NC NC - Mark Clarke, 29, Tuckaseegee, Dec 1983

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/66dmnc.html

Mark Skinner Clarke
Missing since December 1983 from Tuckaseegee, Jackson County, North Carolina.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: March 24, 1954
Age at Time of Disappearance: 29 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'9; 155 pounds
Distinguishing Charcteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
<LI>Marks, Scars: Clarke had a full beard in 1983. He has a previous neck injury and also has a burn scar on his right knee.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Clarke became estranged from his family after joining the L'Abri Christian Fellowship of England in 1982. He began having problems with loved ones and some friends after joining the organization.
Clarke was last seen by his parents in January 1982. He also sought treatment for fatigue from a North Carolina doctor at that time. His parents last heard from him in January 1983, following his father's election to Congress.
Investigation by NC authorities showed that Clarke may have been placed on a plane by a member of the L'Abri Fellowship in early December 1983. He possibly flew to either Baltimore, Maryland or Washington DC. Clarke apparently then traveled to Asheville, NC by bus. He stayed in a motel while in the city on December 24, 1983.
Clarke then rented a car and drove to Tuckaseegee, NC with a friend named "Millie." The two arrived in Atlanta, Georgia, at which time Clarke dropped "Millie" off and continued to Columbia, South Carolina to visit a friend. He stayed with his friend for three days before returning to his hometown of Tuckaseegee, NC. Clarke's friends informed investigators that he did not want his parents to know that he was in Tuckaseegee during that time.
Clarke led a transient lifestyle. His family told the authorities that he did not possess any credit cards and paid for all purchases with cash.
There has been no sign of Clarke since December 1983. The friends he was in contact with told investigators they had not heard from since that time.

Yes there has been a possible match in this case. The Clarke family has summited DNA to be tested against a John Doe found in Raliegh NC in 1984. The det. on this case is Det. Lillard the familys dna profile has been done they just have to put it into codis. Been waiting for 2 weeks. Do not know how long it ill take to put into codis.

Betty

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on March 3, 1984 in Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina.
Estimated Date of Death: Approximately 1 year
Cause of Death: Homicide
Skeletal Remains
<HR>Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 25 - 45 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5' 5" - 5' 9"; 130-160 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; small to average frame. Scar, old right mastoid; prominent tibial tubuerosities (?Osgood-Schlatter disease?)
Dentals: Available. 8 teeth with amalgam restorations; 9 teeth missing ante-mortem.
Clothing: Left black canvas low-top "basketball" shoe (size 8 1/2); a pair of white socks; jockey shorts (small 30-32); red "Superman" t-shirt; pair of "H.I.S." dress blue jeans.
Fingerprints: Not Available

<HR>Case History
The victim was located in Raleigh, North Carolina on March 3, 1984.
This gentleman's body was spotted by a railroad engerineer as his train moved slowly past the area. The body was on an embankment in a small ravine between the railroad tracks and the U.S. Federal Warehouse just off of Garner Road in Raleigh.

<HR>Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
919-966-2253
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
Agency Case Number: ME 84-166

NCIC Number:

It doesn't seem so sinister and cult like as I have heard....

I think they have changed allot over the years. I have been told by the police tha they did allot of brainwashing back then. They would convince people to turn away from there familys and that is what Mark did.

Betty

So many things match with Mark and Doe, Hair color,scar on neck from old wound,heigh,weight,Mark knew Raliegh and if he was going back to SC he would of have gone one of two ways this is one way. Mark had burns and knots on knees( my brother has same knees comes from growing to fast at one time)The Doe had the same knees.

Does anyone know how long it takes to upload into codis after the DNA is completed?

Betty

L'Abri is about the furthest thing from a cult you could imagine. The SON of the founders however, has kind of wandered.

The 2008 dna check did not pan out according to http://www.officialcoldcaseinvestig...2-Unidentified-Male-1984-North-Carolina/page2. Comment #17;

Ms. Brown, I just wanted to let you know that we did receive the DNA profiles for Mark Skinner Clarke but so far there have been no matches discovered. I appreciate your interest in this matter.

Captain Steven Lillard
Jackson County Sheriff's Office

The following obituary for MSC's mother from 2001 is also interesting as it is clear that the family either know he is dead or are making a big assumption. The link is http://www.thesylvaherald.com/obituaries/article_f92cff31-abd7-5675-9300-bf71cd9b8e45.html?mode=jqm;

"She was preceded in death by her husband; two sons, Mark Skinner Clarke and Ambrose Cramer Clarke;"

I am not sure what to think about this case. I see no reason to think he died based on the original facts, but the certainty of the obituary seems rather final - and this family would have the resources to investigate thoroughly. Very odd.

NamUs 12123 now has completed DNA. My sources are checking to see whether or not he is Mark. Thank you for the work of ME, LE and NamUs. Sincerely, Houston Mom

4DF46230-2DB9-408B-9294-DDA78C0DF1C3.jpeg E126DEF9-3092-463C-992E-BBE3B8D226A2.jpeg

After coming across Mark’s photo it immediately reminded me of an unidentified transient here in Galveston, TX. ML 2006-057.

Of course it’s a long shot, I’m comparing a clay reconstruction of a mummified decedent to a very dated photograph of a missing person.
Oddly enough he falls into the age range, height and weight are also comparable.

It seems as though most of you believe Mark met his fate not long after his disappearance, but maybe just maybe he didn’t meet his fate until much later in life.

Unidentified White Male Texas | Galveston – CUE – Community United Effort

A potential match for Mark Clarke
Putnam County John Doe
277UMNY
The remains of the UI man were found near the Appalachian Trail in Phillipstown, NY. . Mark stayed in a motel in Asheville, NC near the Appalachian Trail. The UI was wearing multiple pairs of shorts, pants and under wear, That suggests a transient lifestyle.
The time period matches up for both men.
The photo of Mark Clarke shows he had a high nose bridge like the reconstruction of the John Doe.
What do you think?

A potential match for Mark Clarke
Putnam County John Doe
277UMNY
The remains of the UI man were found near the Appalachian Trail in Phillipstown, NY. . Mark stayed in a motel in Asheville, NC near the Appalachian Trail. The UI was wearing multiple pairs of shorts, pants and under wear, That suggests a transient lifestyle.
The time period matches up for both men.
The photo of Mark Clarke shows he had a high nose bridge like the reconstruction of the John Doe.
What do you think?
The truth does not have any resemblance to the naked eye, perhaps due to dates it could coincide but the appearance does not... he has different features... what I do think that he was possibly involved in a mass suicide or went to a desert or remote area to look for his destiny a word of encouragement a sign etc... I don't think he was murdered..
anyway rest in peace

• mark_skinner_clarke_1.jpg
Clarke, circa 1983
  • Missing Since 12/01/1983
  • Missing From Tuckasegee, North Carolina
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 03/24/1954 (69)
  • Age 29 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'9, 155 pounds

• Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Clarke may have a full beard and/or mustache. He has a previous neck injury as well as a burn scar on his right knee.

Details of Disappearance​

Clarke joined the L'Abri Christian Fellowship of England sometime during 1982. He became estranged from his family members and several friends shortly thereafter.

Clarke's parents last saw him in January 1982, when he was treated for fatigue by a physician in North Carolina. Clarke contacted his parents for the final time one year later in January 1983, shortly after his father's election to Congress.

Authorities believe that Clarke may have boarded a plane in early December 1983 at the request of the L'Abri Christian Fellowship of England. He possibly flew to either Baltimore, Maryland or to Washington, D.C. Clarke apparently traveled afterwards to Asheville, North Carolina via bus, where he stayed in a motel on December 24, 1983.

Clarke then rented a car and drove to Tuckasegee, North Carolina with an unidentified female friend known only as Millie. Clarke drove Millie to Atlanta, Georgia and dropped her off in the city. He then continued driving alone to Columbia, South Carolina, where he visited a friend for three days. He returned to Tuckasegee, North Carolina after that visit.

Several of Clarke's friends told authorities that he did not want his family to know he was in North Carolina, nor did Clarke wish to communicate with them. He did not possess any credit cards at the time of his 1983 disappearance and paid for all purchases with cash.

Clarke has not been heard from since this time. His whereabouts are unknown.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zen1974
Back