CONVICTION OVERTURNED KS - Jewell Morse, 8, dies in house fire, Kansas City, 2 July 2006

In Florida, you can get the Death Sentence, even if it's an accidental death. I don't agree with that reasoning at all.

There should be room for such a thing as "accident" in my opinion. Not every death needs someone to be punished for it.

hmmm, wonder what the circumstances around this were....Was he intentionally shooting them at the house? When it caught fire did he go back into his house and not report it? If he had reported it could she have been saved??? There is probably more to this than we know.

To me this is no different than charging someone who drinks and drives with a murder charge. I would think that a 41 year old man should understand the risks of shooting fireworks toward someone elses property. His reckless behavior killed a little girl. I hope he gets life.

They are finally begiinning to file second degree murder charges against those who have already had DUIs, who get drunk again, and drive, resulting in others dying, through an accident they caused.

That's the way it should be. It isn't just an accident at that point, and a felony manslaughter charge doesn't cover the damage they caused to others.

They recently showed a case on TV where a (had previous DUIs) guy was given 17 years to life (2nd degree mureder sentence), for causing an accident that killed a father and daughter (who was a mother with three children).

He deserved it.

I think this guy does too. I'll bet he already has an extensive record. I'll bet that plays a large part in the murder charge being filed in this case.

I agree when it comes to drunk driving.

Having recently had some friends shoot off lots of fireworks in my yard, however, I believe if it had burned my house down, it would have been an accident. Nothing more.

GlitchWizard said:
In Florida, you can get the Death Sentence, even if it's an accidental death. I don't agree with that reasoning at all.

There should be room for such a thing as "accident" in my opinion. Not every death needs someone to be punished for it.

Are you sure that in Florida the death sentence can result from a felony murder charge"? Would you happen to have a link?

Whatch were you aim those fireworks down there Glitch. :p

Wudge said:
Are you sure that in Florida the death sentence can result from a felony murder charge"? Would you happen to have a link?
I don't have a link, but I have about 600 pages of letters from death row inmate pen pals. I got it from there. :)

GlitchWizard said:
I don't have a link, but I have about 600 pages of letters from death row inmate pen pals. I got it from there. :)

I have to doubt your sources. Though intent is not required to obtain a conviction (up to a life sentence) for a felony murder charge, I know of no state where the death penalty can be imposed absent intent.

From July 2012:

http://kcur.org/post/childs-fireworks-death-leaves-lesson-vulnerability

A neighbor was charged with murder and arson. Karl Bowlin was sentenced to 5 years for involuntary manslaughter.

A review today of a Kansas Court of Appeals transcript tells the rest. Bowlin's trial lawyer never protested police questioning after Bowlin asked for a lawyer and didn't get one. Neither did the attorney protest what the appellate court found to be prejudicial comments by a preliminary-hearing judge. Nor were any defense witnesses presented at the bench trial.

Bowlin, 41 years old at the time, was set free after serving most of his time, and never retried.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ks-court-of-appeals/1520600.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back