GUILTY Iraq - Abeer Hamza & her family slain by U.S. soldiers, Yusufiya, 2006

Old Broad

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=nation_world&id=4321368

However, a U.S. official close to the investigation said at least one of the soldiers, all assigned to the 502nd Infantry Regiment, has admitted his role and been arrested. Two soldiers from the same regiment were slain this month when they were kidnapped at a checkpoint near Youssifiyah.

The official told the AP the accused soldiers were from the same platoon as the two slain soldiers. The military has said one and possibly both of the slain soldiers were tortured and beheaded.

The official said the mutilation of the slain soldiers stirred feelings of guilt and led at least one of them to reveal the rape-slaying on June 22.

More at link.
Old Broad

Old Broad said:
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=nation_world&id=4321368

However, a U.S. official close to the investigation said at least one of the soldiers, all assigned to the 502nd Infantry Regiment, has admitted his role and been arrested. Two soldiers from the same regiment were slain this month when they were kidnapped at a checkpoint near Youssifiyah.

The official told the AP the accused soldiers were from the same platoon as the two slain soldiers. The military has said one and possibly both of the slain soldiers were tortured and beheaded.

The official said the mutilation of the slain soldiers stirred feelings of guilt and led at least one of them to reveal the rape-slaying on June 22.

More at link.
Old Broad

I support the war, but such acts really hurts us.

Wudge said:
I support the war, but such acts really hurts us.
I totally agree Wudge-I'm completely dismayed to hear so many things about American soldiers behaving badly during this war. Not only does it damage the reputation of our contry in the world's eyes but it casts a shadow over all the men and women who are serving and acting like real soldiers do.

My good friend's husband is over there, and this is his regiment and unit. She said she got an email from him a few days ago in which he was ranting about the stupid guys in his unit doing something horrible and that it was in the news and she'd hear about it, and how he wanted out of that unit. She had told me the two murdered soldiers had been from his unit, so when I heard these guys were, too, I emailed her. She doesn't watch the news b/c she doesn't want to worry more than she does, so she emailed me back with, "So THAT'S what he was so mad about."

It's terrible and does make us look awful!!

With the number of soldiers in Iraq. and the situation our soldiers are in, it would be unusual if things like this didn't happen. It sends out a very bad message but it's wishful thinking to think that things like this aren't going to happen when soldiers are subjected to the stresses of war. Probably especially so when the very population they are supposed to be helping, don't even want them there.

Buzzm1 said:
With the number of soldiers in Iraq. and the situation our soldiers are in, it would be unusual if things like this didn't happen. It sends out a very bad message but it's wishful thinking to think that things like this aren't going to happen when soldiers are subjected to the stresses of war. Probably especially so when the very population they are supposed to be helping, don't even want them there.

Right Buzz, we have to expect to hear such things; it would be unrealistic to expect otherwise. But when I do hear such things, I still just have to shake my head and suspect that I always will.

GIs may have planned Iraq rape, slayings

BEIJI, Iraq - Investigators believe a group of U.S. soldiers suspected of raping an Iraqi woman, then killing her and three members of her family plotted the attack for nearly a week, a U.S. military official said Saturday. Up to five soldiers are being investigated in the March killings, the fifth pending case involving alleged slayings of Iraqi civilians by U.S. troops.

The Americans entered the Sunni Arab's family home, separated three males from the woman, raped her and burned her body using a flammable liquid in a cover-up attempt, a military official close to the investigation said. The three males were also slain.

The soldiers had studied their victims for about a week and the attack was "totally premeditated," the official said on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing. The family had just moved into the home in the insurgent-riddled area around Mahmoudiya, 20 miles south of Baghdad.

The U.S. military issued a terse statement about the killings Friday, saying only that Maj. Gen. James D. Thurman, commander of the 4th Infantry Division, ordered a criminal investigation into the alleged slaying of a family of four in Mahmoudiya.

