739 users online (73 members and 666 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Clerk Attacks Boy For Not Buying Yo-Yo

http://www.whiotv.com/news/9497589/detail.html

FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- Police said a convenience store clerk is being held without bail on suspicion of attacking a boy in Fort Pierce, Fla., for not buying a yo-yo.

Amar Shreiteh is charged with attempted murder and false imprisonment.

As the girl browsed for snacks, Howard allegedly played with a yo-yo.

Police said that after the girl paid for the items, Howard put down the toy and tried to leave the store. They said Shreiteh demanded the boy pay for the yo-yo, but Howard told him it was already opened and he didn't want it. Authorities said Shreiteh then punched the boy.

Investigators allege he pulled the teenager behind the counter and stabbed him on the back of his arm with a butcher knife.

More at link

This guy is nuts

That's going to turn into one mighty expensive yo-yo - Wonder if the clerk had run-ins with this kid before? Sounds like the clerk had it in for him...Glad the teenager is OK.

I'd have to see video surveillance to determine if the boy actually opened up the package with the yoyo in it. Then, I'll decide if the clerk overreacted...

I would say even if the kid opened the package the cleck did overeacted by stabbing him in the back. He could have called the police or something. I don't think that would justify being stabbed unless his life was in danger.

The name of the store was "Friendly's."

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    I'd have to see video surveillance to determine if the boy actually open up the package with the yoyo in it. Then, I'll decide if the clerk overreacted...
    IMO, stabbing the kid is overreacting... what the clerk should have done (if he suspected the kid opened the package was detain him for the police... not stab him...

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99
    IMO, stabbing the kid is overreacting... what the clerk should have done (if he suspected the kid opened the package was detain him for the police... not stab him...

that I agree with...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I guess that Mr. Friendly wasn't working that day!

MR - Surely, you realize that I was being facetious. That's why I added the at the end of my post.

Quite frankly, I think that stabbing anyone is over the top (unless done in self-defense), especially a kid who refused to buy a yoyo with which he was playing...

He didn't try to steal it, what could the police have done?

Quote Originally Posted by bakerprune64
    If he opened the package, the police could have probably done something--at least talked to the boy and/or his parents.

Use a yo-yo...go to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerprune64
    The point is... is the clerk had no right to react in the manner he did. If the clerk had called the police, then the police would have/could have talked to both parties and sent them on their separate ways (as an example)

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)

Beyond Ripley's
    It's not what a man knows that makes him a fool, it's what he does know that ain't so. .... Josh Billings

I read that article in our local news. Theres more going on there than a kid messing with a yo yo. More than likely that place has been getting ripped off constantly. Definitely an area not to visit in Florida. Unless of course you have an armoured car and machine guns to protect yourself.