1195 users online (199 members and 996 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,341

    Afraid? ... Shoot First

    It's not what a man knows that makes him a fool, it's what he does know that ain't so. .... Josh Billings

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    A Similair law passed in Florida a few months ago.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    731
    I don't have a concealed gun permit nor do I carry one around in my belt. So the chances are I won't be affected by the law UNLESS my looks scare the living daylights out of somebody else who does have a gun. Everytime I go out in public...no, every waking minute I'm at risk for being shot...by someone who breaks in our house or someone who wants my car or by someone who is trying to protect himself and misses his aim. You get the picture...

    I think we should be allowed to protect ourselves...Unfortunately, having legal avenues to do so is still at an extreme disadvantage against those who do it illegally. I hate that life has come to this...that we have to establish laws to protect ourselves.

    I am not trying to make light of the situation or be sarcastic. I just find it extremely sad...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,341
    Quote Originally Posted by cathieq
    I don't have a concealed gun permit nor do I carry one around in my belt. So the chances are I won't be affected by the law UNLESS my looks scare the living daylights out of somebody else who does have a gun. Everytime I go out in public...no, every waking minute I'm at risk for being shot...by someone who breaks in our house or someone who wants my car or by someone who is trying to protect himself and misses his aim. You get the picture...

    I think we should be allowed to protect ourselves...Unfortunately, having legal avenues to do so is still at an extreme disadvantage against those who do it illegally. I hate that life has come to this...that we have to establish laws to protect ourselves.

    I am not trying to make light of the situation or be sarcastic. I just find it extremely sad...
    True, and violent crime is not slackening.
    It's not what a man knows that makes him a fool, it's what he does know that ain't so. .... Josh Billings

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    456
    I really don't believe these laws are intended to promote a 'shoot first ask later'mentality amongst the general public.Rather I am of the opinion that they are intended to make it legal to do what we should have the right to do anyway...DEFEND OUR LIVES,LOVED ONES AND PROPERTY.Should a person in bed asleep not have the right to shoot the crackhead who breaks in looking to steal the stuff he worked his arse off to buy?Should a mother not have the right to shoot the sick bastard who breaks in her childs room looking to satisfy some deviant sexual desire?Should we not have the right to shoot some **** who tries to jack our car while we're on our way home from work?Or maybe we should condemn these folks to a jail sentence for comitting such horrific crimes.Afterall we really don't need that expensive stereo system,the kid will grow up to have sex anyway hell let them start young,and we all know the mass transit systems in America are a great place to meet new friends who needs a car.Sadly many in this nation take such nonsensical approaches when they strive to argue that you ythe citzen who obeys the law and tries to make a decent life for your family don't have the right to defend against these animals.there is afterall no need to shoot the poor crackhead,hell it aint his fault he needed your stuff to buy his fix,nor is it the molestors fault your kid was wearing sexy pajamas......GET REAL.
    I firmly believe that the right to protect and defend our live liberty and property is a Constitutional guarantee to all Americans.Just as the crackhead has the right to decide to break into your home(according to some of the more soft hearted morons in this nation)You should have the right to splatter his drug laced brain on your wall as he creeps thru the window.It is unfortunate that in todays "free spirited"society we need laws to give us that which we should have always had.......But it is even more unfortunate that these laws are not Nationwide.
    http://proadvocate.proboards74.com/index.cgi death penalty supporters only

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    On the bank of Lake Pontchartrain
    Posts
    1,777
    Just get ready for those self same crackheads to claim self defense when a deal goes bad or they don't like the colors being shown in their neighborhood because they've extended the law to parking lots and sidewalks. More waste of tax payer money being wasted in the courts for these sickos who fight it out then claim they were the injured party. More court back ups, I can see that coming. More police efforts being wasted in a whole new direction on people who don't deserve it.

    Sadly they don't play by the same rules the rest of the law abiding world does.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by BhamMama
    Just get ready for those self same crackheads to claim self defense when a deal goes bad or they don't like the colors being shown in their neighborhood because they've extended the law to parking lots and sidewalks. More waste of tax payer money being wasted in the courts for these sickos who fight it out then claim they were the injured party. More court back ups, I can see that coming. More police efforts being wasted in a whole new direction on people who don't deserve it.

    Sadly they don't play by the same rules the rest of the law abiding world does.
    Get ready for it??????????.....Whens the last time you read the appeals of one of these crackheads on deathrow fighting to save their pathetic arse?......By reading a tad of nonchalance into your advice to me and others who support such laws I could ALMOST safely assume that answer to be NEVER.It is to the point in this nation that anytime you retaliate in any way shape or form against a ****,YOU ARE THE CRIMINAL.BS.You should have the right to defend your self,and the courts need the tools to safely determine if that was in fact what you were doing.The guy on the street upset cause his dealer sold him a 20 piece for 40 is not eligible for such claims......strap him to the gurney and lt the cries of cruel and unusual supersede.It really is not that difficult to have standards under law......Unless of coarse you live in the brainless madness we call fairness today.
    http://proadvocate.proboards74.com/index.cgi death penalty supporters only

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Quote Originally Posted by BhamMama
    Just get ready for those self same crackheads to claim self defense when a deal goes bad or they don't like the colors being shown in their neighborhood because they've extended the law to parking lots and sidewalks. More waste of tax payer money being wasted in the courts for these sickos who fight it out then claim they were the injured party. More court back ups, I can see that coming. More police efforts being wasted in a whole new direction on people who don't deserve it.

    Sadly they don't play by the same rules the rest of the law abiding world does.
    They never have ... and they never will .. and Ignorance of the intent of the law does not permit exclusion of compliance.

    I hardly think the crackhead even has a clue or follows the laws or legislation..
    If they are lucky their Public Defender does. In the end it will be some cute ploy by a lawyer NOT the intent of getting away with it by a crackhead.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    They never have ... and they never will .. and Ignorance of the intent of the law does not permit exclusion of compliance.

    I hardly think the crackhead even has a clue or follows the laws or legislation..
    If they are lucky their Public Defender does. In the end it will be some cute ploy by a lawyer NOT the intent of getting away with it by a crackhead.
    Very well put.Those who would advocate against such laws would in essence strip your Constitutional right to life,liberty,and the pursuit of happiness.Not to mntion that silly little right to "keep and bear arms".Of coarse these same advocates will argue how wrong it is to defend yourself with a firearm out one side of their mouth,whilst failing to realize that banning firearms would require a law.Now maybe I am short sighted,maybe as said in another thread I am contemptuous,Perhaps I am just a heartless bastard....but in my reading of the definition of "Criminal" I am assuming it to mean "One who does not follow the law".So under my contemptuous interpretation I beg these advocates to explain why if we the innocent lay down our arms by law,the criminal will follow suit.Simple questions for the brainless who would deny us our right to protect that which is ours...........
    http://proadvocate.proboards74.com/index.cgi death penalty supporters only

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,796
    Proadvocate,nothing wrong with what you say and I agree 100%.I have seen and heard about too many cases lately (particulary w/ jackings) where the people didn't have a chance.They were murdered for their cars and what piddling amount of ATM withdrawals that could be coerced from them.

    I may get a gun or not. I know I would never be afraid to use it but I worry with myself that I may be too quick to act.Dangerous times for all.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    Proadvocate,nothing wrong with what you say and I agree 100%.I have seen and heard about too many cases lately (particulary w/ jackings) where the people didn't have a chance.They were murdered for their cars and what piddling amount of ATM withdrawals that could be coerced from them.

    I may get a gun or not. I know I would never be afraid to use it but I worry with myself that I may be too quick to act.Dangerous times for all.
    Thanx,for the words of agreement

    I see your point and it is for that reason I personally have never allowed guns in my home.I do see a conflict within myself when I use this argument however.Am I really acting too quick when the **** has broken into my home?Did the mom act too quick when she caught the pervert in her 5 yr old daughters room?Did the broker act to quick when the crackhead jacked his car to sell for a quick fix?So many questions,and so many answers that make me want to agree with you.Yet I scroll thru other areas of this forum and I read of people who did agree with us,and questioned their right to defend their life and tht of their loved ones.Sadly the majority of those we read about are dead at the hand of some **** who now cries about how unfaiir our law is.It really makes me wonder if despite the heart of those like you and I the only good **** is a dead ****.....Questions beseech me.....answers fleet me
    http://proadvocate.proboards74.com/index.cgi death penalty supporters only

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,796
    I never used to be so quick to dismiss or offer up what I believe to be patterns.But, there are patterns.The violence is reaching hard core boundaries. Everything that you thought safe before isn't.Realizations and evidence of it is everywhere. Not holding a conspiracy theory but rather a wondering why everything pertaining to victims is lost on a greater postulate.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    On the bank of Lake Pontchartrain
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by proadvocate
    Get ready for it??????????.....Whens the last time you read the appeals of one of these crackheads on deathrow fighting to save their pathetic arse?......By reading a tad of nonchalance into your advice to me and others who support such laws I could ALMOST safely assume that answer to be NEVER.It is to the point in this nation that anytime you retaliate in any way shape or form against a ****,YOU ARE THE CRIMINAL.BS.You should have the right to defend your self,and the courts need the tools to safely determine if that was in fact what you were doing.The guy on the street upset cause his dealer sold him a 20 piece for 40 is not eligible for such claims......strap him to the gurney and lt the cries of cruel and unusual supersede.It really is not that difficult to have standards under law......Unless of coarse you live in the brainless madness we call fairness today.
    I'm not talking about some idiot who is already in jail. I'm talking about giving them another defense for their use of violence. Another reason to tie up our courts. Please don't step on my toes. Who the heck said I didn't support it? And who said I was giving advice?

    Personally, I hate guns, won't own one, dont want one, think that some people who have them shouldn't, talking law abiding ones, because of stupidity basically and well, we all know criminals shouldn't have them. But I will support to the death the right that anyone can own one because that is part of our basic freedom.

    I have not ridiculed your beliefs nor been forceful in my statements and I expect the same in return. Just because I may not believe the same as you doesn't mean my points aren't valid.

    When we give law abiding citizens rights it means we also have to give crimnals rights and THEY are the ones who will take advantage. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Just seems like giving them two hand grenades when we have a pop gun.

    Personally, I'd like to see the money that will be wasted on these court cases go to giving proper water systems to the poor in the Appalachians or setting up a clean, safe place for inner city youth or something worth the effort. Again, my opinion. Violence begets violence and I dont want to have to be armed to go about my daily life. When that is an accepted way of life, we have all lost.

    I do see the other side, really. The right to protect your life should be a given. But I don't think more guns are the answer. I wish I had an answer I could morally live with.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    3,358
    My neighborhood is in the woods. We all have guns. All our kids have guns. We all know how and when to use them and our dogs bark when someone comes in the yard. We protect our own and are not going to let anyone come in our house and hurt our families without a fight.

    But the ONLY crime in our neighborhood since I've been living here (1999 - present) has been some dogs getting shot for getting into some chickens. To me, that speaks VOLUMES.

    Bad guys won't come around people who are at ease with guns and can shoot them. They'll go for the easier, safer targets. I'd much prefer that the guys who are used to coming barrelling into an occupied house to threaten and then steal all of a sudden think they'd need to change their method for fear of getting killed. Sure, they'll still break into homes - but will look for unoccupied ones instead. I'd say that's at least a step in the right direction.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

  15. #15
    tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,012
    I don't find this law surprising in the least. Almost 40 years ago my parents lived in downtown Atlanta. Someone tried to break into their apartment one night. An officer came to make a report and told them that if that ever happened again when they were home to fire away. It was happening more than they could keep up with and that the most that would happen is that my dad might be taken in for a statement/questioning and released. They decided that although my dad had a decent job and the money was good, they didn't want to raise their family there. They moved back home a short time later.

    I will defend my family against anyone who tries to enter our home. All I could tell someone who tried to break in is that they best be prepared to meet their maker. Of course, we do have an alarm system too. I just don't trust that the local law enforcement could show up in time to stop them.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Buckeye Girls - Be Afraid...Be Very Afraid
    By Fritzy's Mom in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 09:54 AM
  2. Ramsey's: ...???be Very Afraid???...
    By Blazeboy3 in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 06:19 AM