U.S. officials said they knew of the deaths but thought the victims were killed in sectarian violence. But Mahmoudiya police Capt. Ihsan Abdul-Rahman said Iraqi officials received a report on March 13 alleging that American soldiers had killed the family in the Khasir Abyad area, about 6 miles north of Mahmoudiya.

http://tinyurl.com/phx9m

Buzzm1 said:

BEIJI, Iraq - Investigators believe a group of U.S. soldiers suspected of raping an Iraqi woman, then killing her and three members of her family plotted the attack for nearly a week, a U.S. military official said Saturday. Up to five soldiers are being investigated in the March killings, the fifth pending case involving alleged slayings of Iraqi civilians by U.S. troops.

The Americans entered the Sunni Arab's family home, separated three males from the woman, raped her and burned her body using a flammable liquid in a cover-up attempt, a military official close to the investigation said. The three males were also slain.

The soldiers had studied their victims for about a week and the attack was "totally premeditated," the official said on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing. The family had just moved into the home in the insurgent-riddled area around Mahmoudiya, 20 miles south of Baghdad.

The U.S. military issued a terse statement about the killings Friday, saying only that Maj. Gen. James D. Thurman, commander of the 4th Infantry Division, ordered a criminal investigation into the alleged slaying of a family of four in Mahmoudiya.

U.S. officials said they knew of the deaths but thought the victims were killed in sectarian violence. But Mahmoudiya police Capt. Ihsan Abdul-Rahman said Iraqi officials received a report on March 13 alleging that American soldiers had killed the family in the Khasir Abyad area, about 6 miles north of Mahmoudiya.

If true, it was as bad an act as one could imagine. It would beg for a firing squad (or whatever execution method is used by the armed services these days).

I hesitated to post this thread at first because I had mixed emotions due to it involving U.S. soldiers. I wouldn't have had a second thought if it had been just regular citizens, but hate that it casts such a bad light towards a very few in our armes forces.
I wonder if there are other people reading who hesitate to make comments because of feelings of disloyalty if they do?
I think it's important to understand that if what is being accused did happen, it's a horrible brutal crime and the people responsible should and need to be punished. There are victims who deserve justice and I hope all of the truth can be uncovered.

Old Broad

Old Broad said:
I hesitated to post this thread at first because I had mixed emotions due to it involving U.S. soldiers. I wouldn't have had a second thought if it had been just regular citizens, but hate that it casts such a bad light towards a very few in our armes forces.
I wonder if there are other people reading who hesitate to make comments because of feelings of disloyalty if they do?
I think it's important to understand that if what is being accused did happen, it's a horrible brutal crime and the people responsible should and need to be punished. There are victims who deserve justice and I hope all of the truth can be uncovered.

Old Broad

It was an excellent post, very thought provoking.

Buzzm1 said:

It sounds from this part that the women was burned alive! It doesn't say "raped and killed" first.

I'm also glad you posted the article, Old Broad. No matter if it is our soldiers, it is still a horrible crime that should be prosecuted. Thank goodness someone had a conscience and reported it.

I agree that these types of things happen when you have this situation of a war with confusion about who is the enemy and young men who have been trained to kill under enormous pressure.

Still, it does not reflect on all the men in that unit, or certainly in all the forces over there, who are doing the best they can under very hard conditions, and trying to help the Iraqis.

Wudge said:
Right Buzz, we have to expect to hear such things; it would be unrealistic to expect otherwise.
We should not expect to hear such things and we should not feel disloyal for condemming these mens behavior. What they did was a disgrace. There are thousands of military members serving in Iraq and dealing with the conflicting emotions that being in a combat situation entails without resorting to rape and murder. They need to be locked up like the (s) they are.

I just heard that there has been charges against a discharged soldier connected with this this case, this must be the one mentioned before that since the rape/murder had been discharged and back in the U.S. No details yet of where or how the arrest happened.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/03/iraq.main.ap/index.html

Have found a link. Article has a lot of details.

The Washington Post reported Monday that the rape victim was a 15-year-old girl and that her mother had worried her daughter had attracted the attention of U.S. soldiers at a checkpoint. The mother asked a neighbor if the girl could sleep at his house.

The neighbor, Omar Janabi, agreed but the girl and her family were attacked the next day -- March 11, according to the Post.

Old Broad

This is such a horrible and disgusting story. Thank god one of the soldiers who wasn't involved told someone what happened. This makes me sick to my stomach.

Old Broad said:
I just heard that there has been charges against a discharged soldier connected with this this case, this must be the one mentioned before that since the rape/murder had been discharged and back in the U.S. No details yet of where or how the arrest happened.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/03/iraq.main.ap/index.html

Have found a link. Article has a lot of details.

The Washington Post reported Monday that the rape victim was a 15-year-old girl and that her mother had worried her daughter had attracted the attention of U.S. soldiers at a checkpoint. The mother asked a neighbor if the girl could sleep at his house.

The neighbor, Omar Janabi, agreed but the girl and her family were attacked the next day -- March 11, according to the Post.

Old Broad
That kid is certainly one very sick puppy. I am going to be surprised if he isn't sentenced to death, let alone all of them. The pre-meditated crimes he, and the others, committed are abominable. To know that they planned this is just completely mind-boggling.

Ex-GI charged with rape of Iraqi, deaths

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A former soldier discharged because of a "personality disorder" was accused in federal court Monday of executing an Iraqi family so he and other troops could rape and murder a young woman they had been eyeing at a traffic checkpoint.

Steven D. Green, a skinny, 21-year-old former private, was led into court wearing baggy shorts, flip-flops and a Johnny Cash T-shirt. He spoke only to confirm his identity and stared as a federal magistrate ordered him held without bond on murder and rape charges that carry a possible death penalty.

Green became the first person identified in the latest case of alleged killings of Iraqi civilians by U.S. troops, horrific deaths discovered in a burning house near Mahmoudiya in March that military officials initially blamed on insurgents.

According to a 10-page federal affidavit, Green and three other soldiers from the Fort Campbell, Ky.-based 101st Airborne Division had talked about raping the young woman, whom they first saw while working at the checkpoint. On the day of the attack, the document said, Green and other soldiers drank alcohol and changed out of their uniforms to avoid detection before going to the woman's house. Green covered his face with a brown T-shirt.

Once there, the affidavit said, Green took three members of the family — an adult male and female, and a girl estimated to be 5 years old — into a bedroom, after which shots were heard from inside.

"Green came to the bedroom door and told everyone, 'I just killed them. All are dead,'" the affidavit said.

The affidavit is based on interviews conducted by the FBI and military investigators with three unidentified soldiers assigned to Green's platoon. One of the soldiers said he witnessed another soldier and Green rape the woman.

"After the rape, (the soldier) witnessed Green shoot the woman in the head two to three times," the affidavit said.

http://tinyurl.com/lcdah

http://tinyurl.com/ztb78

This is also a problem when we don't have a clear rationale to go to war...when people we are trying to help are viewed as the enemy and when other soldiers who heard them talk of the plan before it happened did not speak up.....................................war is hell and should only be engaged in when absolutely neccessary.............I'm sure there is more of this going on than we realize...................

kylie said:
This is also a problem when we don't have a clear rationale to go to war...when people we are trying to help are viewed as the enemy and when other soldiers who heard them talk of the plan before it happened did not speak up.....................................war is hell and should only be engaged in when absolutely neccessary.............I'm sure there is more of this going on than we realize...................
I'd say its more a case of the people you fight (and fight for) corrupting you. After all, our guys are stuck in a country whose society (both the good guys and the bad guys) treat women like cattle and have no problem killing their women on their own for "allowing" themselves to be raped. I'm reminded of APOCALYPSE NOW, where the jungle effectively eats the soul of Captain Kurtz. "You don't change the jungle: the jungle changes you."

So there are 5 soldiers currently being held on this. One other soldier raped the 14 year old girl, and there were two other soldiers, along with Green, present at the home at the time. Where does the 5th soldier enter into this??

They musr have all been there for the planning.

Buzzm1 said:
So there are 5 soldiers currently being held on this. One other soldier raped the 14 year old girl, and there were two other soldiers, along with Green, present at the home at the time. Where does the 5th soldier enter into this??

They musr have all been there for the planning.
That article says that Green killed the family and then he and another soldier raped the girl. I don't know what role the soldiers played. One of them appeared to witness the rape.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back