1243 users online (207 members and 1036 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NY - Kids nearly killed in mom's suicide, dad charged, 14 June 2006

Posted: Friday, 16 June 2006 6:01PM

STONY POINT, N.Y. (1010 WINS) -- Knowing that his wife was planning her suicide, a 34-year-old architect stepped out of their minivan on a mountainside above the Hudson River and let her drive over the 300-foot cliff with their two daughters in the back seat, police said Friday.

Hejin Han's death-wish plunge down the side of Bear Mountain on Wednesday was successful; she died at the scene. The children, buckled into their car seats, somehow survived without serious injury.

He did not explain why the girls, 5-year-old Ariana and 3-year-old Itana, were left inside the vehicle.
    Police who interrogated Han after his 35-year-old wife's death said he drove her to Bear Mountain State Park, 45 miles north of New York City, on Wednesday knowing she wanted to commit suicide there _ and knowing she had earlier threatened to harm the children.

Detective Sgt. Steven Huff of the state park police said in the criminal complaint that at about 5:30 p.m., Han parked the 2003 Honda Odyssey near the cliff, then got out and walked away.

Park police Col. James Warwick said Hejin Han moved into the driver's seat, shifted the minivan into gear and drove between two of the boulders that are placed along the cliff to keep cars from skidding off.

He said Victor Han ``watched the vehicle go over.'' more at link:http://www.1010wins.com/pages/47380.php
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

How do they know it's as the husband said that his wife committed suicide? Maybe he drove her to do it or maybe he actually did it.
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by dottierainbow
    How do they know it's as the husband said that his wife committed suicide? Maybe he drove her to do it or maybe he actually did it.
    Amy
    The article indicates that three hikers saw the crash and that one of them called the police.

It just gets worse everyday. I can't believe that man would stand there and watch his two little girls go over that cliff with their mother when he could have kept that from happening. I'm so relieved that the girls are alright. That is nothing short of a miracle.

I hope that this creep doesn't get to keep those little girls now. He doesn't deserve them for one second. I wonder why he didn't get some kind of help for his wife instead of driving her up there so that she could carry through with her threat. I hope he is charged with a crime. He may as well have placed a gun with 3 bullets in her hand and said "go for it." There must be something LE can find him guilty of. He did participate in his wife's death and no thanks to him that the girls didn't die too. What a father

He had a girlfriend:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-360622c.html
    "During an investigation into the suicide, Victor's co-worker Tiana Yin told police that she had a "romantic relationship" with him.

Victor Han, 34, an architect, visited Yin's Staten Island house once or twice a week, Yin's neighbor Alisa Kravets, 20, said yesterday. "He'll either drop her off and leave or he'll stay for two to three hours," said Kravets, who last saw Han and Yin together three weeks ago at Yin's modest home."

On the plus side, we know that the kid's car seats worked well.

Han should be charged with voluntary manslaughter, at least. I agree that he shouldn't have those little girls. It looked like Hejin had some cousins who were taking care of the little girls, so she does have some family who might be willing to take them.

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh
    It looked like Hejin had some cousins who were taking care of the little girls, so she does have some family who might be willing to take them.
    This psychiatrist interviewed in this article makes an interesting point which we often forget about:

"The kids are at risk for a whole host of mental, emotional and psychological problems as they go through life," Ferro said. "Who is going to raise them? If they're in the care of someone who has lost an adult child, they could be depressed or disturbed themselves."

http://tinyurl.com/ggy9n

On Dan Abram's today it was reported that Victor plans to sue the police department for slandering his name and reputation, and for not giving him food or water for 14 hours.

Poor baby......

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel
    It just gets worse everyday. I can't believe that man would stand there and watch his two little girls go over that cliff with their mother when he could have kept that from happening. I'm so relieved that the girls are alright. That is nothing short of a miracle.

I hope that this creep doesn't get to keep those little girls now. He doesn't deserve them for one second. I wonder why he didn't get some kind of help for his wife instead of driving her up there so that she could carry through with her threat. I hope he is charged with a crime. He may as well have placed a gun with 3 bullets in her hand and said "go for it." There must be something LE can find him guilty of. He did participate in his wife's death and no thanks to him that the girls didn't die too. What a father
    According to Sabal's link, he is charged with several crimes:

Victor Han has been charged with promoting a suicide attempt, two counts of reckless endangerment all felonies and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor.

