Identified! NV - Nye Co, Beatty, WhtMale 40-55, UP14934, gold chain w/ '$1.98' pendant, Florsheim shoes, Oct'80 - Albert Matas

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/561umnv.html

Unidentified White Male

• The victim was discovered on October 22, 1980 in Nye County, Nevada
  • Cause of Death: Four gun shot wounds, two to either side of the head; .22 caliber type weapon.

Vital Statistics

• Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4" - 5'6"; 140-150 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair.
  • Clothing: The victim was found dressed in a green and white floral type shirt, green slacks, brown Florsheim shoes size 7D, brown socks.
  • Jewelry: A gold chain with a medallion inscribed with $1.98. The necklace and medallion were taken to numerous jewelers without success in identifying the person who made the medallion. The value of the medallion and necklace were estimated between $400.00 and $700.00. The medallion appeared to be a custom piece of jewelry made with poor to medium quality craftmanship. During this time frame, Rip Taylor hosted a game show titled the "$1.98 Beauty Contest". Efforts to link the homicide to the game show have been unsuccessful.
  • Fingerprints: Available

Case History
On October 22, 1980, the decomposed remains of a white male adult homicide victim were discovered in an area approximately one hour north of Las Vegas, 9/10 of a mile east of Highway 95 on a dirt road 60 mile south of Tonopah, near Beatty.
As part of the original investigation, the necklace and medallion were taken to numerous jewelers without success in identifying the person who made the medallion.
In 1981, Chuck Barris Productions, who produced the $1.98 Beauty Contest was contacted. The necklace was not recognized and investigators were referred to Milt Suchin who was the agent for Rip Taylor. Rip Taylor hosted the $1.98 Beauty Contest show. Milt Suchin stated that there was no promotional materials given away as part of the show which would resemble the medallion. Suchin referred investigatos to Taylor.
Investigators met with Rip Taylor who was performing at the Las Vegas Flamingo Hilton. Taylor stated he had not seen the medallion prior to this night. No promotional materials were given away resembling this medallion. Taylor does not recall anyone else giving away promotional materials such as the medallion, e.g., Chuck Barris Productions, Milt Suchin. Taylor stated that he does not know of anyone who would have been into making jewelry, such as the medallion, to say that someone associated with the show may have been an amateur jeweler.
The Jeweler's Security Alliance is a non-profit organization working in the crime prevention filed with jewelers throughout the nation. This organization has agreed to publish a photograph of the necklace in their monthly newsletter and to attempt to get national trade magazines such as Modern Jeweler and National Jeweler to also publish this case. No leads were generated as a result of these efforts.
The case was submitted to the FBI Intel Unit based in Las Vegas to determine if there might have been ties to organized crime. The inquiry met with negative results.

Clark County Coroner

Photo from the link;
561UMNV_medallion.jpg

Case History
On October 22, 1980, the decomposed remains of a white male adult homicide victim were discovered in an area approximately one hour north of Las Vegas, 9/10 of a mile east of Highway 95 on a dirt road 60 mile south of Tonopah, near Beatty.
As part of the original investigation, the necklace and medallion were taken to numerous jewelers without success in identifying the person who made the medallion.
In 1981, Chuck Barris Productions, who produced the $1.98 Beauty Contest was contacted. The necklace was not recognized and investigators were referred to Milt Suchin who was the agent for Rip Taylor. Rip Taylor hosted the $1.98 Beauty Contest show. Milt Suchin stated that there was no promotional materials given away as part of the show which would resemble the medallion. Suchin referred investigatos to Taylor.
Investigators met with Rip Taylor who was performing at the Las Vegas Flamingo Hilton. Taylor stated he had not seen the medallion prior to this night. No promotional materials were given away resembling this medallion

More at link.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

could she have had the thing made up at a jeweler

Deacon John had a song named A Dollar Ninety Eight. It was on a Louisiana Rock, Soul, R & B album. I am not sure when it was first released, but the album was for 1965-1970.

