Identified! KY - Gray, WhtFem 192UFKY, 24-35, In Refrigerator, Apr'85 - Epsy Regina Black-Pilgrim

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/192ufky.html

Unidentified White Female
  • Located on April 1, 1985 in Gray, Knox County, Kentucky.
  • The victim was asphyxiated.
  • She is estimated to have been deceased for approximately one day

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 24 - 35 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 4'11"; 100 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Red hair; hazel eyes. The front part of her hair was auburn colored, while the back was nearly brunette. She had freckles. She had a small abrasion on the left side of the lower lip. Marks on the abdomen indicated she had given birth at one time. She had a scar on the abdomen. Birthmark above and behind left ankle. Moles on right side of neck & under each breast.
  • Dentals: Available. Upper front tooth chipped and discolored.
  • Clothing: The victim was clad only in soiled short white socks, two on each foot. One white pair and one pair white with green and yellow stripes. She wore two necklaces, one with a pendant of a gold eagle with spread wings and the other with a heartshaped pendant.
Case History
The victim was found in a discarded refrigerator just off U.S. 25E near the entrance to Gray, Kentucky. The woman was asphyxiated but there were no marks indicating strangulation at the throat, nor were there broken blood vessels found in the nose to suggest to doctors that a pillow had been put over her head. The refrigerator was an old, white Admiral model with a decal on the front door saying "Super Woman".
There were some indications that she may have come to the area from out of state. Some reports had it that she had been asking for a ride to North Carolina over a CB radio, possibly from the Pinville area.

Another case not too far from my house. This one is literally only 45 minutes from where I am sitting now. However, the North Carolina thing throws me. If she was wanting to head to North Carolina and had been calling from Pineville (about 20 miles to the Southeast of where she was found) she would have been heading in the wrong direction. It would have been easier to go to Cumberland Gap in Middlesboro and through Tennesse down Highway 68 (maybe 58) through to I-640 in Knoxville. That is also a common route for truck drivers wanting to beat the scales on I75 just down from the offramp. She must have been trying to get there for some reason and didn't know exactly where she was or where she was going.

The area she was dumped is actually on an intersection with Highway 25 East, one of the major highways in our area. On one side used to be something like a car lot or similar, and the other side (accross the side street where the body was found) is an all-night gas station/convenience store. There is also a small golf course near where she was found. The area is heavily wooded, and has been used as a dump by the people of Gray for years as a place to discard unwanted or broken appliances for years. If you go down on that road, it is pretty easy to get into it by foot and no one would see you, but if you just dumped out a refridgerator from the top of the hill it would be notices pretty quickly.

Another case not too far from my house. This one is literally only 45 minutes from where I am sitting now. However, the North Carolina thing throws me. If she was wanting to head to North Carolina and had been calling from Pineville (about 20 miles to the Southeast of where she was found) she would have been heading in the wrong direction. It would have been easier to go to Cumberland Gap in Middlesboro and through Tennesse down Highway 68 (maybe 58) through to I-640 in Knoxville. That is also a common route for truck drivers wanting to beat the scales on I75 just down from the offramp. She must have been trying to get there for some reason and didn't know exactly where she was or where she was going.

The area she was dumped is actually on an intersection with Highway 25 East, one of the major highways in our area. On one side used to be something like a car lot or similar, and the other side (accross the side street where the body was found) is an all-night gas station/convenience store. There is also a small golf course near where she was found. The area is heavily wooded, and has been used as a dump by the people of Gray for years as a place to discard unwanted or broken appliances for years. If you go down on that road, it is pretty easy to get into it by foot and no one would see you, but if you just dumped out a refridgerator from the top of the hill it would be notices pretty quickly.
So the refrigerator her body was found in is probably not a clue to her identity then. That's sure good info to know, otherwise, I'd be trying to tie the refrigerator to her killer. Thanks kygal!!!!

Cause of death is asphyxiation without strangulation marks... does that mean she was placed in the fridge while still alive and suffocated? Many old refrigerators could not be opened from the inside. I guess there is also the very remote possibility that she locked herself in there, perhaps trying to hide from a pursuer.

It would make sense she was either placed in there or stuffed in there. Could she have been unconcious when she was place in there? She didn't have any clothes on, which wouldn't make sense to be running around. If she were running, she could have made it to the gas station at the top of the hill in less that 30 seconds in a good run. Seriously, it isn't that far to the top to the bottom of the hill on the road. However, she could have been cornered against the hill and it is steep.

