can't remember who it was.

Maybe he's too busy & focused on work-related stuff to nurture a long term relationship ... ?
(don't know - just guessing)

Anyone have any truly substantial info on Dan?

13th Juror

Here's a tad from Wikipedia:
"Dan Abrams (born May 20, 1966) is the chief legal correspondent for NBC News, former host of The Abrams Report and the current General Manager of MSNBC. Prior to joining MSNBC, Abrams was a reporter for Court TV, and he has continued his legal reporting on his current network." And "From 2003-04, Abrams dated actress Elisabeth Röhm."
Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Abrams

I also recall he had a scare with testicular cancer. Yep, here is that info:

"NBC News' Dan Abrams is going public with his private battle against testicular cancer.
Just over a year after undergoing surgery to remove the cancer, Abrams, 38, is fine, but wants others to know about the cancer and early detection. "I want to be able to help," he told the Daily News.

Abrams - NBC News' chief legal correspondent and the host of "The Abrams Report," a nightly news program on MSNBC - was diagnosed in July 2003.

Originally published on September 9, 2004"

Link:http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/ent_radio/story/230231p-197732c.html

13th Juror said:

Abrams will still be the legal correspondent for MSNBC but continuing to host his own show was just too much in addition to running the MSNBC TV network - but, he said he did actually consider it. He has not yet decided what program will replace the Abrams Report.

13th Juror
I will miss Dan so much. I watch his show faithfully. If I can't watch it, I set my DVR. I love the way he handles himself... never too full of himself, always is on the side of humility, and rallies for injustices of the law to be corrected. I am so sad to see him go.

And the quote above says that he doesn't know which program will replace The Abrams Report. I hope it's just a name change. I really think MSNBC should keep the same format- the legal news type show that Dan's is.

Susan Filan is a fine lady, and is very bright, but she just doesn't have that... oh... what word am I looking for..... 'shine' that an anchor needs. She's very monotone, and not animated enough. She's great as a commentator, but I haven't enjoyed watching her this week.

Anyway, with all that said, I wish Dan the best of luck, but will be very sad to see the show go. I was rather attached to it.... lol I need a life :doh:

Who will replace him?
Hard act to follow.
13th Juror said G Feiger, I like that choice...
Think Feiger would give up his law practice?:waitasec:

I hope that Susan who has been doing the show keeps doing it. To tell the truth I have gotten to where I don't care for Dan that much anymore. Since he started on the "Duke Rape Case" I can barely stand to watch his show. I don't know if it is because Duke was his college or what but his attitude towards the gal that was supposedly raped is just horrible. It seems like he has taken the whole thing personally. I even sent him an email and told him that he seems to be to emotionally invested in the case and maybe he should cover something else on his show.

I hope they keep the show but it will be a breath of fresh air for someone else to do it.

If you listen to not only Dan, but all the news stations seem to be on the Dukes side....my opinon....

Pharlap said:
If you listen to not only Dan, but all the news stations seem to be on the Dukes side....my opinon....

I know but Dan just seems to take it so personally. Like he has some investment in the whole case and seeing to it that those 3 guys go free.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back