Crack found in foam of Space Shuttle's external fuel tank

Marthatex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Do you ever feel like the same thing is happening over and over, kind of like that movie Groundhog Day?

How much money have we spent on this dude through the years? Just hope we don't have anymore accidents involving humans.

Sorry, it was on the breaking news at the top of my computer screen on MSNBC; don't know how to find a link yet.

Marthatex said:
Do you ever feel like the same thing is happening over and over, kind of like that movie Groundhog Day?

How much money have we spent on this dude through the years? Just hope we don't have anymore accidents involving humans.

Sorry, it was on the breaking news at the top of my computer screen on MSNBC; don't know how to find a link yet.
I thought you meant crack like the drug as in crack cocaine was found hidden in the foam on the shuttle. I thought OMG now even the astronauts are smuggling drugs on board.
groundhogs day indeedy.

JBean said:
I thought you meant crack like the drug as in crack cocaine was found hidden in the foam on the shuttle. I thought OMG now even the astronauts are smuggling drugs on board.
groundhogs day indeedy.

That's exactly what I thought!!!!! I said outloud, "who would put crack in the foam???" and my husband said, "NOOOO....a crack"....OMG!!!!!!!

JBean said:
groundhogs day indeedy.

That's what I thought too! :D

Marthatex said:

I think Someone is watching over the NASA astronauts, by sending bad weather the last 2 days. I mean, think what could have happened had they been able to launch?????? Now they can fix this and hopefully have a safe launch and mission, once they can go.

I'm yet another person who immediately thought of the drug crack :D

No doubt the weather was a blessing for this mission.

So the crack is in the foam? :D

I heard them say this little piece could be easily repaired, but what it does is give them reason to question if there are any other spots like this where the foam could come off.

And even though the foam is very light, when it comes off it gains high speed velocity and depending on what it might hit, that could be a big problem. They said it could be a major design flaw in the shuttle.

God, wouldn't you think they would have this bug worked out after the last foam incident? 2 million is what it cost for this last delay. Unbelievable to me that we are still spending so much money on the space program. I'm thinking it would be worth it if they were investigating how to stop that meteor from crashing into earth, to help save civilization, but I don't think that is what they are trying to do. Or if they are trying to find the originating planet of those space ships that so many have seen from outer space, now that would be worth it too! :D

Scandi

scandi said:
So the crack is in the foam? :D

I heard them say this little piece could be easily repaired, but what it does is give them reason to question if there are any other spots like this where the foam could come off.

And even though the foam is very light, when it comes off it gains high speed velocity and depending on what it might hit, that could be a big problem. They said it could be a major design flaw in the shuttle.

God, wouldn't you think they would have this bug worked out after the last foam incident? 2 million is what it cost for this last delay. Unbelievable to me that we are still spending so much money on the space program. I'm thinking it would be worth it if they were investigating how to stop that meteor from crashing into earth, to help save civilization, but I don't think that is what they are trying to do. Or if they are trying to find the originating planet of those space ships that so many have seen from outer space, now that would be worth it too! :D

Scandi

I kinda agree with you; well stated.

"crack" - you can tell the different generations here. Boy if I see the word crack in the same sentence with shuttle, I know immediately - I think the last disaster starting breaking up a little north of here; I ran and called my parents as soon as I heard the news and they were like, "why did you wake us up from our nap?"

How about if you're skipping along a sidewalk, did you say, "crack, crack, break my granny's back?" You're old. :)

izzyB said:
i am hoping they do not fly with this crack.
If they do, they're stupid, IMO!:razz: It shows they care more about having a patriotic lift-off than the lives and safety of their astronauts. Then they wonder why congress doesn't want to give NASA more funding.:doh:

Get all the problems with the foam cracking and breaking off fixed before they send up more astronauts. It's shades of Columbia and Challenger all over again...

LinasK said:
If they do, they're stupid, IMO!:razz: It shows they care more about having a patriotic lift-off than the lives and safety of their astronauts. Then they wonder why congress doesn't want to give NASA more funding.:doh:

Get all the problems with the foam cracking and breaking off fixed before they send up more astronauts. It's shades of Columbia and Challenger all over again...
I would hate to be the one responsible for the decision as to whether the shuttle flies tomorrow, or not. If they do, and there was a crack up, that would haunt the 4th of July, Independence Day, forever. Not an easy problem to fix. They are trying to limp in with the remainder of the shuttle fleet, as there isn't a lot of money available to begin working on a very fundamental problem, on a waiting to be scrapped program, at this stage in the game.

Isn't the foam surrounding the external fuel tank designed to crack and fall away during launch? Is that why they aren't concerned by this 3" piece of foam that fell off?

JBean said:
groundhogs day indeedy.
Hahaha.
Me too!

I thought here we go, now even the astronauts are on drugs :crazy:

Toby said:
Isn't the foam surrounding the external fuel tank designed to crack and fall away during launch? Is that why they aren't concerned by this 3" piece of foam that fell off?
Toby, the foam is supposed to stay in place. I can understand them wanting to fly, as they believe the problem isn't going to effect the mission; however should they be wrong, it will be difficult for those who ended up making the final decision, to live with it.

I thought crack the drug as well:doh: ! My husband said I was having a blonde moment! I guess it is all the crime stuff in my head.

Crack cocaine, yep that was my thought as well!:doh:

They're still going to try to take off tomorrow. I don't feel very good about it at all.
snooty.gif
frown.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth