1107 users online (214 members and 893 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NYC Building Collapses After Blast, Fire

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/10/D8IP5MP01.html

NYC Building Collapses After Blast, Fire
    Jul 10 9:50 AM US/Eastern

By ADAM GOLDMAN
    Associated Press Writer

A three-story building on Manhattan's East Side went up in flames and collapsed Monday after what witnesses said was a thunderous explosion that rocked the neighborhood.

The cause was not immediately known, and at least two people were under evaluation at a hospital.

Television reports said people were trapped inside, but fire officials did not immediately confirm that.

Heavy black smoke rose high above the building, wedged between taller structures on 62nd Street between Park and Madison Avenues just a few blocks from Central Park. Damage, including shattered windows, could be seen at one of the adjoining buildings.

Fox news just reported that it was a suicide attempt that caused this building to explode and go up in flames...... geeeeez What a way to go!

Okay, apparently, a doctor that lived and practiced medicine in the building sent a suicidal email to someone, and then blew himself up.... along with the building. But he lived.

curious1 is offline So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!
    If that is the case anyone living in that and adjoing buildings should sue his ass off!!! Why didn't the idiot just run his car into a bridge instead of possibly taking out innocent people like a 3 week old baby.

That bastard will REALLY wish himself dead when he recovers and is slapped with charges and lawsuits. What a selfish, selfish, STUPID jerk.

The physician that was named is Nicholas Bartha. Supposedly, his estranged wife's lawyer had contacted police days earlier about the doctor being suicidal. He was going through a difficult divorce and was being forced to sell the building.
    Still.... Con Edison was already next door to the building responding to reports of a gas leak when the blast occurred.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060710/...lding_collapse

Another link:
    http://tinyurl.com/sxakv

Here's what the doctor said in a suicide email:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2174094&page=1

Only because I'm curious and stunned that someone allegedly would go to such lengths to get back at this wife, here's the court papers:
    http://www.courts.state.ny.us/REPORT...2005_00481.htm
    Snip:
    ...Defendant intentionally traumatized plaintiff, a woman of Jewish origin born in Nazi-occupied Holland, with swastika-adorned articles and notes affixed around their home, and became enraged when she removed them...

The last link is very informative. If anyone here feels I'm jumping the gun or posting anything that might do harm, PLEASE let me know and I'll delete.

The terror people around there must have felt. I can't even begin to imagine. Hearing the explosion, seeing a building comming down. You wouldn't know where to run.
    What a selfish man. THis went way beyond your self and even your family, this impacted lots and lots of people. SELFISH.
    IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by shdbepaintin
    The terror people around there must have felt. I can't even begin to imagine. Hearing the explosion, seeing a building comming down. You wouldn't know where to run.
    What a selfish man. THis went way beyond your self and even your family, this impacted lots and lots of people. SELFISH.
    They had to be thinking of a terrorist plot similar to 9/11. Those who were there to witness it and survived it must be horrified.

Quote Originally Posted by cathieq
    The physician that was named is Nicholas Bartha. Supposedly, his estranged wife's lawyer had contacted police days earlier about the doctor being suicidal. He was going through a difficult divorce and was being forced to sell the building.
    Still.... Con Edison was already next door to the building responding to reports of a gas leak when the blast occurred.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060710/...lding_collapse

Another link:
    http://tinyurl.com/sxakv
    I heard that there was a gas leak for a few days. It is possible he tried to do this before, causing the odor into the adjacent building. There were also statements about a prior suicide attempt, and just last Friday notice that he'd have to forfeit the building. It does appear this was intentional. Hopefully, no one he has injured dies or suffers any permanent damage. If this doctor is responsible, he should be punished to the full extent of the law.

curious1 is offline So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!
    If he is found guilty will his license to practice medicine be revoked?

Not automatically. The medical board would hold independent proceedings. Although I believe that a criminal conviction is a 100% guaranteed license revocation.

Quote Originally Posted by curious1
    If he is found guilty will his license to practice medicine be revoked?

I think they'll most likely suspend it as soon as he is arrested in order to see what happens. If he's convicted, yes, they'll revoke it, but if he's ever released from prison he'll be able to ask them to reinstate it. Don't know if they would.

If he did this I hope he goes away so long he will be too old to practice medicine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast