1265 users online (249 members and 1016 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Arrow Animals and Fireworks

Area Humane Society’s remind you to that your pets can become very scared by the sound of fireworks being shot off and this sometimes causes them to panic and run away, even on a leash or from a fenced in area, or become injured trying. So please make sure your pets are safe and secure in a comfortable, quiet location anytime fireworks are being shot off, preferably with company. Please contact your local Animal Shelter for more information.

(I also posted this in the Pet forum.)

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Oh silly Dark Knight!we don't allow our pets to use fireworks... they are illegal here

Thumbs up Kudos to Dark Knight ..

So glad you posted this thread, D_K. Major Kudos to you!

4th of July, Halloween & New Year's Eve are all celebratory times for us, humans - but, they're the times I worry most about the safety of our animal friends.

There are just too many 'pet accidents' - that with the proper precautions & care - didn't have to happen. It makes me crazy!

Hey Jelly - my furry beasts aren't allowed to play with fireworks either.

13th Juror .. heading back to the Wimbledon matches

I totally agree 13th Juror!

very sweet of you to post this, DK! Good Karma on you! Happy 4th!
    ~*~Think Globally, Act Locally! Please Recycle! ~*~

The fireworks around here have already started unfortunatly, it's going to be a long weekend!
    If you have an animal and there's a lot of the loud firecracker noise going on, one thing that might help them is to put some drops of baby oil in their ears, it helps to coat the ear drum and it's not as hard on them.

Old Broad
    this is just my opinion, it may be wrong, user beware!

Growing up my dog would literally dig up the carpet freaking out from fireworks when we left him alone for the evening. My dogs now do fine, but they are inside sleeping on the couch and thankfully don't dig up the carpet. I always feel for pets outside who are scared Storms too...I can't tell you how many muddy strays I've tried to catch out roaming after trying to escape the thunderstorms!

Thanks for the reminder, DK!

Our dog, Chance, is terrified of loud thunder and fireworks in our neighborhood. Our city puts on a really nice show, from a barge in the river, and we haven't been able to go see them in about 5 years now because we stay home, go into the back bedroom and watch a movie, really loud. For the most part, the noise is drowned out enough for Chance to feel a little safer.

For a few weeks before and after the 4th, however, neighbors shoot off their own stuff here and there and we're never prepared for them. When that happens, she shakes really bad and pants and hides under my desk. The vet said we could give her Benadryl to help calm her, but that only works if you know WHEN people are going to be shooting off their own!

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Fourth of July weekend.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

Cool Tagging one's pet with an ID tag ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sassygerl

I always feel for pets outside who are scared Storms too...I can't tell you how many muddy strays I've tried to catch out roaming after trying to escape the thunderstorms!

Me too, SassyGerl. I've found (and foster homed) more lost animals over the years than I care to count. I truly wish more people would put ID tags on their beloved pets. It would make the task of returning them to their respective families so much easier for the 'finder' and so much less stressful for the animal.

During storms or times of stress for animals - I've made it a habit to leave my garage door open just high enough for a neighborhood dog or cat to come inside for refuge. I always keep dry food and filled water dishes there along with a blanketed dog bed & a kitty house/bed to crawl into available & accessible. (Animal emergency kit is also always ready & stored in my car trunk.)

I keep my own animals inside during those 'scary holiday weekends', as well as during our frequent summer thunderstorms that we experience almost daily here in Central Fla.

Old Broad - that was an excellent suggestion about a few drops of baby oil in a frightened pets ears. I agree - it really does help them .. along with lots of petting n' cuddling during a loud storm.

13th Juror

Yep 13th.....what I don't understand is how many dogs I've caught that have a collar on but NO tags.....what's the purpose of that???

How sweet to keep your garage up...I've never thought of doing that, but will in the future!

Thumbs up Ember .. I have a 'rescue' kitty by that sweet name ..

Quote Originally Posted by ember
    I totally agree 13th Juror!

very sweet of you to post this, DK! Good Karma on you! Happy 4th!

Teach Respect For the Earth and All Living Creatures

Be Kind To Animals, Don't Eat Them

Please check out www.meetyourmeat.com ...it will change the way you feel about your dinner!

I'm a true believer in the heartfelt sentiments in your tagline, Ember - and I smile to myself each time I run across your posts.

Quite honestly, I can't remember the last time I had meat on my plate - has to be over 30 years now. I agree - all life is precious.

Happy 4th weekend to you! Enjoy ..

13th Juror

Totally agree, Sassygerl ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sassygerl

Yep 13th.....what I don't understand is how many dogs I've caught that have a collar on but NO tags.....what's the purpose of that???

How sweet to keep your garage up...I've never thought of doing that, but will in the future!

Exactly, Sassygerl .. I'm with you - I don't understand it either.

Somehow, I think it must be one of those things that most pet owners mean to do but just never prioritize actually going & getting the tag. Busy lives and too much 'stuff' on their daily to-do lists.

WalMart stores as well as PetsMart stores all have the "make your own" pet tag machines near the front of their stores. $3.00 to $4.00 and about 5-7 minutes and owners would have a tag for their pet with pet's name, phone number and address. All done - quick, simple n' out-the-door.

I think many folks feel that because they have an "inside animal" that their pet couldn't and won't get lost - therefore a pet ID tag is unnecessary. I disagree. It can & does happen even to very responsible pet owners.

I sincerely hope anyone reading here that does not have the proper visible ID tag on their pet will rethink their choice and get one this weekend. It's a simple inexpensive precaution that could very well prevent future heartbreak.

Okay, Stepping off my soapbox ... lol

13th Juror

Don't forget to remind your friends and family with pets about this, as well! Spread the word!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Hi Dk
    We don't do the whole 4th of July thing...of course lol
    But it is sweet of you to start a thread to remind people how scared animals can get when fireworks are happening.
    Good for you

It's our job to look out for them, they rely on us.

My older dog does now get scared of the noise and of thunder too.

When he was a puppy he loved to run in the rain.

Both my dogs are babies and stay inside unless they need a potty break.
    If we are outside they like to hang outside with us but without a human they do not like being outside.

I ALWAYS stay home with my animals on 4th of July. We keep them inside
    both day and night around the 4th.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast