749 users online (67 members and 682 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    apple valley mn.
    Posts
    90

    Did the jury have a choice?

    If convicting 1st degree or capital murder is the DP mandatory?In order to keep away from the DP would the jury have to submit a guilty verdict for lesser charge.I feel as though the jury was between a rock and a hard place.
    They that can give up essential liberties to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety-Ben Franklin.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimthecarpetguy
    If convicting 1st degree or capital murder is the DP mandatory?In order to keep away from the DP would the jury have to submit a guilty verdict for lesser charge.I feel as though the jury was between a rock and a hard place.
    The nature of the crime was so horrendous, a jury would be hard pressed not to lean toward the death penalty. That is why they have a sentencing phase, for the jury to consider mitigating circumstances that might give them reason to show mercy. But Darlie did not present any mitigating circumstances for them to consider. She and her family just kept saying the jury was wrong, that she was innocent of the crime. Darlie's whole fate rested in that trial and the decisions she made about how to pursue her case. She chose to go for broke and lost big time. If she were smart, she would have pled down in exchange for a confession and at least saved her life. Bad decisions and now she is stuck with the consequences.

    "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
    __________________
    This is the humble opinion of Goody Trugritt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    small town, VA
    Posts
    1,814
    [QUOTE=Goody]
    If she were smart

    I think that might be the root cause of all of this Goody, that big IF you stuck in there!
    Beesy Was Here

    So I held my head up high
    Hiding hate that burns inside
    Which only fuels their selfish pride
    We're all held captive
    Out from the sun
    A sun that shines on only some
    We the meek are all in one
    Creed
    My Own Prison


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,652
    Quote Originally Posted by beesy
    [/color]
    I think that might be the root cause of all of this Goody, that big IF you stuck in there!
    Boy, you sure listen to some depressing music, bees. By the way, I am reading Nancy Grace's "Objection" about how the justice system is being destroyed by defense attys, aggressive media, and greed. You might enjoy it. It is an easy read and she pounces without fear. Great listings for info on many, many cases.

    "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
    __________________
    This is the humble opinion of Goody Trugritt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    small town, VA
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Goody
    Boy, you sure listen to some depressing music, bees. By the way, I am reading Nancy Grace's "Objection" about how the justice system is being destroyed by defense attys, aggressive media, and greed. You might enjoy it. It is an easy read and she pounces without fear. Great listings for info on many, many cases.
    It's not that depressing, but agreed I listen to moody songs. It was written for Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris. Dylan especially hid his hatred and when it blew, it really blew. Eric was full of contempt for humanity, but Dylan was filled with rage he could not contain anymore.
    I like the line "a sun that shines on only some". Welcome to their world.
    Anyhoo, the book sounds good. I love Nancy Grace.
    Beesy Was Here

    So I held my head up high
    Hiding hate that burns inside
    Which only fuels their selfish pride
    We're all held captive
    Out from the sun
    A sun that shines on only some
    We the meek are all in one
    Creed
    My Own Prison


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,652
    Quote Originally Posted by beesy
    It's not that depressing, but agreed I listen to moody songs. It was written for Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris. Dylan especially hid his hatred and when it blew, it really blew. Eric was full of contempt for humanity, but Dylan was filled with rage he could not contain anymore.
    I like the line "a sun that shines on only some". Welcome to their world.
    Anyhoo, the book sounds good. I love Nancy Grace.
    She doesn't cut defense attys any slack. hahahahahaha! The book helps to understand her hardline approach, too.

    "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
    __________________
    This is the humble opinion of Goody Trugritt.



Similar Threads

  1. Grand Jury indictment - Judge apologizes to the Jury
    By frenchvixen in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 01:56 AM
  2. Ian's Choice
    By Floh in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 12:27 PM

Tags for this Thread