Man dies waiting 4hours after placing 2- 911 calls..County had old technology

I worked for a county 911 center as an emergency operator. At the time (about a year ago) we did not have 911 cell phone technology. We do now, but didn't at the time. It was really hard to track people on cell phones because if they've been injured, or gotten lost, they can't always explain where they are.

As far as I know, it's not mandatory that counties get this technology. There are many, many places who don't have it, and are no where near getting it.

The guy got through to a 911 operator but they didn't have the lastest tech for tracking, pin pointing the location....Only what tower it came from...

Pharlap said:
The guy got through to a 911 operator but they didn't have the lastest tech for tracking, pin pointing the location....Only what tower it came from...
And that tower was many, many miles away from his actual location. When one tower has too much traffic, the phone call bounces off the next tower. Triangulating cell phones from towers rarely will give you an accurate location. We had a cell phone call come in to our center one time, and the caller was calling from the WI/MN border..... wayyyy across the state.

ok, but the article said the equiepment was outdated,if I read it correctly.
Which makes me believe they could of found him earlier....

:waitasec:

Last year, some idiot driver -- on a two-way road -- passed me and slammed on his brakes. [Guess I wasn't going fast enough and he expected me to pull over and let him by....I was doing the speed limit.] Then, he got out of his car and was walking towards mine. I asked my daughter to hurry up and dial 911. She did and handed me the phone. He saw this and drove off. I got his license number and since it was a two-way road, he really couldn't escape me.

Long story short -- we drove through three small cities [south of Detroit] and kept driving out of the 911 operator's jurisdiction. I was transfered three times in ten minutes. By the third operator, the idiot driver turned, I was going straight and I just said to forget it. The operators didn't care to take down the guy's license number.

I wrote my local congressman and the governor. I got a lot of "thanks for writing" and no real answers. :mad:

911 is a valuable tool BUT it is not a fool-proof system.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back