1016 users online (135 members and 881 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Crack found in foam of Space Shuttle's external fuel tank

Do you ever feel like the same thing is happening over and over, kind of like that movie Groundhog Day?

How much money have we spent on this dude through the years? Just hope we don't have anymore accidents involving humans.

Sorry, it was on the breaking news at the top of my computer screen on MSNBC; don't know how to find a link yet.

Link

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/0...nch/index.html

You know - I grew up in Titusville and Cocoa Beach and my dad worked on Pad 39B. I watch all of the news regarding the space program religiously! I am so depressed with all of the issues lately. And, yes, Marhatex, this is Groundhog Day

Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex
    Do you ever feel like the same thing is happening over and over, kind of like that movie Groundhog Day?

How much money have we spent on this dude through the years? Just hope we don't have anymore accidents involving humans.

Sorry, it was on the breaking news at the top of my computer screen on MSNBC; don't know how to find a link yet.
    I thought you meant crack like the drug as in crack cocaine was found hidden in the foam on the shuttle. I thought OMG now even the astronauts are smuggling drugs on board.
    groundhogs day indeedy.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    I thought you meant crack like the drug as in crack cocaine was found hidden in the foam on the shuttle. I thought OMG now even the astronauts are smuggling drugs on board.
    groundhogs day indeedy.
    That's exactly what I thought!!!!! I said outloud, "who would put crack in the foam???" and my husband said, "NOOOO....a crack"....OMG!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    groundhogs day indeedy.
    That's what I thought too!

Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex

I think Someone is watching over the NASA astronauts, by sending bad weather the last 2 days. I mean, think what could have happened had they been able to launch?????? Now they can fix this and hopefully have a safe launch and mission, once they can go.

I'm yet another person who immediately thought of the drug crack

No doubt the weather was a blessing for this mission.

Well count me in also, I though it was was the drug.

So the crack is in the foam?

I heard them say this little piece could be easily repaired, but what it does is give them reason to question if there are any other spots like this where the foam could come off.

And even though the foam is very light, when it comes off it gains high speed velocity and depending on what it might hit, that could be a big problem. They said it could be a major design flaw in the shuttle.

God, wouldn't you think they would have this bug worked out after the last foam incident? 2 million is what it cost for this last delay. Unbelievable to me that we are still spending so much money on the space program. I'm thinking it would be worth it if they were investigating how to stop that meteor from crashing into earth, to help save civilization, but I don't think that is what they are trying to do. Or if they are trying to find the originating planet of those space ships that so many have seen from outer space, now that would be worth it too!

Scandi

Quote Originally Posted by scandi
    So the crack is in the foam?

I heard them say this little piece could be easily repaired, but what it does is give them reason to question if there are any other spots like this where the foam could come off.

And even though the foam is very light, when it comes off it gains high speed velocity and depending on what it might hit, that could be a big problem. They said it could be a major design flaw in the shuttle.

God, wouldn't you think they would have this bug worked out after the last foam incident? 2 million is what it cost for this last delay. Unbelievable to me that we are still spending so much money on the space program. I'm thinking it would be worth it if they were investigating how to stop that meteor from crashing into earth, to help save civilization, but I don't think that is what they are trying to do. Or if they are trying to find the originating planet of those space ships that so many have seen from outer space, now that would be worth it too!

Scandi
    I kinda agree with you; well stated.

"crack" - you can tell the different generations here. Boy if I see the word crack in the same sentence with shuttle, I know immediately - I think the last disaster starting breaking up a little north of here; I ran and called my parents as soon as I heard the news and they were like, "why did you wake us up from our nap?"

How about if you're skipping along a sidewalk, did you say, "crack, crack, break my granny's back?" You're old.

i am hoping they do not fly with this crack.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by izzyB
    i am hoping they do not fly with this crack.
    If they do, they're stupid, IMO! It shows they care more about having a patriotic lift-off than the lives and safety of their astronauts. Then they wonder why congress doesn't want to give NASA more funding.

Get all the problems with the foam cracking and breaking off fixed before they send up more astronauts. It's shades of Columbia and Challenger all over again...
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK
    If they do, they're stupid, IMO! It shows they care more about having a patriotic lift-off than the lives and safety of their astronauts. Then they wonder why congress doesn't want to give NASA more funding.

Get all the problems with the foam cracking and breaking off fixed before they send up more astronauts. It's shades of Columbia and Challenger all over again...
    I would hate to be the one responsible for the decision as to whether the shuttle flies tomorrow, or not. If they do, and there was a crack up, that would haunt the 4th of July, Independence Day, forever. Not an easy problem to fix. They are trying to limp in with the remainder of the shuttle fleet, as there isn't a lot of money available to begin working on a very fundamental problem, on a waiting to be scrapped program, at this stage in the game.

Isn't the foam surrounding the external fuel tank designed to crack and fall away during launch? Is that why they aren't concerned by this 3" piece of foam that fell off?

NASA to attempt shuttle launch Tuesday despite latest foam problem

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast