ND - Kate Boe, 5 mos, dies in hot car, Grand Forks, 28 June 2006

Yakwoman

25 cents a look!
Reaction score
Website
www.yakwoman.com
This happened where I live. Summer has barely begun and already we have children dying in vehicles. So sad.

Baby Found Dead in Vehicle

A 5-month-old baby died in a minivan Wednesday after the mother apparently forgot to drop the child off at day care.

The tragedy was discovered about 5:30 p.m. outside the Wonder Years 2 day care. The baby's mother stopped at the day care after work to pick up the child and was told by staff that the baby had not been dropped off. She realized then that the baby had been in her minivan all day.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/14926060.htm

How in the H*LL does this happen???!!! And keep happening???!!!
I just can't wrap my head around this!:banghead:
I'm at work 10 hours a day 4 days a week and still know where my children are constantly because I call home to check on them so often...and they're at home with my husband, their father!!!! How does someone just forget their child???!!! This makes me crazy!!!:behindbar I am a very busy woman, but NEVER that busy!

That poor baby....:(

I hate these stories!!!!! I'll never understand how someone forgets their child in the back seat!!! Prayers for the family and the mother...she will never forgive herself.

Yakwoman said:
This happened where I live. Summer has barely begun and already we have children dying in vehicles. So sad.

Baby Found Dead in Vehicle

A 5-month-old baby died in a minivan Wednesday after the mother apparently forgot to drop the child off at day care.

The tragedy was discovered about 5:30 p.m. outside the Wonder Years 2 day care. The baby's mother stopped at the day care after work to pick up the child and was told by staff that the baby had not been dropped off. She realized then that the baby had been in her minivan all day.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/14926060.htm
Man this is just so hard to believe. This lady has way too much on her mind and none of it includes her baby. Work must be a real priority for her.
How do you face your family after doing something so negligent?

I don't understand how this can happen. I'm gonna go a little off the subject here (not completely though) and say that when it was 106 here last week, it was 121 inside my truck when I got in it after work. I doubt that her actions were deliberate, and she'll have to live the rest of her life knowing that she caused her baby's death. I have three kids and a full time job and have never forgotten one of my kids. So not making excuses for her but a possible explanation could have been that she got a late start to work and was hurried, got the baby loaded up in the vehicle and the little one was fast asleep. She was rushing to get everywhere on time and with the baby not making a peep, forgot that he/she was there. It could happen,. Very sad for the entire family.

I just feel so sorry for this mother and her family. I wonder if she shared drop-off duties with her spouse. I used to share drop-off with my husband and during the periods where we were especially sleep deprived I know we forgot to drop off important things like the bottles but never the baby. I can easily see how this could happen.

This same thing happened last year, right? I seem to remember reading a news blurb about the parent discovering their child when they went out to their vehicle and a coworker heard the screaming. Just terrible all around and the poor woman will have to live with this :(

Here is a very informative article on how this happens so often. Every summer we hear these terrible stories and wonder how in the world it can happen! After reading this it seems we must not ever hear about most of the stories because the numbers are staggering!! A terrible thing for everybody involved.

Old Broad

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13537542/

It makes me wonder if someone should invent some kind of a warning device -- rigged through the car seat to the ignition key or something -- alerting parents that they haven't removed the child from the car seat. OMG this is awful, and happens repeatedly! I did once drive off leaving my daughter in her car seat on the front porch -- only for about 30 seconds though! I was horrified! So busy trying to get my 2-year old buckled in, I forgot about her, she was patiently waiting in her car seat on the porch! EEK!

Eve

eve said:
It makes me wonder if someone should invent some kind of a warning device -- rigged through the car seat to the ignition key or something -- alerting parents that they haven't removed the child from the car seat. OMG this is awful, and happens repeatedly! I did once drive off leaving my daughter in her car seat on the front porch -- only for about 30 seconds though! I was horrified! So busy trying to get my 2-year old buckled in, I forgot about her, she was patiently waiting in her car seat on the porch! EEK!

Eve
That's a good idea. There is already a buzzer that tells you when your seatbelt isn't fastened and your door isn't shut. Why not one that says the carseat is still fastened when the car is turned off?

Eve, that is an awesome idea!!! You should definately look into that!

eve said:

Eve
Eve,
This idea is even better then the guy with the orbital car seat (and his is awesome) that was on American Inventor. You are on to something.

eve said:

Eve
If it will save babies lifes and other Mother's from going threw this horror then it is a great idea.

GlitchWizard said:
That's a good idea. There is already a buzzer that tells you when your seatbelt isn't fastened and your door isn't shut. Why not one that says the carseat is still fastened when the car is turned off?
Isn't it sad though that they would actually sell the crap out of a device like that because people are so preoccupied with work ect...I mean I think anything that will save a life is good especially a little baby, but that is insane!

I feel sad for the family, although I do not understand how this can happen,... How can you forget ???

lisag said:
I feel sad for the family, although I do not understand how this can happen,... How can you forget ???
Who knows....I think about my son all day when he is in pre-k or whatever we are doing. I cannot Fathom how a child is "forgotten". It makes no sense what so ever to me!!!!

michelle said:
Who knows....I think about my son all day when he is in pre-k or whatever we are doing. I cannot Fathom how a child is "forgotten". It makes no sense what so ever to me!!!!
Me too Michelle and mine are 18 and 13. This baby was 5 months old, wonder why she never called day care to check on he/she. I have been known to call school and have them pull my kids out of class so I can just hear their voices.

Masissy said:
Me too Michelle and mine are 18 and 13. This baby was 5 months old, wonder why she never called day care to check on he/she. I have been known to call school and have them pull my kids out of class so I can just hear their voices.
I am the same way. People think I am too "anal". I dont care, when It comes to my child I will do anything to try to keep them safe!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back