Mark Hacking stops selling murder memoribilia

I don't think any prisoner should be allowed to access the internet.

What kind of a sentence is 6 yrs to life?? I've never heard of something like that.

I was wondering the same thing Jilly how does someone get 6 to life for murdering their wife.I guess I should go read up on it..lol

That does seem like a strange sentence. Most likely, it means he's eligible for parole in 6 years.

Most states have a maximum/minimum combination for sentencing, i.e., a sentence of 10-15 means that it's a 15-year sentence but the person is eligible for parole after 10 years depending on how he behaves while in prison, if he completes classes, etc. Whether he gets parole or not is up to the parole board.

However, in many states, the minimum has to be some percentage of the maximum so that the 2 are related. For example, in Nevada, the minimum cannot be less than 40% of the max (in other words, you have to serve 40% of the max before you become eligible for parole), in Arizona, the minimum is 85% of the max, and in the federal system, the person has to serve 80% of the max before becoming eligible for parole.

A sentence of 6 to life seems very strange -- a life sentence, but you might get out on parole in 6 years. That seems really light for someone who killed his wife and buried her in a landfill. One would hope that the parole board doesn't actually give him parole that soon, but the fact that he's even eligible is a little disturbing.

Thanks jttnewguy for 'splaining! :)

Hopefully as you say, he will not get out in 6 yrs.

What a pig. That just shows how dense his mind is. I hope his parents found out and went to that prison and chewed a big hole in his azz.

I'll never understand where that 6 yrs came from. Is that the total value that the court put on Lori's life! It sure seems like it. So if he is a good boy will he get out in 6 lousy years? He knew exactly what he was doing when he picked up that gun and shot poor Lori. How could he only get 6 years? I guess if you want to murder someone Utah is the place to go and do it. I don't believe they have the death sentence but I have never seen a sentence so light in my life for murder.

Bobbisangel said:
..... I guess if you want to murder someone Utah is the place to go and do it. I don't believe they have the death sentence but I have never seen a sentence so light in my life for murder.
Here's an interesting bit of law-enforcement trivia about Utah...it does have the death penalty, and it is the only state in the union that still uses the firing squad as one means of execution (the defendant is allowed to choose his method of death -- lethal injection or firing squad).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back