VA - Tammy Skinner, 22, shot self to abort baby, Suffolk, 23 Feb 2006

I can't believe she did that on the day she was due to give birth. I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed before having each of my children but not that overwhelmed. How sad for her and for the baby :(

I just can't find any sympathy for this women. Why didn't she just shoot herself in the head? What a selfish, selfish act. No depression or nutz defense for thsi woman. She was sane enough and cared enough about herself to only shoot where she thought it would kill the baby.:furious:

I have no sympathy for her either... My sympathy lies with an innocent baby who was killed by it's own selfish mother.

Clearly this women was mentally ill.
When do we have sypmathy for those that are clearly sick?
DOes it only exist when they only harm themselves? Like they could know better?

lisag said:
I have no sympathy for her either... My sympathy lies with an innocent baby who was killed by it's own selfish mother.
I agree.....

Amraann said:
Clearly this women was mentally ill.
When do we have sypmathy for those that are clearly sick?
DOes it only exist when they only harm themselves? Like they could know better?
I do not see this as being mentally ill, I see this as being selfish. In my opinion, if she were depressed she would have tried to end her life as well, but she didn't. Also, I do not think she was insane, she was sane enough to try something that she thought would only kill the baby and not here. She was able to 'reason' that out so in my mind, totally sane and totally selfish. But we all have or own take and that is just my :twocents: :twocents: worth.

whoa, this brings up all kinds of legal questions for me! Since abortion is legal, will she be charged with murder? I don't know if the abortion laws stipulate what method of abortion is acceptable and which is not. Personally for me, it's all murder, however I am pro-choice none the less, but only because I believe that each person should have the option of a safe choice. That being said, it is all very sad. This woman will still have to have the child removed, :( which I guess would be the same as giving birth, but she will never reap all of the rewards that come along after the birth. A very sad case. Rest in peace sweet child. :(

If you don't want tohave the kid, get an abortion. It's legal, y'know.

Although I wonder who the hell the father was.The only male mentioned in the article is her dad. And that woman looks pretty damn rough for 22.

It's going to be a legal nightmare for sure. Interesting concept - if someone shot her, it would be considered murder, but if she did it her self - possibly abortion. Hmm. It's certainly thought provoking - but no opinion of it jumps out of me at the moment.

But wait - isn't abortion illegal after a certain number of months of gestation? Certainly this was past that point.

I wanted to add that abortion is only legal up to a certain point in the pregnancy. If I read this correctly the women was at the end of her pregnancy and the fetus was devloped enough to live on its own. Therefore this would not be comparable to an abortion.

Oh,OK. Thanks guys. That clears some things up for me. I thought it was shot down when they wanted to ban partial birth aka late term abortions...I thought they were still legal. Must of missed that. Then that makes it murder charges, right? Oh my, this could get really complicated....

curious1 said:
I do not see this as being mentally ill, I see this as being selfish. In my opinion, if she were depressed she would have tried to end her life as well, but she didn't. Also, I do not think she was insane, she was sane enough to try something that she thought would only kill the baby and not here. She was able to 'reason' that out so in my mind, totally sane and totally selfish. But we all have or own take and that is just my :twocents: :twocents: worth.

I don't know why you say that shooting herself in the stomache proves she thought she would only kill the baby??
Plenty of gunshot wounds to the stomache are fatal.
Did you read the article and what it said about pregnant woment who do this?
Specifically THIS womens history of mental health and depression.

ember said:
Oh,OK. Thanks guys. That clears some things up for me. I thought it was shot down when they wanted to ban partial birth aka late term abortions...I thought they were still legal. Must of missed that. Then that makes it murder charges, right? Oh my, this could get really complicated....

I was of the impression that if the fetus was viable (i.e., capable of living outside the womb) and its killed, that its murder.

Jeana (DP) said:
I was of the impression that if the fetus was viable (i.e., capable of living outside the womb) and its killed, that its murder.
Thats what I thought as well.

I have a feeling that there are a lot of hidden secrets about the father. Obviously this 22 year old had ill will toward her baby.

Jeana (DP) said:
I agree! The 'mom' did this ON her due date, so the baby girl certainly was viable.

Skinner was arrested and charged with illegally inducing an abortion, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and filing a false police report, police spokeswoman Lt. D.J. George said. If convicted, Skinner faces as much as 13 years in prison and a year in jail, plus more than $100,000 in fines.
Source: home.hamptonroads.com
I wonder why the arrest is "illegally inducing an abortion" instead of "murder" ??

Rest in peace, little one.

SieSie said:
I wonder why the arrest is "illegally inducing an abortion" instead of "murder" ??

Rest in peace, little one.
I think that depend on the state.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie