OR OR - Bandon, off Hwy 101, WhtMale 50-80, 425UMOR, dentures, key ring initial "R", Aug'72

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/425umor.htmlhttp://www.doenetwork.org/cases/425umor.html

425UMOR2.jpg

Unidentified White Male

• The victim was discovered on August 26, 1972 in Bandon, Coos County, Oregon
  • Estimate Date of Death: 1967 - 1969 (3-5 years prior)
  • Cause of Death: 2 gunshots to head
  • State of Remains: Skeletal
Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 50 - 70 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'10" - 6'0"; 180-200 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: No evidence of old fractures.
  • Clothing: Hat with hatband, leather belt buckled at 42", key ring with initial "R" with automobile key (possibly GM), gray wool socks with red and green bands, tan leather lace-up work type boots with white composition soles that hook at top for laces, labeled Bilt Rite, Nuron Crepe, Made in USA..
  • Dentals: Available. The victim had a full set of dentures, engraved with "S1214/66" or "or 51214/66".
  • Fingerprints: Not Available.
  • DNA: Not Available.
Case History
The victim was located in a wooded area north Bandon, Oregon, off Highway 101 on August 26, 1972 by a local citizen. Two .22 caliber bullets were found in the skull. No weapon was found at the site. Two .22 caliber unspent shells and 3 coins were found at the site.
A possible clue to his identity is the victim's dentures. It is speculated that these indicate that the dentures were made for a patient, in Seattle (S) by the US Public Health Service Hospital, in 1966 (/66) This could be the best lead to the victim's identity. The USPHSH is now closed. The hospital was established to care for service men and families. This leads to the speculation that he was in the military or Merchant Marine at some point. Using the age estimate from the Crime Lab, John Doe was born between 1902 and 1912. He would have been too young for WWI. Since the draft was in effect when he reached age 18, he was probably drafted into one of the services. He would have entered the military between 1920 and 1930. Since the Great Depression came in the 1930's, he could have stayed in after his tour, or because of previous service, could have been recalled in 1941. He may have joined the Merchant Marines after service and served in that capacity during WWII.
Location of records for dentures at dead end.

A Wendell farmer walked out of a Hagerman bar 39 years ago and was never seen again.

Now the mystery of his disappearance may be solved. Police say a body discovered in 1972 in the woods of Coos County, Ore., could be Fred Miller.

His son, Dick, and his five siblings have never lost hope.

"I've been so excited so many times when old bodies were found," Miller said. "I've been through a thousand of these. But it didn't pan out."

This lead may not pan out, either. But he is determined to see it through, as is Gooding County Sheriff Shaun Gough, who has re-opened the investigation.

He said the similarities are uncanny:

The reconstructed skull of the body found in Oregon closely resembles a photo taken of Miller before he disappeared. Also matching are the age, weight, height, hat with hatband, leather belt buckled at 42 inches, a key ring with the letter "R", gray wool socks and tan leather work boots. Also, the year of death matches when Miller went missing.

What does not match, however, are dentures found on the body. Miller had some false teeth, but not a full set of dentures.

A DNA test will make the final determination, but could take several months.

http://www.magicvalley.com/articles/2007/03/18/news/top_story/108389.txt

Good connection, but the UID had a full set of dentures vs partials listed in the missing case...the nose is off on the casting or reconstruction that was done. I would think that confirming the denture issue would be easy enough to do and rule the poor soul in or out!

Did write of possible connection to both agencies-wrote to Idaho of "John Doe" in Oregon and to Oregon of "Miller" of Idaho.

Will at least tryto put Doe Network report on USMM website. DNA will hopefully give answear

I think Fred Miller was ruled out as being this UID, but I'm not 100% sure because the article says that the UID was found in 1973 (I can't actually find a record for an older white male UID from 1973, so I thought it may be an error and they are referring to this person?).
According to the Idaho State Police Missing Persons Clearinghouse, Fred Miller’s disappearance is the oldest missing-person case in Idaho.

Miller was last seen at 8 p.m. on Aug. 16, 1968, according to the original police report, filed by then-Gooding Sheriff Bill Bunn. The report states Miller, an irrigator, didn’t show up for work the next day. His wife hadn’t seen him either. The sheriff’s office sent messages to police in every state to be on the lookout, the report states.

“Every sheriff since has worked on it,” Gough said.

In the 1980s, deputies dredged the Snake River below the Upper Salmon Dam in hopes of finding Miller’s 1960 white, four-door AMC Rambler.

“I was brand new at the time,” Gough said.

A decade later, deputies dug up a backyard in Gooding County. Neither search found anything.

In 2007, Miller’s families’ DNA was checked against a body found in Oregon in 1973. Still, no match.

The most recent development in the case happened less than a year ago, Gough said. In January, he got a call from a researcher in Texas who was working on matching DNA to unidentified bodies.

“She wanted to know if the Gooding sheriff’s office had any of Fred Miller’s DNA,” he said.

The office didn’t, but Gough offered to get a sample from Miller’s children.

“If a body turns up, they’ll be able to match,” he said.
http://magicvalley.com/news/local/gooding-cases-that-stopped-cold/article_e33c529c-3764-560c-804a-8e7312fdac11.html

Holy crapola. I CANNOT get over this possible match. If Fred is not this UID I'll delete my profile and quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambercat, have you submitted this match? It may have been overlooked, especially if the Oregon UID mentioned in the article really is a different UID entirely and has since been identified.

((Edited -- Sorry, I see this has been considered as a potential match for a long time.))

If this is Miller, he may have been a carjacking victim. NamUs states he was last seen in the company of two hitchhikers. I've never seen such a perfect match on clothing and accessories between MP and UID.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back