CA CA - Stephanie Crowe, 12, Escondido, 21 January 1998

:behindbar KFMB.COM

EXCAPES TODAY FROM THE COURT HOUSE.. :behindbar

BREAKING NEWS: AUTHORITIES: TUITE ESCAPES FROM CUSTODY

(02-02-2004) - A man about to stand trial for the stabbing death of a North County schoolgirl six years ago escaped during a break in jury-selection proceedings Monday, authorities said.

Richard Raymond Tuite, 34, managed to walk away from San Diego's downtown courts complex in the 200 block of Broadway shortly after 1 p.m., a sheriff's dispatcher said.

His last known whereabouts was at Second Avenue and Ash Street about 1:25 p.m., according to police.

Authorities locked down the courthouse while officers fanned out through the area in search of Tuite, who is accused of knifing 12-year-old Stephanie Crowe in her bed at her Escondido-area home in early 1998.

If you have any information on this case, authorities ask you to call the San Diego police department or 911.

A police command post has been set up on 2nd and C Street.

Richard Tuite is described as a white male, 5'7", 150 lbs, green eyes, clean shaven. He was last seen wearing a white collared shirt and gray dress pants.

Stay tuned to LOCAL 8 News for further developments.

oh this is horrible. I've read all about this little girls case. Hope they catch him. He's dangerous!

Oh good Lord... why aren't these people in Leg Irons??? how can this happen?? That is plain neglect and disgusting... of course criminals are going to escape if the see a chance... thats why the officers have to make sure there is NO CHANCES... disgraceful!

This just happened...........hard to believe but true! Good Lord.....
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
mama
Murder defendant Richard Tuite escapes

Jury selection was to begin in trial
SIGNONSANDIEGO

3:14 p.m. February 2, 2004

Union-Tribune file photo
Richard Tuite between his two attorneys Brad Patton on the left and Bill Fletcher on the right during a pre-trial hearing in December.

SAN DIEGO – Richard Tuite, a diagnosed schizophrenic whose trial in the murder of 12-year-old Stephanie Crowe was scheduled to begin today, escaped from custody at the San Diego County courts complex on Broadway downtown, police said.

Sheriff's deputies and police launched a major manhunt that extended beyond the downtown area. Authorities searched trolleys and buses at transit stops. A police helicopter and tracking dogs were brought in to aid with the search.

Tuite, 34, had been handcuffed while eating his lunch in a holding room at the court complex but managed to slip out of the handcuffs and walk away, said sheriff's spokesman Chris Saunders at a news conference.

From the Union-Tribune

Road to trial filled with twists, turns

He was being kept in an area where deputies were assigned to keep watch over him and apparently asked if he could change hands to accomodate his lunch break, Saunders said.

He was last seen in custody at 1 p.m.
Tuite must have slipped out of his handcuffs and walked away, Saunders said.
The handcuffs Tuite was wearing were found still attached to the bench.
"We're not exactly sure how he slipped out," Saunders said. "He got away.
"How did this happen?" Saunders asked rhetorically. "We'd like the answer to this question as much as you would. Is it embarassing? Yes. Do we take responsibility for it? Yes we do. Obviously something went wrong here."

Saunders said the Sheriff's Department was dedicated to finding out what happened and "fit it." Tuite was last seen wearing a long-sleeve white shirt, gray pants and brown shoes, said Dave Cohen, San Diego police spokesman. Tuite's was last sighted at Second Avenue and Ash Street about 1:25 p.m., police said.

"We're asking for anybody in the area who sees something suspicious call 911," said Police Chief Bill Landsdowne, who said Tuite should be considered armed and dangerous.

Authorities locked down the courthouse for a time while officers fanned out through the area in search of Tuite, who is accused of knifing Stephanie in her bed at her Escondido-area home in early 1998.

SignOnSanDiego
Sheriff's deputies confer on the search for escaped murder suspect Richard Tuite outside the county courthouse complex downtown.

Jury selection was to begin in the trial of Tuite, who originally had not been considered a suspect Stephanie's murder.

:eek: Oh my God!!!! I'm watching MSNBC and they have nothing on it!!! I can't believe this. I hope they find this man soon, he is extremely dangerous!!

MrsMush99 said:
:eek: Oh my God!!!! I'm watching MSNBC and they have nothing on it!!! I can't believe this. I hope they find this man soon, he is extremely dangerous!!

Can you believe this story?.......It's happening here where I live! LOL
Dangerous...........no kidding. Then again...he could be on meds...and calm.
I sure hope so!
It's all over the news here.......It's now 3:30 here and they haven't found him yet. The Media's really on this....
He's 5' 7".....140 lbs.........just said, he's very meek. Oh my goodness.
What an embarassment!

xxxxxxxxxxooooo
mama

Hey guys, let's all follow the thread in the jury room, its easier to find for other's and we will have one spot to share information.

