989 users online (175 members and 814 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Video of teen being beaten draws national media attention

I couldn't find a thread on this yet. I searched for
    Coulter and basketball and nothing came up on either issue relating to this case.
    My apologies if there is another thread...

Video of teen being beaten draws national media attention

A Lawrence man has stirred up a national media storm after releasing a home video of his eighth-grade son being pummeled by another basketball player during the Mid America Youth Basketball tournament in March in Newton.

Dale Vestal said he released the home video in an effort to prompt law enforcement in Newton to file charges against the youth who attacked his son, Coulter Vestal.

Since the video’s release on Wednesday, the Vestal family has been contacted by several national organizations, including CBS, CNN, Fox News and Court TV.

“I had no idea when this tape was released that it would have this kind of impact. Just the number of national stations that have been in touch with me. It has gone so far that the Geraldo show is taping at our house on Sunday,” Vestal said.

More: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/ju...l_media_atten/
    Last edited by PrayersForMaura; 06-26-2006 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

Video leads to barrage of mail

Writers deluge D.A. after CNN posts tape on boy’s beating in Newton

Hate mail poured into Douglas County Dist. Atty. Charles Branson's mailbox Friday after Lawrence resident Dale Vestal released a video showing his son getting beaten by another boy at a basketball game.

The writers demand prosecution. And most of them don’t ask nicely.

The only problem: From Lawrence, Branson can’t do much. The video of the brutal fight was shot in Newton, some 150 miles away.

“It just didn't happen here,” Branson said.

The mail — most of it electronic — began flowing in after 24-hour news network CNN posted the video of the beating on its Web site, Branson said. The tagline on the bottom of the video read “Lawrence, Kansas,” leading concerned viewers from all over the country to send Branson messages demanding he file charges.

Any e-mail sent to the DA’s Web site goes straight to him, Branson said, so the barrage of profanity-strewn messages popped up first thing Saturday morning on Branson’s BlackBerry.

More: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/ju..._barrage_mail/
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

I saw the video, and the boy and his father on some cable news show this past week. The boy that was attacked on the basketball court wasn't just hurt, he was knocked unconscious after being clotheslined and thrown to the ground, then the other boy jumped on top of him while he was "out" and he pummeled him with his fists until parents/coaches tackled the aggressor. It was truly brutal.

Here's the video and an interview. Wow, it is pretty scary

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...hell.cnn&wm=10

Totally unnecessary. Elbows are a part of basketball, and if you are getting hit repeatedly, notify an official to keep a closer watch. You don't just fling someone to the ground and pummel them.