CA CA - Candace Starr, 16, Granada Hills, 21 Sept 1975

Airys_01

Reaction score
Candace Lynn Starr

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/starr_candace.html

Starr lived with her boyfriend in Culver City, California in 1975. She moved back to her family's residence in Granada Hills, California in September of that year after her boyfriend was allegedly physically abusive towards her. According to her relatives, Starr had been living at her family's home for a week when her boyfriend forced his way into the family's home during the last week of September and abducted Starr at gunpoint. Starr's parents were not at the residence at the time, but one of her sisters stated that she saw Starr's boyfriend grab her around her neck and pull her over a small wall separating the family's property from the neighbor's residence. Starr has never been heard from again.

According to Starr's family, the Los Angeles Police Department took a police report shortly after Starr's abduction but never spoke to the family again. A year after Starr's disappearance, her father visited the police station to inquire as to the status of the case and was told that no incident report had been filed. The police initially refused to take a missing person's report because of the passage of time. Decades passed before they accepted the report. Starr's family continues to search for her. Her sister Shari is married, but goes by her maiden name in case Candace tries to contact her.

Who is the boyfriend? What is his name? One would think that one of the two would've resurfaced over the years

More importantly, why did the police refuse to take a police report for "Decades"? Why hasn't the police tracked this boyfriend down and arrested him for, at the very least, assault with a deadly weapon and kidnapping?

A year after Starr's disappearance, her father visited the police station to inquire as to the status of the case and was told that no incident report had been filed.

I'm having a little bit of trouble with the fact that the Father visited the police station a year after Starr's disappearance too. I would think that a parent would have been in contact with the police a little sooner after reporting their daughter was kidnapped.

If the boyfriend was dumb enough to take a young girl from her home at gunpoint Im sure he has gotten in trouble with the law since he kidnapped Candace. I wonder if the agency in charge of this case have ran his name through data banks, checked the use or lack there of, his SSN.

Does any one have know of any other info. pertaining to this case or know of a way to bring it to light again?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if her body was recovered somewhere years later, and it was skeletal, there would be no way to tell there was a nose piercing, right ?? I mean, even if they found the nose jewelry, would they be able to tell what it is ??

Seems like her family was pretty openminded. She was so young to be living with her boyfriend. Just like in Camille Dardanes's case, there is no info posted about the most obvious suspect.

I would bet whoever he is has a string of abusive relationships.

What I don't understand is why the families don't ask for a report # at the time they file the report.

starr_candace.jpg
starr_candace_ap.jpg

Missing Since: September 21, 1975 from Granada Hills, California
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: April 26, 1959
Height and Weight: 5'4 - 5'5, 115 - 149 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue/hazel eyes. Starr's nickname is Candy. Her nose is pierced and she has scars on her forehead and chin. Some agencies spell her first name "Candance."

Details of Disappearance

Starr lived with her boyfriend in Culver City, California in 1975. She moved back to her family's residence in Granada Hills, California in September of that year after her boyfriend was allegedly physically abusive towards her. According to her relatives, Starr had been living at her family's home for a week when her boyfriend forced his way into the family's home during the last week of September and abducted Starr at gunpoint. Starr's parents were not at the residence at the time, but one of her sisters stated that she saw Starr's boyfriend grab her around her neck and pull her over a small wall separating the family's property from the neighbor's residence. Starr has never been heard from again.

According to Starr's family, the Los Angeles Police Department took a police report shortly after Starr's abduction but never spoke to the family again. A year after Starr's disappearance, her father visited the police station to inquire as to the status of the case and was told that no incident report had been filed. The police initially refused to take a missing person's report because of the passage of time. Decades passed before they accepted the report.

Starr's family continues to search for her. Her sister Shari is married, but goes by her maiden name in case Candace tries to contact her.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Los Angeles Police Department
818-756-8283
OR

213-485-2504

starr_candace.jpg
starr_candace_ap.jpg

Missing Since: September 21, 1975 from Granada Hills, California
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: April 26, 1959
Height and Weight: 5'4 - 5'5, 115 - 149 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue/hazel eyes. Starr's nickname is Candy. Her nose is pierced and she has scars on her forehead and chin. Some agencies spell her first name "Candance."

Details of Disappearance

According to Starr's family, the Los Angeles Police Department took a police report shortly after Starr's abduction but never spoke to the family again. A year after Starr's disappearance, her father visited the police station to inquire as to the status of the case and was told that no incident report had been filed. The police initially refused to take a missing person's report because of the passage of time. Decades passed before they accepted the report.

Starr's family continues to search for her. Her sister Shari is married, but goes by her maiden name in case Candace tries to contact her.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Los Angeles Police Department
818-756-8283
OR

213-485-2504

Charley Project

NCMEC

I just came across her thread in the Missing Children In America Forum, and was blown away! This was a childhood playmate of mine in elementary school. She went by "Candy". We lost touch, I did not know she had disappeared. I can tell you I played at her house, and FWIW, she wallpapered her room in Donny Osmond posters. I can still remember her voice.​

Just received info from NCMEC that Candace has been located deceased. Haven't been able to find an article or anything yet tho.
Thank-you for this info. I will pass it on to her former classmates.

Its so disgusting how this family was treated. Their daughter may have been found a long time ago if things were handled differently.

Starr, 16, was abducted from her Grenada Hills, California residence on September 21, 1975. Her remains were found in a wooded area in 2003, but they were not identified until June 2009.

That's all the info I've been able to find. :(

My sisters case has been solved,Sad to say she was murdered 3 months after she was kiddnapped.Dec12,1975 her kidnapper Micheal Herbert Singh shot her in the back of the head at Thirfty Service Station in Gallup New Mexico.She spent the next 34 years buried at Hillcrest Cemetery in Gallup New Mexico. Due to mitochondrail DNA comparison on June 4,2009 she was given her name back and her family was notifed of her location.Candy is resting with her Mother and Father who have also passed on at the Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale Calif
I will give more details after i have my melt down.I want to Thank You All for your support and concern

My sisters case has been solved,Sad to say she was murdered 3 months after she was kiddnapped.Dec12,1975 her kidnapper Micheal Herbert Singh shot her in the back of the head at Thirfty Service Station in Gallup New Mexico.She spent the next 34 years buried at Hillcrest Cemetery in Gallup New Mexico. Due to mitochondrail DNA comparison on June 4,2009 she was given her name back and her family was notifed of her location.Candy is resting with her Mother and Father who have also passed on at the Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale Calif
I will give more details after i have my melt down.I want to Thank You All for your support and concern
Shari, stay in touch. You probably don't remember me, but I used to play at your house with Candy. I'll let some of our other schoolmates know...

Condolences to the family. Was M Singh ever found and proscecuted?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back