Mindy.........It's all over the new's here in San Diego..........they're looking in Balboa Park, which is near downtown......all over Golden Hill's which is just East of downtown, they've got LE all over the place. Our Sheriff Bill Colander, also ex- Chief of Police is now making an announcement on TV....
He's saying .........that's there is NO excuse for this. OMG are they embarassed.......]
Hey..this is a big City, there are a lot of place's to hide........Sheriff Colander think's he's dangerous...
I'm sure it will hit the networks soon. It's after 4:00 pm here and he got away about 1:30! He's very clean cut looking and I don't seriously think the average person would recognize him. I don't think I would . All of us here in San Diego remember him as being dirty with long hair........dirty clothes....
That was a few years back when they showed him on TV.....
THis guy may never get caught! Geeze all he has to do walk across the border into Mexico. That's about 20 minutes from downtown!
xxxxxxxxxoooooooooo
mama

Mama,

LOCK YOUR DOORS!!! I can't believe I haven't heard anything on the news yet!!! Usually the cable networks pick up on this.

http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/news/2812246/detail.html

Richard Tuite In Custody

POSTED: 1:35 PM PST February 2, 2004
UPDATED: 4:29 PM PST February 2, 2004

SAN DIEGO -- The search for Richard Tuite, the accused killer of Stephanie Crowe, has come to an end, 10News reported.

The diagnosed schizophrenic about to stand trial for the stabbing death of a North County schoolgirl six years ago escaped Monday during a break in jury selection proceedings, authorities said.

Video

LIVE COVERAGE: Tuite's Escape -- LIVE On 10News
NEW VIDEO: Sheriff's Dept. Takes Responsibility For Escape
VIDEO: Police Captain Details Search Plan
SLIDESHOW: Richard Tuite Escapes Custody

Tuite, 34, was not shackled when he walked away from San Diego's downtown courts complex in the 200 block of Broadway shortly after 1 p.m., according to authorities.

According to the sheriff's department spokesman Chris Saunders, Tuite was eating lunch while handcuffed to a bench that was located next to a holding cell in a guarded courtroom. Tuite asked the one guard that was watching him to handcuff his other hand to the bench. Tuite allegedly freed his hand from the handcuffs and then walked out of the room and out of the courthouse.

His escape route is unknown.

Tuite's last known whereabouts was at Second Avenue and Ash Street about 1:25 p.m., according to police.

San Diego police Chief Williams Lansdowne said the public should consider Tuite armed and dangerous, though he was not known to be carrying a weapon.

Authorities locked down the courthouse for a time while officers fanned out through the area in search of Tuite, who is accused of knifing 12-year-old Stephanie Crowe in her bed at her Escondido-area home in January 1998.

Tuite, who is white, is clean-shaven, with short dark-blond hair and green eyes. At the time of his escape, the 5-foot-7-inch, roughly 150-pound suspect was wearing gray pants, a long-sleeved white dress shirt and brown shoes.

San Diego police have issued an all-points bulletin and started a search. A command post has been set up at Second Avenue and Cedar Street.

The police have notified the Border Patrol, California Highway Patrol the San Diego Trolley and all public transportation facilities.

If you have any information regarding Tuite's whereabouts call 911. If you are using a cell phone, call (619) 531-2000.

THEY JUST GOT HIM! . He'd been at the Clairemont Bowling alley........where all of my kids and grandchildren go blowing........fairly close to my house...
He didn't try to get away..........
Oh, I'm so glad.......LE said he just seemed dazed.........

xxxxxxxxxxxooo
mama
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Oh LoveMama I am so glad you posted this! Thank you!!!! I am so glad they got him!

I am here at work listening to the radio but they aren't mentioning it very much.

Thanks again!
Elle

Hey Elle! Long time no see! Everything is going well. When I had my sonogram about a month ago they said everything was perfect! I get paranoid sometimes because he doesn't move much. Both my other kids were constantly moving. I think maybe he's just laid back!!! I hope so, I deserve one calm child!!!

I hope we get chat back really soon. I miss everyone!

Oh thank God they found this man. He's extremely dangerous. :behindbar

LP Moderator said:
Oh thank God they found this man. He's extremely dangerous. :behindbar

I personally don't think he was dangerous...............maybe, but don't think so. I even have a hard time believing that he did it. Case went...police first thought the brother and a friend did it...............then disclosed that LE had forced them into a confession. Later, much later, they happened to find blood on the man's sweatshirt. NEVER found it in the beginning! It happened in her bedroom. How did this guy get in there? It's a really captivating case. This mentally ill person would be a wonderful suspect. Who knows............I'm anxious to see what happen's in the trial....

xxxxxxxxxxxooooooooooo
mama

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vconners