eBay joker auctions off West Virginia

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
MORGANTOWN, West Virginia (AP) -- An attempt to auction off the state of West Virginia drew 56 bids and nearly enough promised dollars to fill the state's projected budget hole before eBay learned of the joke.

By Tuesday evening, with five days to go in the sale of item number 2372779353, "Entire State of West Virginia," bidders had bumped the ante up to just $1 short of $100 million.

"As an eBay consumer myself ... that's a heck of a bargain!" joked Amy Shuler Goodwin, spokeswoman for Gov. Bob Wise, who's projecting a $120 million deficit for fiscal 2005.

The seller, identified only as "fishstuffnthings," did not immediately respond to e-mails late Tuesday. Nor did "nosnam1488," who was the high bidder

From CNN Offbeat News

This is good, but I think I need to make a trip there to get all my birth records before they do auction off the state....LOL....

becca

Fill me in. Wasn't their something like that on ebay before. Something like someone selling an island or town. I can't remember. Anyone know?

The sale of the town was quite legitimate, but who on earth could ever think that the entire state of West Virginia was actually up for sale?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back