http://www.tuffcity.com/html/NewOrl...ist=New+Orleans+R+and+B&ReleaseAlbumList=5462

Here is more information on the CD:
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx...ve+Love:+the+Best+Of+Chase+Records,+Vol.2.htm

I found an article of a missing man that LE believes was murdered (but is still missing) in the same time frame and along the same stretch of highway. His name was Gabriel Vincent. I couldn't find much more on him tho.
http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightUSA/index.php?showtopic=8202

Several things I am wondering about. Was this actually gold and how big was the medallion? It doesn't look like it was meant to be on a chain Could it have been a belt buckle at one time? I also wonder if it could have been bought at a truck stop or in Mexico. This man was very small and appeared to be dressed nicely at the time of his death. That leads me to think he may have been driven to the area and killed. IF the necklace is gold then they didn't kill him because they were robbing him otherwise one would think they would have taken it. Just some thoughts :cool: [/SIZE]

Back in the 70s, men wore larger chains with large medallion pieces. His clothing would be consistent with this. He probably would have had the shirt unbuttoned a bit, too...showing the medallion. It was the fashion at the time.

I don't see it as a belt buckle at all. It wasn't made by a quality jeweler, as they have already determined, but it looks like it was for a male's necklace. I would believe it was gold or they would not have checked out jewelers.

It sounds to me like he was in Las Vegas, NV and was driven to where he was found. Robbery might have been a motive if he had a lot of cash on him and they didn't want the necklace.

They estimate the value of the necklace at about $700 but they said it was cheaply made. It looks like it is pretty big that's why I wondered about it possibly being a belt buckle but if it was they would have known that when they examined it. I still think it's possible that it came from Mexico. They make cheap jewelry there. I wish there was more information to go on [/SIZE]

Maybe the man WAS from Mexico based on his height 5'4-5'6 and shoe size 7 that is a small frame man. He also had brown hair so maybe the medallion was made in mexico.

I dunno, I couldn't be a theif, I woulda thought it was fake gold.

Looks fake to me too. I can't imagine who would make or wear a $700 charm that had "$1.98" on it????:confused: At least put "$700" on it. LOL

Could he have been in the music industry and been in Vegas for something related to that? A promoter, an agent, a record exec, etc. I think the Deacon John connection should be checked out.

Deacon John had a song named A Dollar Ninety Eight. It was on a Louisiana Rock, Soul, R & B album. I am not sure when it was first released, but the album was for 1965-1970. . .
Good find. (According to the song, a dollar ninety eight was all he could afford for love.- or something like that.) I suppose it could be someone from the New Orleans area or someone that liked the song.

I listened to a sample of the song online and it made me wonder if someone who liked the song or the beauty contest had tried to open an "unauthorized" house of prostitution or gambling. A homicide gunshot to the head is very executionlike. I can see why L.E. asked FBI to look into the possibiility of org. crime ties to the case.

It would make sense, Doc. Org. Crime figures wouldn't take kindly to anyone messing with their "business ventures" in Vegas.

I checked out all the missing I could find from NOLA and didn't run across anyone remotely matching his description.

I would think anyone that paid $400-$700 for that piece of jewelry would have some deep attachment to the $1.98 on it. It is the reason I thought of music.

Phenolred~ They stated he was white, not hispanic, so I don't think he was from Mexico.

OK, I've had at least five windows open this afternoon, paroosing the internet. Found one possible that is kind of interesting, albeit some of the details being off.

I looked up Floorsheim Shoes and they're still in business. All of the shoes on the first search page I hit were over $100. Then there's the clothes he was found wearing--what we'd now call business casual. Nice pants, dress shirt and matching socks. Not a teenager or hitcher---someone with some money. Someone who could afford a trinket that costs that much. Someone in the biz, who would have a connection in the jewelry business that could make such a one of a kind item for him.

I found one guy that matches my theory. He disappeared from Florida on September 5, 1980. This guy had some funds on hand . . . had to. And when you read the details of his disappearance, you bet your bippy he had some people pissed off and looking for him. Check this one out:

Copied from www.charleyproject.org
(Meggily formats better than Doe---but I'll include his Doe link also.)

Bruce Neal Walls
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: September 5, 1980 from West Palm Beach, Florida
Classification: Missing
Date of Birth: November 14, 1950
Height and Weight: 5'8, 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Red/auburn hair, green eyes. Walls may have a beard. He may wear eyeglasses.

Our "$1.98" John Doe was:
Found: October 22, 1980
Height and Weight: 5' 4"-5'6", 145-150 pounds
Brown Hair

Details of Disappearance

Walls was last seen in West Palm Beach, Florida on September 5, 1980. He was carrying a briefcase which is believed to have contained over $100,000 worth of diamonds and other precious stones. He was driving a red or maroon 1980 Mercury Cougar with Florida license plates numbered ZCW 980. Walls had rented the vehicle from a Hertz car rental company. Walls's car was found abandoned on the Florida turnpike the same day he was last seen. There was no sign of foul play at the scene. His case remains unsolved.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/walls_bruce.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1902dmfl.html

What I was thinking of, and I'll admit that I watch too many movies, is that if you have a load of diamonds to sell, how easily can you get rid of them? Not your local pawn shop. You have to go where the money is. Who has the money? Who has already been called under suspicion by LE? Organized crime. Where is organized crime? Vegas, baby.

Now, what's going to happen to a small time hood who tries to make a deal with organized crime? He's going to end up out in the desert with a bullet in his head.

OK, that's my theory. What do ya'll think?

Organized crime is all over in Florida, New Jersey and New York. (I know since I am in New Jersey and New York often and have family there) He wouldn't of had to go that far with diamonds IF he had them and was in Florida. He could have even been a drug dealer himself and a deal went bad. Maybe he owed the "Bookie" since he was found near Vegas :) [/SIZE]

It is interesting, but the height and weight are way off. Wow...5'8" and 115 lbs. He was so SKINNY! He could have turned sideways and they wouldn't have seen him besides the diamond filled suitcase he was toting around!

Where did he get the diamonds, I wonder?!

He might also have been a band member or almost anything with that necklace but I wonder if he would have been dumped in their own back yard by the killers. Seems it might be more well hidden if directly connected to Vegas and was also killed by people from there.

Maybe dumped as a warning to the Vegas people if they had sent him elsewhere in the country where he did not belong.

Or

Maybe dumped as a convenient way to make sure he was not found in the back yards of those that DID kill him. Maybe he was really from the Orleans area.

I wonder if any concerts or other music events from the south had places where that sort of jewelry might have been sold?

If he had the medallion custom made then he was likely connected to the music group in some way or maybe had opened a place of business with that name. It is so blingy as to be overboard for just normal modest style jewelry. Its almost like wearing a superbowl ring or music award medal of some kind or a wearing a prostitution house token medallion.

All I found was the info below.
1.98 royalty
http://www.well.com/user/sjroby/jrstory_fn.html
The song that was made for the show that never was
http://www.echonyc.com/~jhhl/Mp3/dollar98.mp3
http://www.echonyc.com/~jhhl/mp3.html
The plane
http://www.timelessvoices.org/news/voiceoftheweek/040213_henry_johnson.asp

Now, as for my idea about the necklace. I don't think it is a stretch for the necklace to have once belonged to Deacon John or his son (RIP). I was a bondsman (horribly sexist word) for quite a few years and it was in the south. It was a daily thing to see someone called Pastor or Deacon in jail for drugs, pimping, beating their woman, etc. And the chains I saw. I once took one for collateral that weighed more than my briefcase. I thought it was fake, but it was a repeat customer and what the heck. Turned out it was worth 40, 000 back then. And this was from a 'Deacon', with no congregation, no job, so you have to wonder. Anyway, it is quite possible the chain was Deacon John's and he sold it or pawned it years ago and never gave it another thought. We had a safe full of chains and medallions and a bunch of cars left for collateral that simply became ours by default. But that is JMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back