Luminol Evidence

Desilu

Reaction score
I was looking thru the case information on the West Memphis Three a few weeks ago and came across the luminol photos that were used in their case.

Were they any pictures submitted into evidence of the luminol testing? They weren't included MTJD, so I'm curious if there was photographic evidence taken or did they just rely on the word of whomever conducted the tests to testify.

Quite a big blunder I have to say if that didn't record the evidence with a picture.

Desilu said:
I was looking thru the case information on the West Memphis Three a few weeks ago and came across the luminol photos that were used in their case.

Were they any pictures submitted into evidence of the luminol testing? They weren't included MTJD, so I'm curious if there was photographic evidence taken or did they just rely on the word of whomever conducted the tests to testify.

Quite a big blunder I have to say if that didn't record the evidence with a picture.
There were over 900 photos at the trial. Don't now if there were all submitted into evidence or not, but they definitely are not all in MTJD.

Desilu said:

I believe there was testimony to the fact that pictures were taken of the Luminol tests. As Goody said, there were nearly 1,000 photo exhibits. I am not surprised Chris did not include any. They show a clean up and he doesn't want the people who only read his book to know about that. Darlile has tried to explain the washed away blood on the kitchen counter and in the sink as her preparing chicken for supper that night. So even they don't dispute that some cleaned up blood was found. They just don't want people to know how MUCH there was.
As for the bloody hand print and "butt print" of Damon's on the sofa, Luminol destroys visible blood. LE did not realize it was there because it was under a blanket or pillow, and the room was dark. So when they sprayed the Luminol, the prints were only visible for a short time, then they dripped away.

beesy said:
So when they sprayed the Luminol, the prints were only visible for a short time, then they dripped away.
I would have thought they would have even captured the dripping of the glowing Luminol as that is telling no matter if it was in the shape of a hand print or not.

And yes I'm aware MTJD didn't include all the photos. I don't recall testimony of the Luminol photographs, I will have to go back and search a little.

Thanks.

Desilu said:
I would have thought they would have even captured the dripping of the glowing Luminol as that is telling no matter if it was in the shape of a hand print or not.

And yes I'm aware MTJD didn't include all the photos. I don't recall testimony of the Luminol photographs, I will have to go back and search a little.

Thanks.
It dripped too quickly. I think they were so horrified by it that they just looked at it for a few seconds. They probably did take photos of that area. Here's a start:

Read Linch's testimony on Luminol results of the wipe patterns and the blood washed down the sink..

http://www.justicefordarlie.net/tra...es/vol-37.php#1

Desilu said:
Thank you ma'am!
cami found it and posted the link on another thread. I just checked to make sure that was where the Luminol testimony was and posted cami's link. If you don't get your answers, he names the other people who were there with him so you could look up their testimonies too.

Hello!
First let me say this is such an awesome forum and site. I hope not to sound too stupid my first post on here!
Very interesting posts! It has been my experience that Luminol will fluores blood spatter and imprints for more than just one test (especially porous surfaces). We have used luminol on stains that were at least 2 years old and had been previously tested with positive results. I am still very confused about this dripping as well. If we are talking about a bloody "butt print" on a flat surface, one application of luminol SHOULD NOT destroy all traces of ?blood? if that is indeed what made the luminol react. A repeat application should still yield results especially if the first application was clear enough to produce a butt outline. As far as the drain goes, The piping can be dismantled and samples can be taken from inside the pipe, particularly at the first curve where liquid can pool. We must remember that luminol reacts to many different chemicals. It is in NO WAY a determinate of blood. Swabs should have been collected and tested for blood and typed.

Just my opinion!

Maryliz30 said:
Hello!
First let me say this is such an awesome forum and site. I hope not to sound too stupid my first post on here!
Very interesting posts! It has been my experience that Luminol will fluores blood spatter and imprints for more than just one test (especially porous surfaces). We have used luminol on stains that were at least 2 years old and had been previously tested with positive results. I am still very confused about this dripping as well. If we are talking about a bloody "butt print" on a flat surface, one application of luminol SHOULD NOT destroy all traces of ?blood? if that is indeed what made the luminol react. A repeat application should still yield results especially if the first application was clear enough to produce a butt outline. As far as the drain goes, The piping can be dismantled and samples can be taken from inside the pipe, particularly at the first curve where liquid can pool. We must remember that luminol reacts to many different chemicals. It is in NO WAY a determinate of blood. Swabs should have been collected and tested for blood and typed.

Just my opinion!

Hi and welcome! I may be mistaken, but from what I understand, it wasn't a flat surface, so when they sprayed it on the fake leather couch, it just sort of rolled down the side of the couch. I know very little about the process. Perhaps they sprayed too much? But, its my opinion since Darlie says the boy was there standing next to the couch talking to her, its not out of the realm of possibility that the print was there.

