Ten trapped as Missouri building collapses

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
news link
CNN) -- Rescue workers in Clinton, Missouri, were searching for about 10 people trapped after two floors of a building housing an Elks Lodge collapsed late Monday, according to witnesses and a survivor.
Video of the three-story building showed the brick exterior largely intact, but a pile of furniture and debris could be seen on the first floor where a clothing store was located.

Steve Cummings, who owns the store and was on the second level when the floors collapsed, told CNN: "I've got 10 of my best friends still in there."

He said the floors caved in as the Elks Club was having a dinner as part of an initiation ceremony for at least 50 new members.

Apparently there are still people trapped.They just had live reports on Fox News also.

Local business owner Barry Glasscock said dozens of people were on the second floor of the building in this west-central Missouri town when the third floor collapsed. At least one person had not been accounted for, he said, but that could not immediately be confirmed.

Witnesses said rescuers had made contact by cell phone with at least eight of nine people who were trapped, WDAF-TV reported.

Club members had gathered for dinner and were preparing to initiate new members at a meeting that was to start at 8 p.m. when the collapse occurred around 7:30 p.m.
news link

Those poor people.
I will pray they get out alive.
I get so claustrophobic...being trapped like that is my worst nightmare.

Update

Missouri authorities say a man missing after a building collapse Monday night was killed.

The three-story building in Clinton partially collapsed during an Elks Club dinner. Rescuers saved nine people who were trapped within the rubble. But authorities say Tony Komer died when the upper floor fell in. Two club members say Komer had been on the top floor of the building to prepare to give a speech at an initiation ceremony when the building collapsed.

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=5083195&nav=0RdE

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77