I am meaning to get to the library and look into the archives of the local newspapers in the area, since the archives of the news around here are not searchable that far back... If I get a chance in a few days I will tell you what I find.

Just looked on Doe (like nearly everyone else) and the dentals have been changed. The front tooth is NOT chipped, but discolored. Don't know if that will help, but surely it does open up a few new ideas out there.

Have you had a chance to search local archives yet?

I have searched the archives of a couple of newspapers around here, but they only mention that she was found, and a description. That's it. I have a friend that is a news anchor at a local station, and I emailed her to see if she can locate anything for me. As of yet, she has not gotten back to me but she also told me it may take a little bit of time for her to do it.

I just wanted to bump this, because I found that the NAMUS database has a postmortem of this Jane Doe on it's site. I noticed that at least in the face she looks MUCH heavier than the composite. I thought something didn't look right with the pictures of the necklaces, as it looked like whoever was wearing it had a double chin. But when I saw that pic, I knew that it was here wearing them and she did have a double chin.

My friend has not found anything. I've not been into one of the larger libraries in the area for quite a while, but I have been looking.

I just ran across this MP in the Charley updates and I thought I had found the Kentucky refrigerator lady. Obviously because of the Date of Last Contact, dentals, and facial blemishes, it's definitely not her. But I am putting this up just to illustrate how we can be fooled by an uncanny facial resemblance.

Look at Joyce's third photo from the left in this Charley profile and tell me that she isn't this UID's twin. They are even both from Kentucky.

Joyce Gaines Crider

crider_joyce3.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/crider_joyce.html

UID - WARNING POSTMORTEM PHOTO AT LINK
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...em Photos/2774042190045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

The area where the unid female victim was found off of US 25E in Gray is several miles away from Corbin and Interstate 75. The Corbin-Gray area isn't far from Tennessee and Virginia.

Depending on which highways one takes and where one is going to in North Carolina, it can easily be a three or four hour drive from the Corbin-Gray area to North Carolina.

I believe that the unid female victim was killed elsewhere and her body was dumped off of US 25E. It is possible that her killer could be a trucker.

I was looking at the Doe Network case file on this unid female victim that was found in Gray, Kentucky. What caught my attention was the notation that fingerprints not available.

Now does this mean that the unid female victim doesn't have an arrest record somewhere?

If the unid female victim was only dead for 1 to 4 days, then surely LE would be able to get a good set of prints from the victim.

I also wonder if there were any tox screens done on the unid female victim.

(I meant to quote tatertot regarding Martha McNeil)

Martha McNeil's report is lacking some information unfortunately, while other info is perhaps inconsistent with the UID (blue eyes and the location of the lip scar), however what I find interesting is that she is from North Carolina (note the CB conversation) and fits the physical description of the UID. I'm having a hard time getting a good angle to line up the photos....

What do you folks think?

Martha- http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2696dfnc.html

UID is listed in Namus- https://identifyus.org/cases/82

in the autopsy photo on her left arm is that a polio shot mark? quite a few in my family have them and it looks identical to that?

2774042190045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

(I meant to quote tatertot regarding Martha McNeil)

Martha McNeil's report is lacking some information unfortunately, while other info is perhaps inconsistent with the UID (blue eyes and the location of the lip scar), however what I find interesting is that she is from North Carolina (note the CB conversation) and fits the physical description of the UID. I'm having a hard time getting a good angle to line up the photos....

What do you folks think?

Martha- http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2696dfnc.html

UID is listed in Namus- https://identifyus.org/cases/82

I think that Martha resembles the UID, but Martha is said to have Blonde hair and Blue eyes, the UID has Red hair and hazel eyes... Height and weight are close though.

Nose, eyebrows, and cheekbones all look off to me, but not by a lot. No indication whether McNeil ever had children.

Nose, eyebrows, and cheekbones all look off to me, but not by a lot. No indication whether McNeil ever had children.

That is exactly what I thought. Plus the hair and eye color discrepency....however in regards to hair, when I HAD hair, mine would take on a chameleon like characteristic and quickly change shades depending on how much sun I was exposed to; that might be plausable in Martha's case as her hair doesn't look blond to me in her photo....maybe strawberry blond.

The angle of the post mortem shot posted by Carl K to compare to Martha has been difficult for me accomplish.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McKeith
Back