Did the jury have a choice?

Jimthecarpetguy

Reaction score
If convicting 1st degree or capital murder is the DP mandatory?In order to keep away from the DP would the jury have to submit a guilty verdict for lesser charge.I feel as though the jury was between a rock and a hard place.

Jimthecarpetguy said:
If convicting 1st degree or capital murder is the DP mandatory?In order to keep away from the DP would the jury have to submit a guilty verdict for lesser charge.I feel as though the jury was between a rock and a hard place.
The nature of the crime was so horrendous, a jury would be hard pressed not to lean toward the death penalty. That is why they have a sentencing phase, for the jury to consider mitigating circumstances that might give them reason to show mercy. But Darlie did not present any mitigating circumstances for them to consider. She and her family just kept saying the jury was wrong, that she was innocent of the crime. Darlie's whole fate rested in that trial and the decisions she made about how to pursue her case. She chose to go for broke and lost big time. If she were smart, she would have pled down in exchange for a confession and at least saved her life. Bad decisions and now she is stuck with the consequences.

beesy said:
[/color]
I think that might be the root cause of all of this Goody, that big IF you stuck in there!
Boy, you sure listen to some depressing music, bees. By the way, I am reading Nancy Grace's "Objection" about how the justice system is being destroyed by defense attys, aggressive media, and greed. You might enjoy it. It is an easy read and she pounces without fear. Great listings for info on many, many cases.

Goody said:
Boy, you sure listen to some depressing music, bees. By the way, I am reading Nancy Grace's "Objection" about how the justice system is being destroyed by defense attys, aggressive media, and greed. You might enjoy it. It is an easy read and she pounces without fear. Great listings for info on many, many cases.
It's not that depressing, but agreed I listen to moody songs. It was written for Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris. Dylan especially hid his hatred and when it blew, it really blew. Eric was full of contempt for humanity, but Dylan was filled with rage he could not contain anymore.
I like the line "a sun that shines on only some". Welcome to their world.
Anyhoo, the book sounds good. I love Nancy Grace.

beesy said:
It's not that depressing, but agreed I listen to moody songs. It was written for Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris. Dylan especially hid his hatred and when it blew, it really blew. Eric was full of contempt for humanity, but Dylan was filled with rage he could not contain anymore.
I like the line "a sun that shines on only some". Welcome to their world.
Anyhoo, the book sounds good. I love Nancy Grace.
She doesn't cut defense attys any slack. hahahahahaha! The book helps to understand her hardline approach, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back