GUILTY Canada - Ashton Moen, 17, Brooks AB, 19 June 2006

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
RCMP have confirmed that a body found near Brooks, Alta. on Canada Day is that of a 17-year-old girl who had been missing for two weeks and mistakenly declared a runaway.

Ashton Moen's body was found near an irrigation canal just outside of Brooks, which is approximately 160 kilometres southeast of Calgary.

Investigators made the confirmation on Tuesday and are now questioning local residents who may have information about what happened to her.

"There's a lot of people involved in this. As you could well imagine, a 17-year-old girl in the town of Brooks knows a lot of people and a lot of people know her," Sgt. Patrick Webb told the Calgary Herald.

More: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2006/07/05/alberta-teen.html?ref=rss

The search for a missing 17-year-old Brooks girl has become a murder investigation.

Brooks RCMP confirmed last night the human remains found in dense brush near an irrigation canal is Ashton Moen, who has been missing since last month.

Cops said they had no suspects, but spokesman Sgt. Patrick Webb said there are a number of people of interest.

"There's a lot of people involved in this --she's a 17-year-old girl in Brooks who knew a lot of people, and some of those people know things we need to know," Webb said, adding the autopsy determined the cause of death, but it is being withheld.

"She met with foul play," he added.

Ashton's parents, Shirley and Ronan, had been dreading last night's news since their daughter disappeared two weeks ago.

Ronan, who has slept just a half-hour since learning a body was found outside Brooks city limits, said he had been holding out hope his daughter was still alive.
"My heart is wanting so bad for it not to be her," Ronan said early yesterday afternoon, mere hours before learning the horrific truth.

More: http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2006/07/05/1668980-sun.html

My heart goes out to the family.

SewingDeb said:
My heart goes out to the family.

I wonder if LE had even been looking for her as they thought she was a runaway. Probably another family that knew that their daughter hadn't run away yet LE didn't listen. How sad for the family. My heart goes out to them.

I live in Brooks and it was a terrible time for Ashton's family.They reported her mssing,after a search someone who was one of her friends supposedly called the police and told them they heard from her and she was in Calgary.At that time she was considered a runaway.Her family never believed it because they never heard from her and continued searching on their own.A man has now been arrested for her murder.

Murder suspect arrested

A man who was interviewed early on in the investigation into the disappearance of Brooks teenager Ashton Moen has now been charged in her death.

Colin George Winsor, 30, was arrested at a local residence last Thursday and charged with second-degree murder.

Police reported that they interviewed Winsor after Moen went missing on June 19.

He claimed at the time that he had dropped her off for work the day she disappeared.

http://www.brooksbulletin.com/news/local_news.asp?itemid=54634

:furious: ...a 17 yr old girl and a 30 year old man....

People, what's wrong with this picture!!

They were not romantically involved.He had a young girlfriend who was not Ashton.There are many things being said,we live in a small town so of course things get around quite quickly.I don't want to be a rumor spreader,we will see if what I have heard about the situation comes out from the police.

Ah, so......was he dating Ashley's friend, then?

All I can go on right now is what is in the press and what I have been told.I would hate to say what I have heard and have the family read it,they have enough heartache right now.

The trial has now started in a neighbouring city,Medicine Hat.Apparently his claim is self defense.There are many comments on this guy around the web at various forums,from former roomates & fellow ex-employees.He used to work the sunrise shift at the store I work at.He told the manager he could only work the late shift as he was a vampire and could not be subjected to daylight.She told me he didn't last long.

Here is a snip from a news story on the trial yesterday.

The man accused of killing the Brooks high school student was seen loading a large object wrapped in a blanket and tied with wire into the trunk of a car outside his apartment, court heard Tuesday.

Douglas Rozek, who lived in the same apartment building as Winsor at the time, told court he had arrived home from work around 4:30 p.m. on June 19 and saw his neighbour struggling to load a heavy object into the back of his car. He offered to help lift the object, which he described as about a metre long, wrapped in a blanket and tied with coloured wire.
"I got my hands underneath it and he helped me, and we got it in the back of the car."
Once word of Moen's disappearance spread through the community, Rozek told police about the encounter because he "had a feeling about it."

http://tiny.cc/sQiID http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/city/story.html?id=ad21e7c2-6d25-46e3-b2e7-3c50c11dcaf8&p=1

From what I have been told this girl they are talking about is or was his girlfriend at the time.

Girl, 16, charged with hampering Brooks homicide investigation

A 16-year-old Brooks girl is accused of hampering a homicide investigation by telling police slain teenager Ashton Moen was alive and well.
The teen, who cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, is alleged to have deliberately misled police after Moen, 17, was reported missing June 20.

Police interviewed the 16-year-old on June 21, and again the day after Moen's body was found July 1 in a canal south of Brooks.
She is accused of falsely reporting Moen was safe and had been in contact with friends.

Link

In the days after Brooks teenager Ashton Moen went missing, a Wal-Mart co-worker grew increasingly agitated, his friends testified Wednesday.
Colin George Winsor's best friend, Christy Letourneau, told court she arrived at his home on June 19, 2006 -- the day the teen went missing -- and saw blood stains on the carpet in the master bedroom.
"I didn't say (anything), I just put my head down," she said.

LINK

MEDICINE HAT -- A pyjama top was found in bushes near the decomposing body of a teen girl, and the matching bottoms were in the accused's laundry basket, says the RCMP officer who was first on the scene.

The hands and feet were tied with shoelaces and the head and feet were covered with garbage bags, Appleby said.
The body was facedown, bound with knotted cable and wrapped in a blanket. The police officer said she recognized it as human partly because it was lying in a fetal position.

LINK

No, but his attorney is going to claim self defense.

Colin Windsor reported missing a warrant has been issued. He was in Newfoundland. I will post more as Information becomes available.
Ashton Moen's family has suffered with every twist and turn. Her mother Shirley is very upset. She received a call last night that he is missing. There is no news reporting this yet, as far as I know it.

I lived in Brooks for a year in 2008-09, and people cannot believe Windsor got such a light sentence. He was mentally unstable, a powder-keg ready to snap, an routinely harassed and intimidated people. He murdered that girl in cold blood, and all he received was a short sentence, due to some stupid juror error, and a second trial.

It's no surprise that he left Alberta, and moved to Newfoundland. People in Brooks would have wanted revenge, and his family (who coddled him way too much before and during the trial), wisely decided to move halfway across the country.

He did it because she did not want to "be" with him. She tried to defend herself. From what I understand that so called friend if hers wanted to "be" with him. She helped him for this reason.
Her mom is my mom's 1st cousin making her my second.

He did it because she did not want to "be" with him. She tried to defend herself. From what I understand that so called friend if hers wanted to "be" with him. She helped him for this reason.
Her mom is my mom's 1st cousin making her my second.

Sorry for your loss Rainstorm.....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks