GUILTY KS - Chelsea Brooks, 14, pregnant, found in shallow grave, Andover, 9 June 2006

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Chelsea Brooks, 14, was 9 months pregnant, and she disappeared on June 9, after going skating with friends. Her body was found partially buried Thurs.

Family says that she may have been seeing Elgin R. Robinson (no age given, but they named him, so he is probably over 18). Two others were also arrested, one was a 17 yo who wasn't named and another man who no info is available (three suspects arrested).

No Amber alert was issued as she had been thought to be a runaway until her body was found!

Records show that in Feb. Robinson was named as a defendent in a protection from abuse case filed by Casey's mother!

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/14846456.htm

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/14844199.htm

And they thought she was a runaway???? She had a protection order, she was 14, and she was 9 months pregnant?????

mysteriew said:
...And they thought she was a runaway???? She had a protection order, she was 14, and she was 9 months pregnant?????
What was going on in this girl's life?? I imagine that she got pregnant at 13 years old. She was in the 8th grade according to the article. Not once did they list who the "father" of the child was. I guess that the father would be charged with statutory rape because this girl was so young. Tragic, all the way around...

What is the age of consent in Kansas?
Police probably won't be able to file on any sex with a minor charges until DNA on the baby comes back.

This is what the girl's mother said in the protective order:

"The defendant has been in a sexual relationship with my minor daughter for at least eight months, perhaps longer. She is now pregnant, and he is psychologically manipulating her to keep secret the fact that he is the father. He needs to be restrained from contacting her so that she will feel comfortable to tell the truth. He has told her that he will die if he is put in jail."
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/14854207.htm

That was in Feb. and the protective order was granted.
Then in June the girl disappears and was found dead.

Friends she went skating with have admitted that she left the rink early to go see Robinson, who had just gotten out of jail. She took one of the friend's cell phones, and promised to be back by 8. At 8 she called and said that she would be back in an hour. When she didn't show up at 9, friends tried to call the cell phone and found it turned off.
http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/3190676.html

The 49 year old has now been named, more details.
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/local/crime_courts/14851583.htm

If this guy was afraid of going to jail if Chelsea gave his name then he must have known that they would nail him for rape of a child. That must have been why he murdered her. In order to get child support she would have to give his name and in order to get any help from DSHS she would have to give the father's name so they could go after him for support. Oh I wish she had stayed away from him.

I'm confused. When President Bush signed the "Laci and Connor Bill" didn't that mean that IN EVERY STATE if a pregnant woman was murdered the killer would be charged with two counts of murder? I know the bill wasn't just for California because I remember Sharon Rocha saying that Calif already had it. If that is true then why is LE unsure if they can charge 2 counts of 1st degree murder?

This young girl does not sound like a bad...wild...girl. Listening to what her friends and everyone who spoke about her had to say she sounds like a nice girl who was doing well in school and had a lot of good qualities. Her friend said that they were all surprised when she got pregnant so that tells me that she didn't have a bad reputation for sleeping around. It's just so sad that she somehow got mixed up with this loser who was headed no where.

My heart goes out to her family and friends. 14 years old with a little baby that never got to draw its first breath. Just graduated from 8th grade with her whole life ahead of her. Her family sound like a loving supportive family.

The killer might not have wanted to go to jail but he won't like prison any better. I'll bet he will be spending many years there and at 19 yrs those old cons will love to see him coming. I'll be curious to know how the 49 yr old and the 17 yr old fit into these murders.

No Amber alert was issued??? She was just 14!!! I just don't get it...I know they say they can't issue an alert unless their is a vehicle involved or something like that but it doesn't make any sense. She is a young girl gone missing----IMPLIMENT AN AMBERT ALERT (regardless if they originally think she ran away). Makes me think of little Amber Harris and the fact that they never issued an alert in her case either...and she ended up being murdered...it is just sooooo frustrating:furious:

Bobbisangel said:
I'm confused. When President Bush signed the "Laci and Connor Bill" didn't that mean that IN EVERY STATE if a pregnant woman was murdered the killer would be charged with two counts of murder? I know the bill wasn't just for California because I remember Sharon Rocha saying that Calif already had it. If that is true then why is LE unsure if they can charge 2 counts of 1st degree murder?

I think that is a federal law and only applies to federal crimes. That is why the pro-choice lobby was so against it - saying that it was really just pandering to the pro-life groups, because it would hardly ever be used. BUT, if this guy did anything to make this a federal crime (took her over state lines, mail fraud, anything) then the feds could take over the case and charge him with double murder and seek the DP. So, not for nothing, huh?

At least, that is the best I remember. Don't hold me to it.

The 17 year old was charged with capital murder and kidnapping. They plan to prosecute him as an adult, but he won't be eligible for the death penalty due to his age.
Robinson and Burnett have been charged with capital murder and aggravated kidnapping.
Robinson has also been charged with 2 counts of rape and one count of violating a protection order.
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/14870486.htm

I have not read the links and I realize the horrible tragedy that has occurred here, but I am still having trouble with the first sentence in this thread...14 yrs old, 9 mos pregnant, and had gone SKATING with her friends. Skating at 9 mos pregnant? Absolutely moot point now, of course, but that just jumped out at me.

Brooks murder trial set to start next week

The Wichita Eagle/Kansas.com said:
Ted Burnett's capital murder trial will go on next week in Wichita as planned.
Sedgwick County District Judge Ben Burgess denied a request to move the trial to another county Monday morning.
A pool of some 500 jurors have been summoned for the trial. Lawyers are scheduled to begin questioning potential jurors May 5.

From March 2012:

http://www.kansas.com/news/article1087399.html

Robinson was convicted of capital murder, rape, aggravated kidnapping and aggravated indecent liberties with a child. He had offered to pay a friend $1,000 to kill Chelsea, a middle school student who was nine months pregnant with Robinson’s child at the time of her death...

Robinson was sentenced to life imprisonment without parole, plus 247 months, after a jury failed to reach an agreement on whether he should receive the death penalty...

Chelsea disappeared June 9, 2006, after she went to a skating rink in Wichita with friends. She left the skating rink with Robinson’s friend, Everett Gentry, who had promised to take her to see Robinson. Six days later her body was discovered buried face down in a shallow grave in a field near Andover.

Gentry admitted his role in Brooks’ murder and had testified for the prosecution against Robinson and another man, Ted Burnett... Gentry received life in prison with parole possible after 25 years. Burnett received a life sentence without parole...

Gentry said that while he drove her to a remote spot in Butler County where she would be buried, he reached back to the backseat and tapped Burnett to signal Burnett to kill her. He said he turned up the radio as Burnett choked Chelsea from behind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back