Bloody Knife Outline in Carpet

BrenTex

Former Member
Reaction score
Dani, I hope you will appear and read this sometime soon as it was a post of yours that got me to thinking about that imprint again. But I would like opinions from anyone about this.

I guess since I'm on the side, ( the seemingly lonely side ), here that thinks Darlie didn't do it I am trying to think about the evidence and see whether or not something absolutely could not have happened if she was innocent.

So here goes about the knife. You said in your post and I believe the agent that testified also said the same thing that the knife outline in blood indicated that a person with a bleeding arm was feeding blood onto the knife which was running down to the tip and when the knife was laid on the carpet the blood accumulated at the tip made the peculiar pattern in the carpet. If I have this wrong as to what you believe please correct me. I was picturing that and thinking about it and this is my question.

Do you think it absolutely has to be blood from someone bleeding from an arm injury? It's easy to say that since we all know she did have a bleeding stab to the arm and we know the blood was Darlie's. But do you think there is any possibility whatsoever that the knife could have just been covered with blood and held down alongside a person's legs while they were walking a few steps and perhaps at an angle so that more of the blood would flow to the top of the blade. And that there was enough blood on that blade to cause the blood accumulation at the tip to cause the pattern when the knife was put down on the carpet.
Another thing along these same lines is that fresh blood runs off a knife pretty rapidly and there should be a trail of drops leading up to where the knife was placed on the carpet if the blood was indeed coming from a freely bleeding arm wound. But blood on a knife, even if a lot, wouldn't be what you could consider absolutely fresh and would therefore flow more slowly and could accumulate to make the pattern without any dripping onto the carpet.
I'm just asking for information here from Dani or anyone who knows a lot about this bloody imprint and the surrounding area. Just trying to see what are all the possible scenarios. Don't want to get my head ripped off.

BrenTex said:
Dani, I hope you will appear and read this sometime soon as it was a post of yours that got me to thinking about that imprint again. But I would like opinions from anyone about this.

I guess since I'm on the side, ( the seemingly lonely side ), here that thinks Darlie didn't do it I am trying to think about the evidence and see whether or not something absolutely could not have happened if she was innocent.

So here goes about the knife. You said in your post and I believe the agent that testified also said the same thing that the knife outline in blood indicated that a person with a bleeding arm was feeding blood onto the knife which was running down to the tip and when the knife was laid on the carpet the blood accumulated at the tip made the peculiar pattern in the carpet. If I have this wrong as to what you believe please correct me. I was picturing that and thinking about it and this is my question.

Do you think it absolutely has to be blood from someone bleeding from an arm injury? It's easy to say that since we all know she did have a bleeding stab to the arm and we know the blood was Darlie's. But do you think there is any possibility whatsoever that the knife could have just been covered with blood and held down alongside a person's legs while they were walking a few steps and perhaps at an angle so that more of the blood would flow to the top of the blade. And that there was enough blood on that blade to cause the blood accumulation at the tip to cause the pattern when the knife was put down on the carpet.
Another thing along these same lines is that fresh blood runs off a knife pretty rapidly and there should be a trail of drops leading up to where the knife was placed on the carpet if the blood was indeed coming from a freely bleeding arm wound. But blood on a knife, even if a lot, wouldn't be what you could consider absolutely fresh and would therefore flow more slowly and could accumulate to make the pattern without any dripping onto the carpet.
I'm just asking for information here from Dani or anyone who knows a lot about this bloody imprint and the surrounding area. Just trying to see what are all the possible scenarios. Don't want to get my head ripped off.

Hey Brenda, no one is going to rip your head off dear. My understanding of the blood evidence is there is a pattern of blood drops near the outline that indicates someone bleeding from the arm stood there..the blood flowed down the arm and dropped to the carpet. The arm wound fed the blood on the knife.

Who would be holding the knife against their leg so that the blood could cover the tip of the knife in that pattern? The intruder? Then you are getting into all sorts of evidence that should be there in the house that isn't? How could he hold that knife against his leg and not transfer blood to his leg? How could he have escaped the house without transferring some of this blood to the window, the fence, the ground, etc.?

p.s. nice to see you over here posting Bren...

cami said:
Hey Brenda, no one is going to rip your head off dear. My understanding of the blood evidence is there is a pattern of blood drops near the outline that indicates someone bleeding from the arm stood there..the blood flowed down the arm and dropped to the carpet. The arm wound fed the blood on the knife.

Who would be holding the knife against their leg so that the blood could cover the tip of the knife in that pattern? The intruder? Then you are getting into all sorts of evidence that should be there in the house that isn't? How could he hold that knife against his leg and not transfer blood to his leg? How could he have escaped the house without transferring some of this blood to the window, the fence, the ground, etc.?

I never thought you would rip my head off Cami. :) The blood drops were there huh? Hmm.... And they were Darlie's? I guess I might have to go back to the book but I've sort of gone past this and part of me hates to start it up again but I have more time now that I'm not caring for my mother. Cindy always told me to look at the blood evidence and I thought that I would look at each separate bit of it that is documented and see what it says to me. It changed her mind but hasn't mine so I need to go over it again. Just for the intellectual exercise, not that it would do her any good.

But I didn't mean that whoever carried the knife had it pressed against his/her leg. I just meant hanging down by the side as they walked. No reason to get blood on the clothes.

One thing that I have never done is believe that just because they say they didn't find evidence of an intruder that there wasn't the evidence there to be found. I suspect that evidence is not found in most cases that is present. I said in the beginning and I still say that Darlie was arrested simply by default. There was no evidence at all that she did it. They arrested her because they couldn't find evidence of an intruder. They thought the blond hair in the window screen surely pointed to her as the killer but they were wrong. Later they thought that the fiberglass rod and rubber dust on the bread knife surely pointed to her and I think there is a strong possibility that they were wrong about that also. I base that on the fact that evidence gets contaminated at a crime scene as we all know. There was already one instance of contaminated evidence when the female policewoman's hair was somehow lodged in the cut window screen, particularly when the log does not show her as even being present. ( I know that she probably was present and the log wrong, but still.) I can think of a number of ways that such a minute amount of debris from the cut screen could have been transferred to the knife block. A finger, a sleeve, a cuff, a fingernail, etc. Most of them went to check out the cut screen right off.
I'm not saying that's what happened. But I am saying that to my own mind, that could have happened. And in the knife block there are a bunch of knives. For the debris to fall onto the most unlikely knife of all to be used to cut anything but bread, makes me wonder even more. I have a hard time imagining anyone deliberately choosing a dull tipped bread knife to cut a window screen.
I have other thoughts I'll have to save.

BrenTex said:

One thing that I have never done is believe that just because they say they didn't find evidence of an intruder that there wasn't the evidence there to be found. I suspect that evidence is not found in most cases that is present. I said in the beginning and I still say that Darlie was arrested simply by default. There was no evidence at all that she did it. They arrested her because they couldn't find evidence of an intruder.
I have considered the possibility of an intruder, but have concluded that Darlie committed the murders. I respect your opinion that Darlie is not guilty of this crime, but I do have a question for you - would you consider the possibility that she is guilty? I'm asking because I was recently discussing the JBR case with a friend (I strongly believed PR killed JBR) and after a lengthy and sometimes heated debate (and re-reading volumes on the case) I am now of the opinion that PR probably did not do it (but knew who did) - anyway, that's another forum. I am interested in whether you could be convinced of Darlie's guilt.

cami said:

Well, even more important it would have to be HIS blood feeding the knife imprint which would give us his dna and hopefully his identity. No strange blood found so far.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back