1077 users online (203 members and 874 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NH - Mary Haas, 84, found dead in plastic storage bin, Dover, 2005

DOVER -- A mystery that began to unfold last week was solved Monday when police discovered the decomposed remains of an elderly Dover woman stuffed in a plastic box in the upstairs bedroom of her recently condemned home...
    http://tinyurl.com/g7xjf

Two daughters lived with her but the police can't find them. LE had recent dealings with the family...they were cat hoarders. This is really a bizarre story.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    This is a strange one. I'll bet the two daughters know what happened to her.

I wonder if they were getting her social security checks?

Old Broad
    this is just my opinion, it may be wrong, user beware!

I wondered about the SS checks too.

Read this late last night.

Daughters of woman found in box surrender'My life is over!' one wails; mother had
    DOVER -- Two sisters wanted for allegedly storing their elderly mother's remains in a plastic container surrendered to authorities Tuesday after Dover police said they saw reports in the media.

Their mother, 84-year-old Mary Haas, had been dead more than a year, said Dover police Capt. Lester More at link

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...607120382/1006
    IMHO

I find this story so terribly sad. I don't believe the sisters meant any ill will towards anyone. They were probably very dependent on their mother for support. As long as she was alive, the sisters probably had some semblance of normalcy, but when she died it all spiraled downhill.

At first I thought she died and they didn't have the money to bury her or something similar. But, once I read about all the financial problems they had AND then the woman saying her life was "over," I started thinking something more serious happened. I think Old Broad's comment about SS checks is entirely possible. After all, abuse of a corpse wouldn't ruin her life. Wouldn't even go to trial most likely.

What is the usual sentence for abuse of a corpse?
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

I know of a situation where I think something like this has happened. A mother and daughter lived alone for years after the father died. No one has seen the mother in years. If I rememeber correctly her age now if she were still living would be in her mid 80's. I checked the social secuirty death index and she is not listed there. I know the owners of the funeral home in the town and they have no record of her death. There is no form of home health care that has come to the house. I know the neighbor who lives next door and she sees everything that goes on over there. The daughter has had mental problems for years and only comes out of the house occasionaly late at night and walks to a little store down the street and goes to the post office. She does not talk to anyone and hasn't for years. I would say that it has been at least 10 years since anyone saw the mother. I really think that she died years ago and the daughter either buried her in the back yard or still has her in the house. I asked a police officer once about going to the house and checking on the mother but the reply was that the daughter would never open the door for them. I know if it were in the city where I worked, going to the house and doing a welfare check on the mother would not be a problem. This is in a very small town where everyone just seems to accept that the mother died. It frustrates the heck out of me everytime I drive by that house.
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
    What is the usual sentence for abuse of a corpse?

I'm not sure that there is one. I think its all based on the circumstances of the case and what the "abuse" was. I seem to recall a story we discussed not too long ago where the guy got probation.

The 2 daughters of the deceased woman sound as though they need keepers. Anyone who hoards animals like that has a definite mental problem. Hopefully they will receive some help to try to get their lives in some semblance of order. And then there is the matter of the Social Security checks...

The article I read said there were 100 cats! I thought my father-in-law was bad with 22 cats!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK
    The article I read said there were 100 cats! I thought my father-in-law was bad with 22 cats!

The last article on here said that they put 116 sickly cats to sleep at the house before they took them out...at the daughter's request. My kids think I'm bad with 6 cats! They told me everyone is going to call me "the cat lady."
    They aren't cat lovers but I have always been. I told them that "personally I don't care what anyone calls me." They tease me about having a "cat house." I told them if they didn't leave me alone I was going to put a red light bulb in my porch light! I swear they live to give me a hard time...all in fun

2006:

The sickly cats were euthanized on the premises at the request of Pamela Haas before being taken to the Kent County SPCA to be destroyed.

"We were retained by the owner to euthanize the cats," said veterinarian Dr. Craig Stonesiefer, of the Brenford Animal Hospital. "We were not requested by the SPCA or the police."
    http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/archive...006&t=854034-1

Rest in peace, more than 100 cats

October 2006:

Two Dover sisters who hid their elderly mother's body for 10 months to collect her government benefit checks have been sentenced to 18 months of probation.

Candy Jean Haas and Pamela A. Haas each were given six months of work release and one year of probation.

They stored the remains of 84-year-old Mary Haas in their now-condemned Dover house, which held about 130 cats.
    http://www.wboc.com/story/5900506/ha...d-to-probation

Candy Haas
    5900506_BG2.jpg

Pamela Haas
    5900506_BG3.jpg

October 2006:

Candy Jean Haas and Pamela J. Haas each pleaded guilty today to two misdemeanor counts stemming from the discovery of their mother's corpse and 130 cats at their west Dover home in July.

During an appearance in Kent County Court of Common Pleas, Pamela Haas pleaded guilty to single counts of cruelty to animals and abuse of a corpse. In exchange for the guilty plea, a misdemeanor count of third-degree conspirary was dropped by the state.

Candy Haas, Pamela's sister, pleaded guilty to one count each of abuse of a corpse and third-degree conspiracy.
    http://archive.delawareonline.com/ar...other-s-corpse

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast