Animals and Fireworks

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Area Humane Society’s remind you to that your pets can become very scared by the sound of fireworks being shot off and this sometimes causes them to panic and run away, even on a leash or from a fenced in area, or become injured trying. So please make sure your pets are safe and secure in a comfortable, quiet location anytime fireworks are being shot off, preferably with company. Please contact your local Animal Shelter for more information.
smile.gif

(I also posted this in the Pet forum.)

Oh silly Dark Knight!we don't allow our pets to use fireworks... they are illegal here :D

So glad you posted this thread, D_K. Major Kudos to you! :blowkiss:

4th of July, Halloween & New Year's Eve are all celebratory times for us, humans - but, they're the times I worry most about the safety of our animal friends.

There are just too many 'pet accidents' - that with the proper precautions & care - didn't have to happen. It makes me crazy!

Hey Jelly - my furry beasts aren't allowed to play with fireworks either. :D

13th Juror .. heading back to the Wimbledon matches :)

I totally agree 13th Juror!

very sweet of you to post this, DK! Good Karma on you! Happy 4th!

The fireworks around here have already started unfortunatly, it's going to be a long weekend!
If you have an animal and there's a lot of the loud firecracker noise going on, one thing that might help them is to put some drops of baby oil in their ears, it helps to coat the ear drum and it's not as hard on them.

Old Broad

Growing up my dog would literally dig up the carpet freaking out from fireworks when we left him alone for the evening. My dogs now do fine, but they are inside sleeping on the couch and thankfully don't dig up the carpet. I always feel for pets outside who are scared :( Storms too...I can't tell you how many muddy strays I've tried to catch out roaming after trying to escape the thunderstorms!

Thanks for the reminder, DK! :blowkiss:

Our dog, Chance, is terrified of loud thunder and fireworks in our neighborhood. Our city puts on a really nice show, from a barge in the river, and we haven't been able to go see them in about 5 years now because we stay home, go into the back bedroom and watch a movie, really loud. For the most part, the noise is drowned out enough for Chance to feel a little safer.

For a few weeks before and after the 4th, however, neighbors shoot off their own stuff here and there and we're never prepared for them. When that happens, she shakes really bad and pants and hides under my desk. The vet said we could give her Benadryl to help calm her, but that only works if you know WHEN people are going to be shooting off their own!

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Fourth of July weekend.

Sassygerl said:
I always feel for pets outside who are scared :( Storms too...I can't tell you how many muddy strays I've tried to catch out roaming after trying to escape the thunderstorms!

Me too, SassyGerl. I've found (and foster homed) more lost animals over the years than I care to count. I truly wish more people would put ID tags on their beloved pets. It would make the task of returning them to their respective families so much easier for the 'finder' and so much less stressful for the animal.

During storms or times of stress for animals - I've made it a habit to leave my garage door open just high enough for a neighborhood dog or cat to come inside for refuge. I always keep dry food and filled water dishes there along with a blanketed dog bed & a kitty house/bed to crawl into available & accessible. (Animal emergency kit is also always ready & stored in my car trunk.)

I keep my own animals inside during those 'scary holiday weekends', as well as during our frequent summer thunderstorms that we experience almost daily here in Central Fla.

Old Broad - that was an excellent suggestion about a few drops of baby oil in a frightened pets ears. I agree - it really does help them .. along with lots of petting n' cuddling during a loud storm. :D

13th Juror :)

Yep 13th.....what I don't understand is how many dogs I've caught that have a collar on but NO tags.....what's the purpose of that???

How sweet to keep your garage up...I've never thought of doing that, but will in the future!

ember said:
I totally agree 13th Juror!

very sweet of you to post this, DK! Good Karma on you! Happy 4th!

Teach Respect For the Earth and All Living Creatures

Be Kind To Animals, Don't Eat Them

Please check out www.meetyourmeat.com ...it will change the way you feel about your dinner!

I'm a true believer in the heartfelt sentiments in your tagline, Ember - and I smile to myself each time I run across your posts. :)

Quite honestly, I can't remember the last time I had meat on my plate - has to be over 30 years now. I agree - all life is precious.

Happy 4th weekend to you! Enjoy .. :D

13th Juror

Sassygerl said:
Yep 13th.....what I don't understand is how many dogs I've caught that have a collar on but NO tags.....what's the purpose of that???

How sweet to keep your garage up...I've never thought of doing that, but will in the future!

Exactly, Sassygerl .. I'm with you - I don't understand it either. :confused:

Somehow, I think it must be one of those things that most pet owners mean to do but just never prioritize actually going & getting the tag. Busy lives and too much 'stuff' on their daily to-do lists.

WalMart stores as well as PetsMart stores all have the "make your own" pet tag machines near the front of their stores. $3.00 to $4.00 and about 5-7 minutes and owners would have a tag for their pet with pet's name, phone number and address. All done - quick, simple n' out-the-door.

I think many folks feel that because they have an "inside animal" that their pet couldn't and won't get lost - therefore a pet ID tag is unnecessary. I disagree. It can & does happen even to very responsible pet owners.

I sincerely hope anyone reading here that does not have the proper visible ID tag on their pet will rethink their choice and get one this weekend. It's a simple inexpensive precaution that could very well prevent future heartbreak.

Okay, Stepping off my soapbox ... lol

13th Juror

Don't forget to remind your friends and family with pets about this, as well! Spread the word!

Hi Dk
We don't do the whole 4th of July thing...of course lol
But it is sweet of you to start a thread to remind people how scared animals can get when fireworks are happening.
Good for you :)

It's our job to look out for them, they rely on us.

My older dog does now get scared of the noise and of thunder too.

When he was a puppy he loved to run in the rain.

Both my dogs are babies and stay inside unless they need a potty break.
If we are outside they like to hang outside with us but without a human they do not like being outside.

I ALWAYS stay home with my animals on 4th of July. We keep them inside
both day and night around the 4th.

Thanks for the heads up DK. Many years ago, when my oldest was 3, we went to the Prince George's County Fair in Maryland. All day he kept up about the fireworks. Couldn't wait to see them. Well at the first loud BOOM, he buried his head in my shoulder and cried, "I want to go home." We teased him out of it, but we both will never forget that one. Also had a puppy we had just gotten and went everywhere with us. We took her with us to the neighborhood show and we ended up having to put her under the blanket. She howled and howled at first.

Currently, the BarnGod has to get the draft horses he uses in town home before the annual fireworks show here. They stay near enough to where they shoot them off, and we don't need to have them panic, as horses are prey animals and definitely would try to flee.

I have never allowed my boys to have fireworks personally with the exception of sparklers on occasion. A neighbor's son had a cherry bomb blow up in his hand and they saw the results. After that I never had any problem with them wanting fireworks. We stuck to the shows.

I agree with taking great care with your pets. They are a great joy to all of us who own animals, but also a huge responsibility. I'm a sucker for animals. Living on a ranch we certainly have our share. If someone says they have an animal that needs a home, I'll come home with it. Once loaded a goat in my car and took her home.

Hey, what is the best display you ever saw? Mine was getting up at the crack of dawn, going down into DC to set up a perfect spot in 1976 for the Bicentennial Celebration. Great show!

My horse has survived every fourth of july so far - but he will run around the 5 acres at breakneck speed (it's actually amusing to see him bucking and farting so much) but I know if I tie him, he will break his neck.

I don't shoot them off at my house becasue of him - but the neigh-bors don't worry much about the horse. :-(

I hesitate to bring this up but maybe you can save a pet...

A few years ago, this family left their dog outside around the 4th of July and were gone all day. It was hot outside and apparently some kids were teasing the dog and threw it a firework. The dog pcked it up and it blew up inside his mouth... he was running around looking for water outside the house and didn't have any and wound up dying.

I can't remember the entire story but this happened in Illinois near Alton.
The kids did it on purpose and we were waiting to see what would happen to them ... what kind of punishment.

This is a very sad story ... but my point in bringing it up is please keep your pets indoors while you are gone if you can help it. There are cruel punk kids out there who could do something similar.
I wouldn't want any of s to lose our pets.

What I did for my dogs when there were pupps.
Had a recording of fireworks.
Played it low at first, then louder and louder for about a week.
Worked out great.
There not afraid of fireworks or t-storms...:woohoo:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member