TX - Alexander Maxon, 1, drowned in hot tub, Mansfield, 30 June 2006

cathieq

Reaction score
MANSFIELD -- A Mansfield mother faces a capital murder charge after being arrested on suspicion of drowning her 1-year-old son in the backyard hot tub late Friday afternoon. Police offered no motive...

Judith Field, a neighbor, told NBC5 that Maxon appeared "catatonic." Field speculated that news reports on the trial of Andrea Yates, a Houston-area woman accused of drowning her children, may have motivated Maxon.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/14947279.htm

OK, the part in blue....uh, what does that remark mean? That it wouldn't have happened without Andrea Yates being in the news?

yeah, that's stupid. both women and men have engaged in various methods of infanticide (including drowning) for eons... it's nothing new, and was certainly not pioneered by the yates incident.

It has nothing to do with Andrea Yates. It is another mentally ill individual who should have never had a child. There is a story to this we just haven't heard it yet.

Look at her pic...the extremely flat affect!

No way to yet assess much of anything here.

Though I was happy when Andrea Yates was awarded a new trial.

MANSFIELD -- When Michael Maxon came home from the grocery store, his son's small body was already cold, he told a 911 dispatcher in a call released Wednesday.

"Why? Why, Valeria? Why? ... Yeah, he's dead now, but he was fine before," he yelled at his wife...

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/15081277.htm

Link to audio of 911 call found here.

(Dallas Morning News)

I wonder if the mother has any history at all of mental illness? That poor little guy. And her poor husband coming home and finding his baby boy dead by his wife's hand. That is just a nightmare.

It ticks me off that the media made a connection with Andrea Yates. Andrea is a very very sick woman. She has a long long history of mental illness. That jerk of an ex-husband should have had a trial too as far as I'm concerned.

Bobbisangel said:
I wonder if the mother has any history at all of mental illness? That poor little guy.
The father states that she had mental problems for 3 or 4 months and was taking Zoloft prescribed by her doctor. For some reason the baby wasn't growing as well as expected and the mother blamed herself. I think she became delusional and believed she was somehow saving or curing her son by drowning him.

That audio is so heartbreaking. :(

Marie said:
The father states that she had mental problems for 3 or 4 months and was taking Zoloft prescribed by her doctor. For some reason the baby wasn't growing as well as expected and the mother blamed herself. I think she became delusional and believed she was somehow saving or curing her son by drowning him.

That audio is so heartbreaking. :(

Oh how sad. I wonder if that was all she was taking was Zoloft? That is for depression not mental problems. I took Zoloft for years after the murder of my daughter. Recently I started reading a lot about depression and how you should feel while on an antidepressant. I realized I didn't feel at all like I should have. I was totally empty inside and had no joy in life at all. My thoughts were suicidal a lot of the time and if it hadn't been for the granddaughter I was raising I probably wouldn't be here. I finally went to my doctor and made him listen to me. I had talked to him before about changing antidepressants and he just poohed poohed me. I told him that I was tired of feeling empty and having no joy in anything....I wanted my life back now! I also told him that if he didn't switch me I probably would commit suicide. He switched me to Paxil CR and I can't believe the difference. I feel like the me before Shellely was murdered. It is like day and night. I have been enjoying being alive for the past two months. I'm really beginning to wonder about Zoloft. I didn't have homicidal ideation but boy suicide was on my mind all of the time. I even had a plan that no one knew about.

I just wonder about this gal and the Zoloft. If she was having bad thoughts I wonder if she talked to anyone about them? I did talk to my kids off and on about the way I felt inside. This is just so sad for all of them.

Bobbisangel said:
Oh how sad. I wonder if that was all she was taking was Zoloft? That is for depression not mental problems. I took Zoloft for years after the murder of my daughter. Recently I started reading a lot about depression and how you should feel while on an antidepressant. I realized I didn't feel at all like I should have. I was totally empty inside and had no joy in life at all. My thoughts were suicidal a lot of the time and if it hadn't been for the granddaughter I was raising I probably wouldn't be here. I finally went to my doctor and made him listen to me. I had talked to him before about changing antidepressants and he just poohed poohed me. I told him that I was tired of feeling empty and having no joy in anything....I wanted my life back now! I also told him that if he didn't switch me I probably would commit suicide. He switched me to Paxil CR and I can't believe the difference. I feel like the me before Shellely was murdered. It is like day and night. I have been enjoying being alive for the past two months. I'm really beginning to wonder about Zoloft. I didn't have homicidal ideation but boy suicide was on my mind all of the time. I even had a plan that no one knew about.

I just wonder about this gal and the Zoloft. If she was having bad thoughts I wonder if she talked to anyone about them? I did talk to my kids off and on about the way I felt inside. This is just so sad for all of them.

I'm not even sure she was actually taking her Zoloft:

Michael Maxon also said that his wife, Valeria, was “supposed” be taking the antidepressant Zoloft.

She may have needed something stronger. It's sad to think that child might still be here if she was on a different medication. I'm wondering, like you are, if she had mentioned any bad thoughts to anyone.

Bobbisangel said:
I took Zoloft for years after the murder of my daughter. Recently I started reading a lot about depression and how you should feel while on an antidepressant. I realized I didn't feel at all like I should have. I was totally empty inside and had no joy in life at all. My thoughts were suicidal a lot of the time and if it hadn't been for the granddaughter I was raising I probably wouldn't be here. I finally went to my doctor and made him listen to me. I had talked to him before about changing antidepressants and he just poohed poohed me. I told him that I was tired of feeling empty and having no joy in anything....I wanted my life back now! I also told him that if he didn't switch me I probably would commit suicide. He switched me to Paxil CR and I can't believe the difference. I feel like the me before Shellely was murdered. It is like day and night. I have been enjoying being alive for the past two months. I'm really beginning to wonder about Zoloft. I didn't have homicidal ideation but boy suicide was on my mind all of the time. I even had a plan that no one knew about.

It is so interesting to me to hear you say that about Paxil. I took Zoloft for anxiety and thought it did nothing. Then I took Paxil and was depressed and suicidal (two things I hadn't been before). Now I take Effexor XR, which seems to work well. I am wondering if it has a lot to do with body chemistry or something, since the same medication can affect two people SO differently. And I too wonder, from what the husband said, if she was even taking the medication she was prescribed at all.

My husband & I both listened to that 911 call and both agree that it just seemed bizarre. The father seemed so calm and "matter of fact" during most of the call. He did get a little agitated towards the end, but nothing like I would have been had I come home to find my child dead. I even asked my husband what his reaction would have been as a male (god forbid). He thought his response was a little off too. Was I the only one to think this?

It makes me wonder if something else was terribly wrong in that house. I also thought his comment "You ruined it" was a little odd. May little Alex rest in peace.

Mr. Maxon recorded tapes, homemade therapy for his wife when she became depressed. On them, a police affidavit said, Mr. Maxon repeatedly chanted: "Our son is riding on the short bus." "Life is so deliciously miserable." "I am a mother. It's all my fault."
According to court testimony, Mrs. Maxon was despondent over her son's delayed developmental issue and blamed her breast milk for his disorders.
from the article above. i see why he should share the guilt. in fact he has more guilt than his wife. we can not expect the mentally ill to think correctly. what is his excuse?

This guy knew exactly what he was doing, he manipulated his mentally ill wife to murder their developmentally delayed son. What a piece of work.

(Source)
Mental-health experts warned him that Valeria Maxon was despondent and psychotic and, if left alone, could endanger the life of their 1-year-old son, Alexander.
Mr. Maxon recorded tapes, homemade therapy for his wife when she became depressed. On them, a police affidavit said, Mr. Maxon repeatedly chanted: "Our son is riding on the short bus." "Life is so deliciously miserable." "I am a mother. It's all my fault."

"To my knowledge, no action has been taken against the fathers until now," Mr. Dix said of Mr. Maxon's arrest. "The circumstances were ones in which no reasonable, similarly situated adult would leave a child of this age and ability and a reasonable person would believe that the circumstances would place the child in imminent danger."

An arrest-warrant affidavit released by the Mansfield Police Department shows that weeks before Alexander's death, a California treatment center advised Mr. Maxon not to leave his wife alone with their child. The former magazine executive said that either he or his wife's sister would keep Mrs. Maxon under constant watch.
But Mr. Maxon told police that on the day his son died, he left his wife and son alone at their house for about 90 minutes while he went grocery shopping. When he returned, Mrs. Maxon said that the boy had drowned in the hot tub.
"I did it. I killed it," Mrs. Maxon told her husband.

It sounded to me like he not only knew she was unstable, he played a large part in making her that way.

Those tapes are going to be echoing in jurors' ears.

Finally, finally, finally, I hope Rusty Yates is sleeping a little less soundly these days, but I doubt it.

The charge against Maxon is not "overreaching". :furious:

and yes it certainly is "a step in the right direction." :furious:

from the article above. i see why he should share the guilt. in fact he has more guilt than his wife. we can not expect the mentally ill to think correctly. what is his excuse?

I think it has been a long time coming and I don't care what gender the other parent is or is not. If either one of them know there were mental issues making it dangerous for anyone around them then the one knowing it needs to be charged.

And also I am so glad to see lately the door cracking open a little wider on these mothers who allow their children to be abused horrifically by her SO and do nothing to stop it and so many of these cases result in murders and exposing extensive physical abuse with broken bones not even treated.

We have got to start giving these babies equal protection and when that has failed ....then BOTH parents in the children's presence must be held FULLY accountable in our justice system. If not it will be like we have seen in the past where the child was denied full justice. I hate it when a case involves abuse or murder of a child and the first thing that the DA does is let the other parent or S.O. rollover on the other defendant and they aren't tried or they are given such short shameful sentences just because the Prosecutor is willing to do that in order to get them to testify. Some of these co-defendants didn't even serve time or got such a short time it was almost non-existent and THEY TOO participated in the gross, depraved abuse that many times results in death of the children. It makes no sense.......it never has imo.

Imo it is like rewarding the other aware parent for illegal bad behavior. I hope I continue to see more cases where both parents are held to the same standard and if mental issues were known by the male or female and was ignored then the one who ignored the warning signs should be charged for that as well.

imo

I think it has been a long time coming and I don't care what gender the other parent is or is not. If either one of them know there were mental issues making it dangerous for anyone around them then the one knowing it needs to be charged.

And also I am so glad to see lately the door cracking open a little wider on these mothers who allow their children to be abused horrifically by her SO and do nothing to stop it and so many of these cases result in murders and exposing extensive physical abuse with broken bones not even treated.

We have got to start giving these babies equal protection and when that has failed ....then BOTH parents in the children's presence must be held FULLY accountable in our justice system. If not it will be like we have seen in the past where the child was denied full justice. I hate it when a case involves abuse or murder of a child and the first thing that the DA does is let the other parent or S.O. rollover on the other defendant and they aren't tried or they are given such short shameful sentences just because the Prosecutor is willing to do that in order to get them to testify. Some of these co-defendants didn't even serve time or got such a short time it was almost non-existent and THEY TOO participated in the gross, depraved abuse that many times results in death of the children. It makes no sense.......it never has imo.

Imo it is like rewarding the other aware parent for illegal bad behavior. I hope I continue to see more cases where both parents are held to the same standard and if mental issues were known by the male or female and was ignored then the one who ignored the warning signs should be charged for that as well.

imo

:clap::clap::clap:

Amen to that!

Standing by and letting it happen is enabling these children to die.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back