752 users online (68 members and 684 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CA - Renee Fox, 25, Simi Valley, 1 July 2006

some news articles: (picture at link)

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs...812758,00.html

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=4322927

Here is a great article by the CrimeLibrary on her case.
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/ori...enee_fox2.html

Basically, she decided to take a road trip to the desert in CA to "clear her mind" and get away from things for a few days. She was actually on her way home after her boyfriend called her and asked her to come back, but she wasn't very familiar with the terrain out in the desert, and took a wrong turn and ran out of pavement and got her car stuck in something. Her car wouldn't start up anymore, and her cell phone battery was dead, so she was basically in the middle of the desert with no food, water, car, and just the clothes on her back. She started walking and eventually met up with some guys on a four wheeler, but apparently she said she would be OK, so they just gave her a couple bottles of water and left. The next day those same guys found her pocketbook with $900 laying on the ground, so they became concerned.

No one has heard from her since.

I am wondering if she started using drugs again, like that one couple that got disoriented in the snow last year and died of hypothermia, but her situation would be the opposite. With the heat like it is, it wouldn't take long to get heatstroke, especially on meth, since your body temperature is so high.

she was a very attractive woman and the four wheeler guys didnt leave contact info with the police? Hmm. I dont know, I mean there are many things that could have happened. She got really overheated and went in a mine or somewhere to cool down and had a heat stroke. Her boyfriend knew where she was, she called him and told him, so theres another thing. Then the four wheeler guys that say they gave her water. im not saying they didnt, but why didnt THEY take the stuff to the police when they found it? And one report say's that they offered her a ride...wonder why she didnt take it then? baffeling...
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

I never read anything stating that she was into drugs. Did I miss that? She may have just been totally confused w/ where she was, nothing more.

According to the Crime Library link posted above, the two men in the four-wheeler stumbled across her pocketbook w/ all the cash the next day and became concerned. Why did they come back the next day? This is just me guessing, forgive me if they're innocent, but were they possibly checking the area again to make sure they covered their tracks? I question this, like Angels post did, why would they give $900 to another traveler and not notify police themselves? Did the traveler happen upon them and they gave him the money so as not to look suspicious? It seems like they wanted this traveler to keep moving and giving him the money was one way to do it. How could they trust that this person would turn the money in or did they care? It states these two men gave her two bottles of water. Was this info reported to the traveler? How come no empty bottle was found?

Also in that link, Authorities also stumbled across a stolen car partially submerged in a desert pond. Whoever drove into the pond obviously got out. I wonder if that area was searched for any footprints out of the pond and where they might have gone.

There's just so much that could have happened. I do hope authorities are able to find these two men and question them further. My heart goes out to Renee's family and friends.
    Last edited by kahskye; 07-06-2006 at 08:50 PM.

I've been following this case and there's a few things that are really concerning. The Crime Library story states that tracking dogs picked up her scent and it led to a mine. The mine was thoroughly searched and there was no trace of Renee. The article states that there are numerous abandoned mines in the area, and that searchers didn't follow up with a search of the other mines in the area. Those mines should have been searched, regardless of how many there area.

The cell phone was found and the batteries were dead, so sometime after talking to her boyfriend, the phone went dead. Otherwise, she could have called her boyfriend and told him what had happened with her vehicle becoming stuck.

The guys in the four-wheel drive should have insisted on taking Renee into the nearest town, or should have called authorities right away and reported that there was a woman walking in the desert after her car had broken down.

The fact that Renee's purse was found with it's contents intact, indicates that there was likely no foul play involved. There was reportedly $900 in her purse and if someone had kidnapped her I think they would have taken her purse and money. Her purse being found intact indicates that she just abandoned it. That may indicate that at that point she was disoriented from the heat or possibly drugs???
    My posts are my opinion..........

Kahskye,
    One of the Crime Library reports stated that Renee had used meth. I think it's in the first paragraph that mentions her drug useage.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/ori...renee_fox.html

Why can't the guys be locals who were 4-wheeling during the holiday weekend? A lot of people were doing that around here...

I think someone obviously came along and picked her up, because if she had just died of exposure or heat, her body would have been found. I really hope she is alive.

H0NEYWEST is offline I have a .38 and an ocelot ~ they're both loaded
    Here's an interesting link. It has pictures of the area she is lost in and the kinds of problems that can happen. I really hope she is found soon!

http://www.ericrench.com/FOURWHEEL/INYO/08JUL04/

Quote Originally Posted by Leila
    Kahskye,
    One of the Crime Library reports stated that Renee had used meth. I think it's in the first paragraph that mentions her drug useage.

Thanks Leila, I somehow missed that. With all of that money she just came into, I wonder if she broke down and did buy some drugs.

englishleigh,
    Hopefullly someone did come along and pick her up. If she had died, I would think the search dogs would have found her body. What's concerning is leaving her purse with all that money and her credit cards behind.

Honeywest,
    That's an intereting link.......the terraine is pretty rugged, and it looks like someone could easily get lost in that area.

Kahskye,
    You're welcome! I didn't know about the meth link either until I read that article.

There's a new article in the Crime Libary on Renee Fox. According to the article, authorities believe Renee may have made it out of the desert to highway 395. They have a witness, perhaps another, that says she was seen on highway 395 in Independence. But, her brother isn't sure that the witness report is of his sister, saying the description doesn't match. He fears she's still in the desert.

Does anyone know if members of Renee's family have done any searching in the area where her car was found?

Here's the link to the Crime Library article:

It's hard to believe that the two men who say they saw her in the desert and gave her water didn't coax her into going with them before she got lost. Who in the world would see a young female in the desert and just leave her there whether she thought she would be alright or not. And why wouldn't she have gone with them rather then stay out there in that heat not knowing where she was going?

I'm wondering about the amount of money she had with her. I thought the article said she got a sizeable amount of money from a settlement for a nerve injury to her hands. $900 isn't a sizeable settlement. Maybe someone picked her up and just grabbed a handful of money from her wallet and left the rest.
    Maybe they wanted the wallet and money to be found.

It's odd that the dogs followed her scent to the mine shaft but she wasn't found in the mine. I wonder if there were any kind of tire tracks around the mine. Maybe she got that far before someone picked her up. I hope LE can track those guys down that said they gave her two bottles of water. Strange that the bottles weren't found and she hasn't been found either. I too hope she is still alive. You would think they would have found her in the desert if she was still there.

The one thing that's most concerning about this case is that Renee left her purse behind, containing her credit cards and a sizeable amount of cash.

If she was walking back to the town of Independence to get help, she would need her purse and cash/credit cards. She would want to call her family to let them know her predicament. She would no doubt be hungry and thirsty, and would need cash to pay for a meal. She would need to pay a towing company to tow her car to a car repair shop to fix it. She would likely need to find a motel room for a night or two while her car was being repaired.

The fact that her purse was left behind indicates the possibility of foul play.

Today, it's been two weeks since Renee Fox went missing, and no one seems any closer to finding her than they were two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Leila
    The one thing that's most concerning about this case is that Renee left her purse behind, containing her credit cards and a sizeable amount of cash.

If she was walking back to the town of Independence to get help, she would need her purse and cash/credit cards. She would want to call her family to let them know her predicament. She would no doubt be hungry and thirsty, and would need cash to pay for a meal. She would need to pay a towing company to tow her car to a car repair shop to fix it. She would likely need to find a motel room for a night or two while her car was being repaired.

The fact that her purse was left behind indicates the possibility of foul play.

Today, it's been two weeks since Renee Fox went missing, and no one seems any closer to finding her than they were two weeks ago.

It sounds like someone picked her up. Why her purse or wallet and money were found on the ground is beyond me. Even if someone picked her up you would think that she would have taken her wallet with her. Strange that the money was left behind anyway unless they didn't care about the money. She may have been really disorientated and dropped her wallet and maybe no one realized it. It's really a puzzle. Even if someone picked her up why wouldn't they have taken her to a police department or hospital if she was disorientated? The longer time goes by the more a person thinks of the negative. I sincerely hope that she is alright...but where is she?????

I have a 4-wheeler and live near The Hatfield & McCoy trail system this is the reason I never leave lost men or women rider's from out of area lost back in the mt's..I allway's lead them out to the safety of area home's and main paved road's.. This has messed up my preplaned ride's many of time's but I can sleep better at night knowing they was took to where they can find there way back to where they staying at...Matter fact I did this very same thing about 2 week's ago to some very nice people from PA..This started out as helping them maybe 1 to 2 time's a year now it's every time I go out I run into people that will need some type of help..If not it's a very strange day not to find someone lost or in need of some type of help...I sure would not be surprized if I have not helped someone out on this site before...I don't think them 4-wheeler rider's had done anything wrong except a case of bad judgement on there part and I say they feel bad about it now, but if they was going to harm that woman I think they would took that cold $900.00 dollar's cash with them too..I myself think she got sunstroke and lossed her wise judgement while looking and hoping her cell phone is working now is why she left a open pocketbook with content's around the area and then unknownly wondered off some where to get out of the sun or wondered off and ran into some not so nice people...If people found her and that money and was planing to do her harm that money would been gone too..

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast