NY - 4-year-old survives 11-story fall

cathieq

Reaction score
ALBANY, N.Y. — A 4-year-old boy survived a fall from an 11-story window Friday after being left alone at home, bouncing off a metal awning into a concrete courtyard and then trying to stand up, officials said. He was able to chat with doctors.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/nation/4032940.html

I posted this article here since his mom has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child.

Bless his little heart. amazing he survived.

useless, wretched mother! :furious:

Who in the world would leave a 4 year old alone......
Another person that shouldn't have kids.......:furious:

The 21 year old mother works as a receptionist at the same unit in the hospital where her son is now being cared for!

WHY on earth was a 4 year old home alone???????? This could just as easily have happened if an adult was there, but the fact that this FOUR YEAR OLD CHILD was alone makes my blood boil! Lock that mother up~! :behindbar :behindbar

I was not surprised that she was charged with endangering a child, but the protective order keeping her away from him surprises me. That's unusual in cases where a child has been left home alone, isn't it?

I don't know if it's unusual, but I find it highly appropriate.

This is nothing short of a miracle! 11 stories and his guardian angel caught him 12 feet from the ground! My goodness.....so glad he is going to be OK.

As for the mom, the article mentioned that she had stated he was left with a sitter...I wonder if he was...the article didn't state if that was found to be untrue... :waitasec: If not and she just left him alone, well the, imo, she needs to have her head examined and then some...

poor little boy.

a girlfriend of mine left her 3 kids (3, 5 and 7) in the care of a sweet lady neighbor, a grama type, while she worked. she came home sick about 45 minutes early one night, (about 11 at night) and found the children alone playing in the living room. while she fumed, and got the babies to bed, in comes the nice lady, from her house. she had left the younguns alone watching tv, hours before, and gone home, 2 doors down.

we are pretty sure she had been doing this all along, and coming back to kim's just before she got home.

i kept the kids for a couple months till she found a good babysitter.

stuff like that happens.

When my boys were four and six I left them with a licensed sitter while I worked. One absolutely frigid day in January I found them sitting on the front porch shivering and locked out of the house...not another soul to be found anyplace. They had no idea how long they'd been out there alone but it had to be a long while, they were icicles.

The next sitter, who came highly recommended, locked the boys her dark, dog poop filled basement for long periods of the day and never fed them anything but dry Cheerios for lunch. After learning this, I quit my job and stayed home.

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) Elizabeth Burciaga left her sleeping 4-year-old son alone before dawn on Friday because she was afraid her boyfriend was with another woman, according to a statement she gave police...

...In her statement, Burciaga said she invited her boyfriend to her apartment at about 3 a.m. Friday night, but he said he was celebrating his birthday with friends at his Hawk Street home. So he invited her, instead, to join him. She said she couldn't because of her son.
"Then (he) told me to just stay home," Burciaga told Albany police Detective Arthur Shade in the two-page document. "But I heard a girl in the background. ... I called him back and said I had a baby sitter. ... But I lied to him. I told him I had a baby sitter so I could see him..."

http://tinyurl.com/zxn5b

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=498146&category=REGION&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=7/9/2006&TextPage=1

This is the same URL as above. From the article:

The child remains in serious condition with head and internal injuries and possible brain damage, officials said Saturday. But he is alive, said District Attorney David Soares: "His name, on the street, should be 'Lucky.' "

Soares said he hopes to pursue felony charges in the case.

The child's biological father, Hasiem Townsend Sr., 22, is serving up to four years in prison, he said. Burciaga is a receptionist at Albany Medical Center by day and a stripper by night, he said. "We are combing the books to make the case for reckless endangerment," Soares said.
*Snip*
"My son would stand on the bed and look out the window before this, but I was always there and I would tell him not to do it if I wasn't there," she said. "I asked Hasiem in the hospital, 'Why did you look out the window?' and he said because he was looking for mommy."

This woman left her 4 year old home alone in the wee hours of the morning so she could go check and see if her boyfriend was cheating on her?????? Are you KIDDING ME???? This story just got SO much worse. She lied about having a sitter. I wonder who watched him while she worked during the day as a receptionist, and late at night as a stripper?

Does she get to keep custody of the child? The judge rejected the restraining order keeping her away from her son. She has no where to live now because she was renting the place illegally, and her little boy is in the hospital with broken limbs and possible brain damage. All because she was worried about some boyfriend cheating on her. It makes me sick. :sick:
LOCK HER UP! :behindbar

mssheila said:
*Snip*
"I asked Hasiem in the hospital, 'Why did you look out the window?' and he said because he was looking for mommy."
That part just breaks my heart...poor little guy...he was probably scared...
All of this over a guy????:slap: Locking her up is just not good enough! What a dumba$$!
I wish they would soon start requiring a license to have children...:furious:

Pharlap said:
Who in the world would leave a 4 year old alone......
Another person that shouldn't have kids.......:furious:
I was home alone from the time I was able to microwave a bowl of spaghettios at almost 4 years old. This was obviously a long time ago (I'm 38) and Mom was a single Mom needing to work and couldn't afford a sitter. I put my fist through a glass window 2 stories up, stepped on a needle in the sewing room and put it in my foot, I got all the bottles of liquor down and lined a room with them as part of a scene from a play I was making up (and I drank gin and pepsi that day until I fell asleep) I fell from a 30 foot tree and landed on plywood so I was okay, and met up with an unsavory character that I talked out of hurting me. As I got older, I caught poisonous snakes, shot bbguns at my friends in bbgun wars, I got stuck in a mud bog that I thought was quicksand, and my brother fell from a huge tree onto a chain link fence and I called the ambulance. The note I left for my Mom? "Robbie went to the hospital in an ambulance. I'm out riding my bike."

Mom still has that note. She didn't get it until she got home that night.

My kid still isn't left alone, and she is 14. It's just not safe and I was lucky.

GlitchWizard said:
I got all the bottles of liquor down and lined a room with them as part of a scene from a play I was making up (and I drank gin and pepsi that day until I fell asleep) I fell from a 30 foot tree and landed on plywood so I was okay.. (snipped)
Well, don't that 'splain a lot. :D ;)

GlitchWizard said:
I was home alone from the time I was able to microwave a bowl of spaghettios at almost 4 years old. This was obviously a long time ago (I'm 38) and Mom was a single Mom needing to work and couldn't afford a sitter. I put my fist through a glass window 2 stories up, stepped on a needle in the sewing room and put it in my foot, I got all the bottles of liquor down and lined a room with them as part of a scene from a play I was making up (and I drank gin and pepsi that day until I fell asleep) I fell from a 30 foot tree and landed on plywood so I was okay, and met up with an unsavory character that I talked out of hurting me. As I got older, I caught poisonous snakes, shot bbguns at my friends in bbgun wars, I got stuck in a mud bog that I thought was quicksand, and my brother fell from a huge tree onto a chain link fence and I called the ambulance. The note I left for my Mom? "Robbie went to the hospital in an ambulance. I'm out riding my bike."

Mom still has that note. She didn't get it until she got home that night.

My kid still isn't left alone, and she is 14. It's just not safe and I was lucky.
Your so lucky to be alive......:blowkiss:

SewingDeb said:
I was not surprised that she was charged with endangering a child, but the protective order keeping her away from him surprises me. That's unusual in cases where a child has been left home alone, isn't it?

I'm not sure. It seems like they either over react or don't react enough though, doesn't it?

I cannot get ove the fact that anyone would leave a four-year old alone anywhere.

I can't understand how this particular woman could possibly justify in her mind that it was okay to leave her son home alone in this situation. I agree that she is a complete dumba$$ and had absolutely no justification for doing what she did.

These days we all get outraged (rightfully so) when we hear stories about young children being left home alone. In earlier years, this was the norm for poorer families when mom worked too. My MIL was routinely left home alone and with older siblings from the age of three or four. She thinks maybe even younger. She was the child of factory workers who pretty much just eked out a living. Birth control was non-existent in those days and so was daycare. My MIL’s oldest sibling was only eleven when she was born. Obviously not old enough to take care of an infant, but I’m sure she did it. I wonder what happened to the little ones when the older ones were at school. My MIL remembers spending very long periods of time alone and walking all over the neighborhood and basically just running wild at a very early age.

Even today, I think we'd all be surprised to find out how many mariginally aged children are left home alone or supervised by teens and pre-teens so that mom can work or go out. Not every one gets the amount and type of quality child care that they need or want. I do have sympathy for people who are caught in the trap of needing to work and having less than adequate daycare. There’s a lady in my hometown (a pretty affluent town) who’s divorced with four kids. I stopped by to pick up one of them for a movie date with my son and I was shocked to see a teenage boy taking care of the three little ones all day. The youngest one was walking around in a large soggy diaper, whining and looking needy, the two middle ones were fighting and the teenage babysitting son was watching TV in the middle of a mess.

I think leaving young children at home alone or under the supervision of pre-teens or (even teens, in many cases), is a horrible idea and should be punishable. The law around here is that kids may be left home alone at 12 years old. I don't know how old they have to be to legally babysit. I personally don't leave my kids with any one under the age of 21 and in almost all cases use much older family members for babysitting duty. I have a 13 year old that I will occasionally allow to be home alone while I run short in-town errands, but I would never leave him alone for prolonged periods of time, like during a workday. That’s why I work from home. I don’t make as much money, but I just can’t see leaving my 13 year old home alone all summer, on school holidays and after school. The younger ones could go to daycare, but they don’t take kids over 12.

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm not sure. It seems like they either over react or don't react enough though, doesn't it?

I cannot get ove the fact that anyone would leave a four-year old alone anywhere.

It may be that they did not want her to talk to the boy and get him to go along with the babysitter story. The judge has rejected the order now.

I think it should be a felony to leave a child that young alone even for 10 minutes. I'm wondering if she ever had a babysitter. She worked all day and at night.

TROY -- A 2-year-old girl suffered minor injuries after she fell from a third-floor window of a Brunswick Road home Tuesday morning, days after a 4-year-old boy in Albany survived an 11-story fall...

The girl opened a locked window in a bedroom in the rear of the home, crawled out onto a roof and then fell 24 feet onto a patch of dirt in the back yard, according to Troy police Sgt. John Cooney. Police investigated the incident and determined there was no negligence on the part of the child's mother, who left the girl alone briefly in order to go to the bathroom. Officials did not release the name of the child or her mother...

Same Article
On Tuesday, Townsend was in fair condition, an upgrade from his previous status, according to Albany Med officials. He suffered unspecified brain and internal injuries after bouncing off of a metal roof about 10 feet off the ground. His mother was charged Saturday with a misdemeanor count of endangering the welfare of a child.
http://tinyurl.com/rvetk

Misdemeanor? Wonder what would constitute a felony charge? If leaving this child alone to check up on her boyfriend (a really sane reason?) is not that serious...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back