Sleeping woman was actually skeleton

cathieq

Reaction score
CLEVELAND - Officers who went to a home to serve a search warrant found a skeleton in the bed where an 80-year-old woman said her mother was sleeping.

Police believe the decomposed body is that of the woman's 98-year-old mother, who hadn't been seen in at least three years.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/14934407.htm

Uh...The daughter has to be mentally challenged...right?

Where were the other members of this family? It's very likely that an 80 year old woman is not exactly "all together", but were other family members not visting - wondering "Where's Granny?" and "What's that smell?"It is a very sad story.

Maybe the daughter has Alzheimer's or another form of age-induced dementia. If she is 80 years old, that could very well be the case. In that case, she may very well have believed her mom was just asleep.

LButler said:
Where were the other members of this family? It's very likely that an 80 year old woman is not exactly "all together", but were other family members not visting - wondering "Where's Granny?" and "What's that smell?"It is a very sad story.
Probably the only immediate family member she had was her equally aged daughter. And I have seen senile family members taking care of senile family members before.

If the daughter didn't know her mother was deceased for THREE YEARS, then she is probably not competent enough to care for herself. Someone must be helping her somehow. So where are THOSE people?

bykerladi said:
If the daughter didn't know her mother was deceased for THREE YEARS, then she is probably not competent enough to care for herself. Someone must be helping her somehow. So where are THOSE people?
You'd be surprised what people can do, and how long they can do it ,on "autopilot". And I suspect the daughter kind of "knew" what was wrong with her mother but was unable to deal with it and eventually the denial and senility bolstered each other.

Any chance she didn't report it in order to continue receiving Social Security checks? The police had to have had a reason to serve a search warrant.

Cypros said:
Any chance she didn't report it in order to continue receiving Social Security checks? The police had to have had a reason to serve a search warrant.
It was for health code violations (meaning stink). I can easily envision a house jammed to the rafters with empty cans of food, newspapers, etc.

The original newspaper article said it was not felt she did it for the Social Security checks. Quite frankly, she does not sound "with it" enough to have that motive. She sounds in need of some looking after, herself.

I'm just thinking what a horrible way to go out! I hope that I don't live too long that I have out-lived all of my conscious thinking relatives so that I end up like this! Good golly! :eek:

ember said:
I'm just thinking what a horrible way to go out! I hope that I don't live too long that I have out-lived all of my conscious thinking relatives so that I end up like this! Good golly! :eek:
As the boomers continue to age, and live longer,, more and more of these types of stories will be reported, I think.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back