More comments from the psychologist:

A person who has a romantic relationship with an outsider might be more unconsciously amenable to helping a spouse commit suicide as a way to resolve his or her own emotional conflict, he said.

"What we could see is that when people hear about an individual being suicidal, there's a sense of disbelief, that it can't happen, it's not going to happen, the day is beautiful, we just had a nice event happen, she's here with her children, this isn't not going to happen," Tarle said. "The other position is people can get burned out taking care of a chronically unhappy person, especially if they're not getting treatment. You get a sense that life must move on and they get less vigilant about a partner that may be having those kinds of thoughts."

Tarle said a person who involves children in a suicide attempt could be working from any number of premises, but suggested three: a person who feels they cannot leave the children behind because they are too small to be left on their own and who feels the family will all meet again in heaven; a person who feels the world is such a bad place that they want to save their children from it or from growing up in a world without a parent; or a person who is so angry at another person that they are willing to harm what the other person most values, including the children.
    -------------------------
    The younger daughter, especially, could be at a bigger risk of emotional damage than her older sister because a 3-year-old's world is so closely tied to parents. An older child is more familiar with relatives and may have friends and teachers to interact with; a 3-year-old often has only the parental tie, he said.
    ------------------------
    "The biggest tragedy is this poor lady (apparently) didn't go for treatment," he said.

I'm sorry, but this story still doesn't make sense. The husband's version doesn't sit right with me. I think there's more to come. Who the hell would act this way and let his children be endangered?

Evidently, prior to the suicide, she received a cell phone call which greatly upset her. I wonder if the call was from Victor's mistress? She and Victor fought, she became distraught and began threatening suicide, which she had done before. In anger and mounting frustration, he parked his car in a precarious position and called her bluff (poor choice of words, I know...), perhaps saying, "Go ahead, kill yourself!" He began walking away, and she drove over the cliff. He probably didn't think she would follow through with her threats. He had a mistress, so he was probably disillusioned with his wife and marriage. He had started his own business and perhaps had financial pressures as well. So sad, but I agree that her decision to take her kids with her takes it to a whole other level. I think it shows the depth of her despair.

Quote Originally Posted by southerngirl
    On Dan Abram's today it was reported that Victor plans to sue the police department for slandering his name and reputation, and for not giving him food or water for 14 hours.

Poor baby......
    Send him to Guantanamo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eoanthropus Dawsoni
    This psychiatrist interviewed in this article makes an interesting point which we often forget about:

"The kids are at risk for a whole host of mental, emotional and psychological problems as they go through life," Ferro said. "Who is going to raise them? If they're in the care of someone who has lost an adult child, they could be depressed or disturbed themselves."

http://tinyurl.com/ggy9n

As a parent who lost an adult child through murder and has also raised my grandaughter I kind of take offense to that statement. Most of the kids do end up with relatives whether it is the grandparents or the deceased parent's siblings. The children need to be with family that they are familiar with. Family who can talk to them about the parent that died when they want to talk or look at pictures, etc. Each person has to be looked at individually. Of course when you lose an adult child you go through all of the stages of grief and you mourn that loss. It doesn't mean that you can't help the children or child too and be there for them. Resources are plenty when something like this happens and you can both go into therapy. It can work....I know. It isn't easy and sometimes the years can be long and rough but I still feel that my granddaughter was best off with me and her aunts and uncle. There isn't a child anywhere that is going to come through something like this without any emotional scars. Excuse me but I get a little touchy sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel
    As a parent who lost an adult child through murder and has also raised my grandaughter I kind of take offense to that statement. Most of the kids do end up with relatives whether it is the grandparents or the deceased parent's siblings. The children need to be with family that they are familiar with. Family who can talk to them about the parent that died when they want to talk or look at pictures, etc. Each person has to be looked at individually. Of course when you lose an adult child you go through all of the stages of grief and you mourn that loss. It doesn't mean that you can't help the children or child too and be there for them. Resources are plenty when something like this happens and you can both go into therapy. It can work....I know. It isn't easy and sometimes the years can be long and rough but I still feel that my granddaughter was best off with me and her aunts and uncle. There isn't a child anywhere that is going to come through something like this without any emotional scars. Excuse me but I get a little touchy sometimes

I agree with you. I don't think the father should ever have the girls because let's face it. He wanted to be rid of the first wife and the kids so he could move on to number two and begin a new family with her. However, I think the kids would be safe with the wife's family.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast