Reaction score
Angela Gray Hamby, 20 Missing 29 Oct 1982 from Wilkesboro, NC

Angela Gray Hamby
Missing since October 29, 1982 from Wilkesboro, Wilkes County, North Carolina
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: 1962
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 108 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female.
Dark blonde hair; Blueish green eyes.
Clothing: Cream V-neck sweater with orchid button up sweater on top and blue jeans.
Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Dependable young lady left home to pay a car payment. Her mom told her not to be late because they were supposed to go shopping. Hamby replied she wouldn't be late. She never returned home.

Her car was found at a local business with the tank full of gas and the keys gone but her pocketbook with ID was left in car. Car was a silver mazda. Angela was thought to have been seen last around 11:30 am with a rough looking blond man driving her car at the location of where the car was found. Angela had no ID with her.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Wilkes County Sheriff's Department 336-838-9111

Source:
The Doe Network Case File 1164DFNC

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1164dfnc.html

It would appear that Angela was the victim of an abduction. What makes it unique is that the abduction aparently took place in the morning hours, probably in a business parking lot. A witness claims to have seen her in her car, with a rough looking blond man driving. But her car is found in the parking lot, containing her purse and ID. If she had gone to pay a bill, those items would have been with her.

While only speculation, I have the feeling that an abductor approached her as she entered her car, or parked it, and that she was taken in her own car to another vehicle, such as a van in a nearby, but secluded place, where she was subdued and locked in. The man would have had to drive her car back to the parking area, and then walked or caught a ride back to his other vehicle.

It would have likely been a crime of opportunity, rather than a well planned abduction of a specific person.

Richard said:
It would appear that Angela was the victim of an abduction. What makes it unique is that the abduction aparently took place in the morning hours, probably in a business parking lot. A witness claims to have seen her in her car, with a rough looking blond man driving. But her car is found in the parking lot, containing her purse and ID. If she had gone to pay a bill, those items would have been with her.

While only speculation, I have the feeling that an abductor approached her as she entered her car, or parked it, and that she was taken in her own car to another vehicle, such as a van in a nearby, but secluded place, where she was subdued and locked in. The man would have had to drive her car back to the parking area, and then walked or caught a ride back to his other vehicle.

It would have likely been a crime of opportunity, rather than a well planned abduction of a specific person.
That's interesting speculation.

I wonder what "rough looking" meant to the witness? Seems like that is a subjective description. What is "rough looking" to me might not appear "rough looking" to someone else. Also, I wonder if this witness was credible to the police.

Angela was a petite woman, 5'4" and 108 pounds. When her car was found in the parking lot, I wonder if the seat was pushed back. I assume anyone abducting her would be taller than 5'4", and would need more leg room in the car if he were driving it. Also, the mirrors would probably need to be adjusted.

Her car was found in front of a local business. I wonder what kind of business it was, and how far that was from where Angela was going to make her payment?

I agree that this seems to be a crime of opportunity.

I found this on the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation website. I wonder if this could be connected to Angela Hamby.

Unsolved Homicide / Asheville, NC / Pamela Michelle Murray On Valentines day, 1988, Pamela Murray disappeared from the parking lot of the Asheville Mall. Her body was discovered that same day on River Road, an isolated section located just past the Asheville Recreation Park. Pamela's Oldsmobile Toronado was used to transport her to the River Road area. It appears that Pameal was shot while attempting to flee whoever was assualting her. The Oldsmobile was returned to the Mall, but parked in a different section of the Mall parking lot than where the abduction took place.

http://sbi.jus.state.nc.us/sbimain/murray.htm

I just ran into someone who knew this family. We're going to see if they can find a way to contact them.

Marilynilpa said:
I found this on the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation website. I wonder if this could be connected to Angela Hamby.

Unsolved Homicide / Asheville, NC / Pamela Michelle Murray On Valentines day, 1988, Pamela Murray disappeared from the parking lot of the Asheville Mall. Her body was discovered that same day on River Road, an isolated section located just past the Asheville Recreation Park. Pamela's Oldsmobile Toronado was used to transport her to the River Road area. It appears that Pameal was shot while attempting to flee whoever was assualting her. The Oldsmobile was returned to the Mall, but parked in a different section of the Mall parking lot than where the abduction took place.

http://sbi.jus.state.nc.us/sbimain/murray.htm
Wow Marilynipal even if they are not related (and they could be!) it sure explains how she could be abducted in her car, and then the car is returned!

Great find!
clap.gif

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1164dfnc.html

Angela Gray Hamby
Missing since October 29, 1982 from Wilkesboro, Wilkes County, North Carolina
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: 1962
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 108 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark blonde hair; Blueish green eyes.
  • Clothing: Cream V-neck sweater with orchid button up sweater on top and blue jeans.
  • Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Dependable young lady left home to pay a car payment. Her mom told her not to be late because they were supposed to go shopping. Hamby replied she wouldn't be late. She never returned home.
Her car was found at a local business with the tank full of gas and the keys gone but her pocketbook with ID was left in car. Car was a silver mazda. Angela was thought to have been seen last around 11:30 am with a rough looking blond man driving her car at the location of where the car was found. Angela had no ID with her.

Bumping this thread. Does anyone see possible connections between this case and other cases of abductions from parking lots or shopping centers? Possibly other victims of similar appearance, age, etc?

http://www.therecordofwilkes.com/newsa.asp?edition_number=416&pg=F

New leads tracked in

Angie Hamby case

By JERRY LANKFORD

Record Editor

New information about the Angie Hamby case was received by investigators last week.
“We have received some calls and that information is being explored,” said Capt. Steve Cabe of the Wilkes County Sheriff’s Department. “What we’ve heard is worthy of investigation.”
2007%2010%2010%20Angie.jpg
Cabe, a former SBI agent, helped spearhead the investigation when Hamby disappeared 25 years ago.
As for the new information, Cabe was tightlipped, but added, “It may not be the solution to the case, but it does contain information that can possibly be correlated with other evidence that we have.”
Recent articles in The Record about Hamby’s disappearance prompted these calls, Cabe said.
Angela Gray Hamby disappeared Oct. 29, 1982. She was 20 years old at the time.
The day Angie vanished she had taken that Friday off from her second-shift job at the then Northwestern Bank’s data processing department on Oakwoods Road. She had worked for the bank before she graduated from West Wilkes High School in 1980. Afterward, she had enrolled in classes at Wilkes Community College and hoped to transfer to Appalachian State University.
Her mother, Shirley, had also taken the day off from her job at Benson & Blevins. They had planned to go on an out-of-town shopping trip.
Angie had dressed in jeans, a scallop-necked sweater and sandals with socks. She wore a gold add-a-bead chain around her neck. On a finger was a new diamond and sapphire ring she had bought at Burke’s Jewelry, where Cheryl worked on Main Street in North Wilkesboro.
Before the trip, Angie had planned to run some errands. Her silver 1980 model Mazda RX7 was nearly empty on gas, so she first planned to stop and buy fuel, likely at the Wilco on U.S. 421 West. Angie also needed to make a car payment. Since she and her mother used the same bank — NCNB (now the location of Town Hall) — Shirley asked her make a deposit for her. After that, Angie planned to deliver a message to her sister at work, just up the street from the bank, then drive back home to leave for the shopping trip.
Angie had left around 9:30 a.m. The Hambys live on Pads Road; therefore Angie would have likely cut across on Dancy Road and then onto U.S. 421 to get gas. From there she would have taken the bypass into Downtown North Wilkesboro
2007%2010%2010%20Suspect.jpg
Former Wilkesboro Police Chief Gary Parsons, a patrol officer at the time, told the family that he spotted Angie in her silver sports car a short while later near Winn Dixie. Someone also reported seeing the young woman inside a Main Street North Wilkesboro clothing store, and said that she was acting nervous like she was trying to avoid someone.
By noon, when Shirley hadn’t heard from her daughter, she knew something was wrong. Jerry, Angie’s father, had been deer hunting in South Carolina and quickly came home when he heard his daughter was missing.
Around 1 a.m., Shirley received a call from the Wilkesboro Police Department. Angie’s car had been found in the parking lot of Glenn’s Tastee Freez.
The doors were unlocked, and the car was parked near the rear of the building beside some dumpsters. Angie’s pocketbook was still in the vehicle. Inside the purse were personal items, including her driver’s license. But, no money was found. The keys to the car were also gone.
The next day, officers interviewed a woman who worked at the restaurant who gave a description of a man who she believed she has seen with Angie. A composite drawing was made from that description.
From there, the trail ran cold and for 25 years the Hamby family has worried and wondered about what happened to Angie.
Cabe, along with Det. Sgt. Tommy Rhodes of the Wilkesboro Police Department, asks that anyone with information call them.
“Anything that they may have may be just what we need,” Cabe said. “So many times people sometimes think that the information they have is not important. I just ask them to let us make that determination. Something that may not mean anything to them may be the key that we would need.”
Cabe can be reached at the Wilkes County Sheriff’s Department at 903-7600 and Rhode can be reached at the Wilkesboro Police Department at 667-7277.

Click on links within article for pics of both.

Bumping this to see if there is any update since January on the leads mentioned above.

Angie Hamby case updated
Investigators vow to never forget
By JERRY LANKFORD
Record Editor
Tommy Rhodes remembers seeing posters of Angie Hamby when he was a boy.
“They were everywhere,” he said.
Rhodes, now a captain at the Wilkesboro Police Department, was 8 years old in 1982 when Hamby went missing.
Although his father, former North Wilkesboro Police Chief Randy Rhodes, was a career lawman, Rhodes said, “I never thought I would have anything to do with the case.”
Det. Capt. Rhodes is now in charge of the Angie Hamby case.
And, like the poster of the missing woman is an indelible image for him, he doesn’t want the case to ever be forgotten.
“We all just want closure for her family,” Rhodes said.
The investigation into what happened to Hamby has been a nearly three-decade enigma for law enforcement officials. Countless leads have been tracked, but to no avail.
Despite the passage of time and endless dead ends investigators have encountered, Rhodes said he plans to keep the case active.
Last week, the detective updated the old paper report originally filed after Hamby’s Oct. 29, 1982 disappearance. The information is now in the form of a computer file, which can be more easily accessed and shared by officers. He also went through various pieces of evidence taken from Hamby’s Mazda RX7, which was found in the parking lot of Glenn's restaurant in Wilkesboro.
“I spent most of the day on Friday itemizing these things and entering them in the computer,” Rhodes said.
The items included pieces of paper, a clear plastic raincoat, cigarette butts and Hamby’s pocketbook. Some of the items still had the dust from the decades-old fingerprinting done after the woman disappeared.
It has been almost 29 years since Hamby, vanished. She was 20 years old, a 1980 graduate of West Wilkes High School where she was a cheerleader. At the time of her disappearance she worked for First Union Bank and attended Wilkes Community College.
These days, leads are few and far between.
According to Angie’s mother, Shirley, her daughter had left her home on Pads Road around 9:30 a.m. to make a deposit at NCNB (at the location which is now North Wilkesboro Town Hall). She was also going to deliver a message to her sister, Cheryl, who worked down the street at Burke’s Jewelry (now the offices of The Record and Thursday Printing), and return home. She and her mother had both taken the day off from work to go shopping out of town.
On her way into Downtown North Wilkesboro, she was spotted by former Wilkesboro Police Chief Gary Parsons, who was a patrol sergeant at that time. Parsons knew Angie and her family because his mother lived nearby on Pads Road.
Around 10 a.m. that morning, a woman working in a Main Street, North Wilkesboro clothing store said she saw a woman that looked like Angie acting nervous like she didn’t want to be spotted by someone.
A woman working at the Glenn’s at the time told lawmen time that she saw Hamby sitting in her car with a man on the day she disappeared. That woman gave a description of the man she said Hamby was with and from there a composite drawing was made. Hamby’s silver colored car was found in the parking lot of Glenn’s Tastee Freez in Wilkesboro early on the morning of Oct. 30, 1982.
And, there the trail ends.
Rhodes is hopeful for new information.
“Usually, about the only time we get calls about the case is when there’s something in the paper about it,” Rhodes said.
Former SBI Agent Steve Cabe was considered the expert in regards to the investigation. Cabe was there from the beginning and had been among the first officers to arrive at Glenn’s when Hamby’s care was found. After he retired from the SBI, he then went to work for the Wilkes County Sheriff’s Department and was captain over the investigation division.
“He always said he wanted to see this one solved during his lifetime,” Rhodes said.
But, it was not to be. Cabe died in October, 2010.
“If I had questions about this case, I would go to him,” Rhodes said. “He told me he would never let this case go. He wanted this case to be solved. He wanted to do this for Angie’s mom and dad.”
Perhaps advancements in technology and forensic science will finally break the case. Information has been entered into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NAMUS). That system cross references various identifying elements such as DNA, dental records and fingerprints.
Rhodes says he feels that someone out there knows what happened to Hamby.
“It could be that whoever is responsible for her disappearance is no longer alive because it was so long ago,” Rhodes said. “But still, someone may know what happened.”
Like Cabe, Rhodes says he would like to close the case for the sake of Hamby’s family.
“They need closure,” he said. “They need their little girl back.”

http://www.therecordofwilkes.com/newsa.asp?edition_number=598&pg=F

Here you can access links to previous articles on Angie Hamby.
http://www.therecordofwilkes.com/searchresults.asp

I am a local in this area. This case has haunted this small town for nearly 30 years. I'm so glad to see that she is listed here. There's nothing I'd love more than for this case to be solved. No one has forgotten Angie. We never will.

No mention of the lead that was reported in January 2010. I guess it came to nothing. It will take a miracle now to solve this crime but glad to see she has not been forgotten.

20072010201020Suspect1.jpg
2501825820045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

This wasn't mentioned here or anywhere else AFAIK, so I will. This composite image looks amazingly like Christopher J. Below, who is suspected in the disappearances of several women, including Kristina Porco, Heather Teague, Shaylene Ferrell, and Kathern Fetzer.
porco_kristina.jpg
teague_heather7.jpg
farrell_shaylene.jpg
fetzer_kathern3.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/porco_kristina.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/teague_heather.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/farrell_shaylene.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fetzer_kathern.html

I called up Captain Rhodes of the Wilkesboro PD. He wasn't familiar off the top of his head with the name Christopher J Below. He sounded very interested in this, and said that he would look into it.

He certainly bears a striking resemblence to the sketch. And with the SC connection it puts him close to NC during that time period.

Here is his prison photo, showing what he looks like now.

web-177.jpg
hamby_abductor.jpg

Give him the same long hair, and he would look even more like the composite drawing than he does in his other photo.

The trouble is that his DOB is 25-Oct-65. Angie's disappearance occurred only four days after Below's 17th birthday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back