1094 users online (238 members and 856 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    731

    Sleeping woman was actually skeleton

    CLEVELAND - Officers who went to a home to serve a search warrant found a skeleton in the bed where an 80-year-old woman said her mother was sleeping.

    Police believe the decomposed body is that of the woman's 98-year-old mother, who hadn't been seen in at least three years.
    http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/14934407.htm

    Uh...The daughter has to be mentally challenged...right?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    3,358
    Either that, or no sense of time or smell.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    That's so sad.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    274
    Where were the other members of this family? It's very likely that an 80 year old woman is not exactly "all together", but were other family members not visting - wondering "Where's Granny?" and "What's that smell?"It is a very sad story.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    482
    Maybe the daughter has Alzheimer's or another form of age-induced dementia. If she is 80 years old, that could very well be the case. In that case, she may very well have believed her mom was just asleep.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by LButler
    Where were the other members of this family? It's very likely that an 80 year old woman is not exactly "all together", but were other family members not visting - wondering "Where's Granny?" and "What's that smell?"It is a very sad story.
    Probably the only immediate family member she had was her equally aged daughter. And I have seen senile family members taking care of senile family members before.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    736
    If the daughter didn't know her mother was deceased for THREE YEARS, then she is probably not competent enough to care for herself. Someone must be helping her somehow. So where are THOSE people?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by bykerladi
    If the daughter didn't know her mother was deceased for THREE YEARS, then she is probably not competent enough to care for herself. Someone must be helping her somehow. So where are THOSE people?
    You'd be surprised what people can do, and how long they can do it ,on "autopilot". And I suspect the daughter kind of "knew" what was wrong with her mother but was unable to deal with it and eventually the denial and senility bolstered each other.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,641
    Any chance she didn't report it in order to continue receiving Social Security checks? The police had to have had a reason to serve a search warrant.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypros
    Any chance she didn't report it in order to continue receiving Social Security checks? The police had to have had a reason to serve a search warrant.
    It was for health code violations (meaning stink). I can easily envision a house jammed to the rafters with empty cans of food, newspapers, etc.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    92,366
    The original newspaper article said it was not felt she did it for the Social Security checks. Quite frankly, she does not sound "with it" enough to have that motive. She sounds in need of some looking after, herself.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ~*~ in the beautiful mountains of WV ~*~
    Posts
    1,342
    I'm just thinking what a horrible way to go out! I hope that I don't live too long that I have out-lived all of my conscious thinking relatives so that I end up like this! Good golly!
    ~*~Think Globally, Act Locally! Please Recycle! ~*~

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by ember
    I'm just thinking what a horrible way to go out! I hope that I don't live too long that I have out-lived all of my conscious thinking relatives so that I end up like this! Good golly!
    As the boomers continue to age, and live longer,, more and more of these types of stories will be reported, I think.



Similar Threads

  1. 'Skeleton woman' dead in front of TV for years
    By Jean in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-16-2006, 02:25 AM