1179 users online (243 members and 936 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 169
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    4,837
    With regard to the necklaces...the photo of Melody appears to be one that was taken in a formal setting, as in she was dressed up for maybe a dance or wedding. In that case, I would not find it unusual that she would wear a more formal necklace with her attire than those found on the UID. Is the necklace that she is wearing in the photo definitely one what she was wearing when she disappeared? Many women have lots of necklaces and change them out depending on what they are wearing, so I would not ruler her out, solely based on the necklaces not matching. As far as I can tell from the available photo, the necklace appears to be a chain with possibly a set row of ornamentation in the middle. I have a similar necklace that I wear for formal occassions, but wear a very dissimilar one for everyday wear.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,859
    Quote Originally Posted by hollye View Post
    With regard to the necklaces...the photo of Melody appears to be one that was taken in a formal setting, as in she was dressed up for maybe a dance or wedding. In that case, I would not find it unusual that she would wear a more formal necklace with her attire than those found on the UID. Is the necklace that she is wearing in the photo definitely one what she was wearing when she disappeared? Many women have lots of necklaces and change them out depending on what they are wearing, so I would not ruler her out, solely based on the necklaces not matching. As far as I can tell from the available photo, the necklace appears to be a chain with possibly a set row of ornamentation in the middle. I have a similar necklace that I wear for formal occassions, but wear a very dissimilar one for everyday wear.
    I agree totally. I was just responding to the speculation that they might be the same necklace. It's not much of a negative if they are not the same necklace, but it's not the huge positive that it would be if the necklaces were identical.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,846
    Quote Originally Posted by masnitram View Post
    How about Marcy Jo Andrews? I wish I could find a color photo for comparison; there is very little information about Marcy...however the strange circumtances and the claim that she was held captive (no indication for how long) are intriguing.

    I'm at work so I am pressed for time and unable to dig further for more on Marcy. I came across her last night and came back to her today and figured it was worth a shot.

    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ews_marcy.html
    I'm familiar with the immediate area Marcy went missing- though not recently. Looking at this location, 2500 W Iowa St, Chicago and Knox Cty KY where the Jane doe was found would not make sense to me as a dumping ground for the perp (who was charged with her murder). He would have had to drive several states away and clear through rural Indiana to dump her in KY. I think it is more likely Marcy was disposed of somewhere in the Chicago area.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Phoenix ,AZ
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I'm familiar with the immediate area Marcy went missing- though not recently. Looking at this location, 2500 W Iowa St, Chicago and Knox Cty KY where the Jane doe was found would not make sense to me as a dumping ground for the perp (who was charged with her murder). He would have had to drive several states away and clear through rural Indiana to dump her in KY. I think it is more likely Marcy was disposed of somewhere in the Chicago area.

    You're right; that would be quite the haul. Hopefully Nowicki will eventually reveal the location of Marcy. I haven't been able to find out if he is in anyway connected to Kentucky via family etc...or if any of his known associates (with KY ties) may have helped him dispose of her.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,846
    Quote Originally Posted by masnitram View Post
    You're right; that would be quite the haul. Hopefully Nowicki will eventually reveal the location of Marcy. I haven't been able to find out if he is in anyway connected to Kentucky via family etc...or if any of his known associates (with KY ties) may have helped him dispose of her.

    Further reading at the Charley Project link indicates he or his family had a farm in Pulaski Cty, IN - which is still closer to the NW area of IN. If he had her in the apartment for days and there were witnesses putting Marcy there for days, when he disposed of her he likely did so not far from the apartment.

    From what I recall of the immediate area it is not too far from really bad neighborhoods and what was then a lot of abandoned buildings. I remember taking the Western Ave. exit from the Eisenhauer to Chicago avenue and that was pretty scary (when I was old enough to realize how bad of a neighborhood that route was I used to pray we'd get to and from our destination off the expressway without being shot).... Also, the projects were only 10 min or so from where Marcy went missing.... So many abandoned buildings around there she could have been disposed of there..... or taken to the lake or the Chicago river... lots and lots of places in the immediate area imo.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    432
    I did not submit the case based on the necklace and never would. Neither would I base a submission on a similiarlly placed mole or skin lesion. I just look at what is with or described as part of the victim and his/her property and consider that while searching for a physical match.

    I received information from my email yesterday that copies of all material from the coroner's office was sent to LE because the anthropologist determined this was a recognizable face and the dentals and face are the first stage. If family says it is not her, that does not mean they will not do DNA testing. So, again I guess it is always down to science.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    4,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    I did not submit the case based on the necklace and never would. Neither would I base a submission on a similiarlly placed mole or skin lesion. I just look at what is with or described as part of the victim and his/her property and consider that while searching for a physical match.

    I received information from my email yesterday that copies of all material from the coroner's office was sent to LE because the anthropologist determined this was a recognizable face and the dentals and face are the first stage. If family says it is not her, that does not mean they will not do DNA testing. So, again I guess it is always down to science.
    For what it is worth, I agree with you that this could possibly be Melody. I definitely see a resemblance. I hope they get back to you.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Phoenix ,AZ
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Further reading at the Charley Project link indicates he or his family had a farm in Pulaski Cty, IN - which is still closer to the NW area of IN. If he had her in the apartment for days and there were witnesses putting Marcy there for days, when he disposed of her he likely did so not far from the apartment.

    From what I recall of the immediate area it is not too far from really bad neighborhoods and what was then a lot of abandoned buildings. I remember taking the Western Ave. exit from the Eisenhauer to Chicago avenue and that was pretty scary (when I was old enough to realize how bad of a neighborhood that route was I used to pray we'd get to and from our destination off the expressway without being shot).... Also, the projects were only 10 min or so from where Marcy went missing.... So many abandoned buildings around there she could have been disposed of there..... or taken to the lake or the Chicago river... lots and lots of places in the immediate area imo.
    Very true; and considering the amount of renovating being done over the past decade (removal of Cabrini Green as an example) it would be quite easy to even unknowingly move a body/disturb a crime scene.

    I used to work and live on the WI/IL border and I often forget about the Lake County Forest Preserve, the Chain of Lakes, and the overall abundance of wetlands between north Chicago and Pleasant Prairie. Even from Midway, you're not all that far from some pretty remote areas....

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    it is unclear about the status of any submission of Melody Ann Jones to the UID who is the subject of this thread.

    Melody's name has not been added to the rule-out list at Namus.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fairfield, Nelson Co, Ky USA
    Posts
    1,087
    I have family ties in Loyall (very close to Harlan). My grandfather was a Creech, of which there are seemingly billions of in the Harlan area.
    Gray is along the "main-road" from I-75 to Harlan, so I've driven through there on the way to Harlan. It is now (though not in 1985) on the "old road" segment of 25E. So I am not sure of the trip there/back from I-75 (London/Corbin exit) back then, even though I went by there as a small child. It is basically a straight-shot on the new road.
    If there is indeed a killer targeting women with red hair, she is definitely a no-brainer as a victim.
    Does anyone have any updates on the "red-head murders?" I know that several unidentified bodies were found along I-75 in Campbell County TN (just south of the KY border).


  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fairfield, Nelson Co, Ky USA
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by nerosleuth View Post
    I believe that the unid female victim was killed elsewhere and her body was dumped off of US 25E. It is possible that her killer could be a trucker.

    She was killed at the scene. She was asphyxiated and "fresh" (the UID photos look like she could just be passed out) with no signs of strangulation. She was apparently shut into the fridge. She likely died due to suffocation from being shut in the fridge.

    I read this and will find the link. Running late for work so in a rush.


    *Just saw that it says it in her Doe file.
    Last edited by bflocket; 08-05-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add reference

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fairfield, Nelson Co, Ky USA
    Posts
    1,087
    I have also read, long ago, a story where truckers were describing this girl and her using a CB. I tried looking for it not too long ago and couldn't find it.

    Once something's no longer on a website, it is VERY hard to find it. Even if you have a subscription to a site, some stories seem to disappear sometimes.

    It frustrates me that, on many threads, there are links to stories that are no longer available. I can't really understand from the rules... but would copy/paste-ing stories be some copyright problem? Putting a small "summary" is OK if the link works, but it's kind of an upsetting tease if the link dies.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,859
    Quote Originally Posted by bflocket View Post
    It frustrates me that, on many threads, there are links to stories that are no longer available. I can't really understand from the rules... but would copy/paste-ing stories be some copyright problem? Putting a small "summary" is OK if the link works, but it's kind of an upsetting tease if the link dies.
    It is a copyright issue. Websleuths rules state that we must copy no more than 10% of an article, although that's quite difficult if the article is very brief.

    NEW Copyright - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community


    I know that's a problem when the article goes into the memory hole.
    Last edited by Kimster; 02-07-2015 at 04:10 AM. Reason: repaired html

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fairfield, Nelson Co, Ky USA
    Posts
    1,087
    Here's a PDF link to a newsletter-style document.
    http://docjt.jus.state.ky.us/Magazin...20Winter08.pdf

    I doesn't have any critical new information on "Superwoman," but is an interesting read. "Superwoman" is how I remember them (the old websites I am trying to find, if still around) referring doe many times because of the sticker on the fridge.

    It also details a few other stories dealing with the missing in Kentucky. I love looking at maps in .pdf, but am not too keen on viewing written stories and the like. It's annoying and hard for me to keep track of the story.
    Anyway, the part about "Superwoman" is on the 6th page.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fairfield, Nelson Co, Ky USA
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    It is a copyright issue. Websleuths rules state that we must copy no more than 10% of an article, although that's quite difficult if the article is very brief.

    NEW Copyright - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community


    I know that's a problem when the article goes into the memory hole.
    I've tried the Wayback Machine (http://wayback.archive.org/web/) and it works for some dead pages and not for some. I guess it just depends on whether someone cared to archive them.
    I am fairly adept at using the 'net, but don't know the lingo dealing with it. Wikipedia gives three links, the other two being some kind of variant but don't understand what it means. They are at the very end of article in "external links" part.
    Wayback Machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia@@AMEPARAM@@/wiki/File:W...chine_logo.png" class="image"><img alt="" src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6e/Wayback_Machine_logo.png/203px-Wayback_Machine_logo.png"@@AMEPARAM@@en/thumb/6/6e/Wayback_Machine_logo.png/203px-Wayback_Machine_logo.png
    Last edited by Kimster; 02-07-2015 at 04:11 AM. Reason: repaired html

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 89
    Last Post: 11-04-2017, 05:14 PM
  2. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 03:48 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2016, 12:48 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 04:21 PM

Tags for this Thread