Maryliz30 said:
Very interesting posts! It has been my experience that Luminol will fluores blood spatter and imprints for more than just one test (especially porous surfaces). We have used luminol on stains that were at least 2 years old and had been previously tested with positive results
You're right, blood in any amount or shape or pattern cannot hide from Luminol. Latent blood can be sprayed repeatedly and will still show up in the same pattern through Luminol.
I am still very confused about this dripping as well. If we are talking about a bloody "butt print" on a flat surface, one application of luminol SHOULD NOT destroy all traces of ?blood? if that is indeed what made the luminol react. A repeat application should still yield results especially if the first application was clear enough to produce a butt outline.
Who said it was clear? IF blood is VISIBLE to the naked eye, which the hand and buttprint were, it will damage the shape, print or whatever. Visible blood would no longer remain in the shape of a hand, etc. Yes, of course Luminol would still show the blood that remained, but it would not be in the shape they saw. This is for VISIBLE blood, not LATENT. Jeana mentions that the pleather quality of the sofa mixing with the Luminol did not allow it to "hold" the print. And as she said, this is really just an interesting aside because Darlie puts Damon near the sofa in her stories.
One problem with luminol is that the chemical reaction can destroy other evidence in the crime scene. For this reason, investigators only use luminol after exploring a lot of other options. It is definitely a valuable tool for police work, but it's not quite as prevalent in crime investigation as presented on some TV shows. The police don't walk into a crime scene and start spraying luminol on every visible surface

http://science.howstuffworks.com/luminol3.htm
As far as the drain goes, The piping can be dismantled and samples can be taken from inside the pipe, particularly at the first curve where liquid can pool. We must remember that luminol reacts to many different chemicals. It is in NO WAY a determinate of blood. Swabs should have been collected and tested for blood and typed.

Yes, of course blood was collected, areas swabbed and tested for typing. The reason Luminol is sprayed in a crime scene is to look for latent blood, not blood they can see. Latent blood cannot be tested, but when you see it glowing where it shouldn't be, you have an idea as to where to look HARDER.
Yes, all of that was done. P-traps, pipes, even the sewer lines were checked. There was some of Devon and Darlie's blood in the P-traps. If you read Linch's testimony you'll see he explains how when Luminol reacts to other things such as detergents, the glow is a different color. http://www.justicefordarlie.net/tra...es/vol-37.php#1
Desilu asked a specific question about Luminol, which is why I focused only on that.

Here is writer Patricia Springer's account of the hand print on the sofa:
Nabors moved to the opposite end of the sofa, spraying its arm and down the front. In moments, Nabors gasped..............as a single, small hand print appeared on the sofa arm. As the remainder of the Luminol developed, blood smears could be detected on the front of the couch.
"Looks like the little boy fell against the sofa. You can see his butt print right there. He may have gotten up......but he slid back down the front of the sofa......"
Because of the slick surface of the sofa and the liquid properties of the Luminol............the officers watched as the tiny hand print faded into nonexistence.

Patricia Springer, Flesh and Blood, page 104

I haven't had a chance to read up yet, I will have to do tonight when I get home. I would be most curious to see the photos of the 'cleanup' area on the counters and floor and such. The West Memphis case has such a comprehensive site for all the evidence, I've never seen one quite like it and now I'm all spoiled with having any information at the tip of my fingers!

Desilu said:
I haven't had a chance to read up yet, I will have to do tonight when I get home. I would be most curious to see the photos of the 'cleanup' area on the counters and floor and such. The West Memphis case has such a comprehensive site for all the evidence, I've never seen one quite like it and now I'm all spoiled with having any information at the tip of my fingers!
Yes, there's a Columbine site and a Mac site like that too. It's amazing the dedication these people have. As for the Darlie sites, remember who runs them? Pro-Darlies!

Jeana (DP) said:
Hi and welcome! I may be mistaken, but from what I understand, it wasn't a flat surface, so when they sprayed it on the fake leather couch, it just sort of rolled down the side of the couch. I know very little about the process. Perhaps they sprayed too much? But, its my opinion since Darlie says the boy was there standing next to the couch talking to her, its not out of the realm of possibility that the print was there.
I do believe it is possible that the handprint was there. I am just frustrated that if you go into a crime scene spraying luminol that you don't have your camera trained on the areas you are spraying. That is pretty standard. So it is frustration that there doesn't seem to be any better documentation to this handprint or buttprint.

Being shocked and awed just doesn't cut it when getting a positive result like that, to not be prepared to photograph document it. If you are bringing in luminol to cover a scene you are looking for something. (The bottle insert even has directions on the best film speed and settings for your camera). And it usually comes in the form of spatter, clean up, drag marks, and handprints.

Beesy has my interests perked back up in this case. I will have to spy ebay for a copy of this Flesh and Blood book.
Has anyone seen any luminol photos from this scene? Are there any at all? Please let me know! Or if there is a link maybe?

Nice link!

If you read Linch's testimony you'll see he explains how when Luminol reacts to other things such as detergents, the glow is a different color. http://www.justicefordarlie.net/tra...es/vol-37.php#1
Desilu asked a specific question about Luminol, which is why I focused only on that.[/QUOTE]I am not able to find any mention of luminol changing colors in this testimony.
Would you be willing to copy paste that as I can't find it or pull it up?

I have not heard of luminol that glows a different Color. I have only seen and worked with Luminol that are dyed different colors. But none that actually changes colors. I would love that link or info...You learn something everyday!

Being shocked and awed just doesn't cut it when getting a positive result like that, to not be prepared to photograph document it. If you are bringing in luminol to cover a scene you are looking for something. (The bottle insert even has directions on the best film speed and settings for your camera). And it usually comes in the form of spatter, clean up, drag marks, and handprints
I think you are taking what said about them, standing there horrified for a bit too seriously. They had cameras right there. The print faded nearly immediately. The smears on the front of the sofa did not disappear completely. They got that, but missed the print. The people working the scene were experts and know how to work a camera. They would have seen the smears and print a little bit with the naked eye, but it was under something, a blanket I think. Basically they made the mistake of not moving the blanket or pillow to check for visible blood. As I and others said, Darlie, in every single one of her what 16 stories, includes Damon waking her up. So she ALWAYS places him near or even touching the sofa. She must have known she didn't clean that part of the sofa, didn't have time maybe. And because Damon being at the sofa is never left out, I believe the print was there. I've never seen any Luminol photos. The two main sites are run by Darlie fans and they wouldn't put anything like on those sites. I know the photos are out there though, buried within nearly 1,000 others.

Maryliz30 said:
Nice link!

If you read Linch's testimony you'll see he explains how when Luminol reacts to other things such as detergents, the glow is a different color. http://www.justicefordarlie.net/tra...es/vol-37.php#1
Desilu asked a specific question about Luminol, which is why I focused only on that.
I am not able to find any mention of luminol changing colors in this testimony.
Would you be willing to copy paste that as I can't find it or pull it up?

I have not heard of luminol that glows a different Color. I have only seen and worked with Luminol that are dyed different colors. But none that actually changes colors. I would love that link or info...You learn something everyday![/QUOTE]
24 If the blood is fresh, it will react
25 very quickly and a very bright blue-green. If the blood
Sandra M. Halsey, CSR, Official Court Reporter

1 is old, you will get kind of a dull, light-green color to
2 the reaction.
3 And some of the false/positive
4 materials will give the dull, slower, green reaction.

http://www.justicefordarlie.net/transcripts/volumes/vol-37.php#1

Beesy,
Thank you for your information on the Luminol results. It sounds like maybe they used green luminol??? Faint, bright, it was still green. I thought you were saying the luminol changed colors. I got off point with that. Thank you for clarifiying and finding the text.:)
Mary

beesy said:
They got that, but missed the print. The people working the scene were experts and know how to work a camera. They would have seen the smears and print a little bit with the naked eye, but it was under something, a blanket I think. Basically they made the mistake of not moving the blanket or pillow to check for visible blood.
I never disputed whether or not they were experts. I never said they didn't know how to operate a camera.... I feel like you're getting a bit hostile toward me? or I may be hyper-sensitive, either way it is no attack on you, Beesy.:blushing:

I understand the scene was processed originally in 1996, maybe they didn't have knowledge of some other tricks to document the luminol reaction.... I don't know why they couldn't/didn't document those prints with Luminol. I just know it can be done and was frustrated it wasn't. Now with this supposed "new evidence", missing stuff like this opens doors for the "prodarlie's".

Another example is this new adult fingerprint next to the sink. Okay, lots of folks were going through the crime scene. Even the neighbor (Neal) was inside the scene getting the dog off Officer Wyman who was trying walk through the house. That doesn't look too good either. Chances are that "mystery print" belonged to someone being called to the scene that night after the murders. But this further undermines the integrity of the scene.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/women/routier/6.html

As far as Darlie's bruising on her arms, I have always felt dear hubby had a part in this. From trying to hire someone to burglarize his house, to covering up after the fact for Darlie. I don't think he knew she was going to kill the boys though. My theory is he walked in on her cutting herself and he grabbed her and shook her a bit.
But this is just my opinion.
Mary

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10