WA WA - Susanna Stodden, 56, & Mary Cooper, 27, Pinnacle Lake, 11 Jul 2006

Shadow205

Reaction score
Snohomish County sheriff's investigators were searching rugged terrain today for clues in the deaths of two women whose bodies were found in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest northeast of Everett.
One victim was estimated to be between 40 and 50. The other was a woman in her 20s. Their gear suggests they had planned a day hike on the 1.9 miles long Pinnacle Lake trail, in the popular Mount Pilchuck area, Deputy Rich Niebusch said.

Niebusch did not disclose how the victims died, other than that they had suffered some trauma. He said authorities had ruled out the possibility of a wild animal attack and believe the women were murdered.

"We're approaching this as a homicide investigation until it proves otherwise," Niebusch said. "We haven't ruled out any possibilities." Someone called 911 Tuesday about 2:20 p.m. to report finding the bodies.

more at the link http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/277324_hikers12ww.html

A Seattle woman and her daughter were shot to death while hiking Tuesday in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.

Officials with the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office said the two women suffered trauma. They declined to release anymore details.

A Dodge Caravan belonging to one of the victims was found parked at a trailhead near Pinnacle Lake, which is several miles off the Mountain Loop Highway.

<snip>
Investigators have ruled out murder suicide, Niebusch said.
<snip>
During a news conference on the steps of the Snohomish County Courthouse this afternoon, Niebusch said no suspects have been identified. He warned people planning to hike in the Pinnacle Lake-area to be cautious.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003122375_webdeadhikers12.html

That is so upsetting that you can't even enjoy hiking w/o the worry of someone hurting you. We just came back from a wonderful trip of hiking in the Smokey's, Appalacian Trail and also Chimney Rock in N.C. It was such a wonderful trip, and I can't imagine that joy being cut short due to someone causing harm to our family. This is so terrible. I hope whoever did this is caught. Prayers to the victim's family.

Two women found slain on a Snohomish County trail have been identified as a Seattle Public Schools librarian and her daughter.

Their cause of death and the official release of their identities are expected to be announced this evening, after the Snohomish County Medical Examiner has identified them through fingerprint or dental records and the next-of-kin has been notified. However, a note outside the home of one of the victims identifies them as Mary Cooper, 56, and Susanna Stodden, 27.

<snip>

Cooper was a librarian at Alternative Elementary No. 2 at Decatur in Seattle.
<snip>
The note outside Cooper's home read: "In a time of shock and grief, we would like to focus on the tremendous positive legacy left by this extraordinary mother and daughter. As a librarian, teacher, activist, neighbor, friend and mother, Mary touched the lives of countless people."
<snip>
Sheriff's spokesman Rich Niebusch also didn't say whether detectives had identified a suspect, but he warned people planning to hike in the Pinnacle Lake area to be cautious.
more at the link http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003124787_webhikersslain13.html

IN MEMORIAM

A memorial service for Mary Cooper and Susanna Stodden is planned for July 23. The service will be at 2 p.m. at Town Hall, 1119 Eighth Ave. in Seattle. The family asks that instead of flowers, donations be made in honor of Mary Cooper to the Seattle Public Library Foundation for Children's Literacy Programs and in honor of Susanna Stodden to the Washington Trails Association.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/277727_hikers15.html

kahskye said:
That is so upsetting that you can't even enjoy hiking w/o the worry of someone hurting you. We just came back from a wonderful trip of hiking in the Smokey's, Appalacian Trail and also Chimney Rock in N.C. It was such a wonderful trip, and I can't imagine that joy being cut short due to someone causing harm to our family. This is so terrible. I hope whoever did this is caught. Prayers to the victim's family.

No kidding. Reminds me of the episode on that new Courttv show, Haunted Psychic or something to that effect. Two women camping off the Appalachian trail murdered and you hear about this type of crime way too often. Nothing is sacred anymore. We must have our guards up at all times.

Watching that show scared the h*** out of me. I really had a visceral reaction to it. It's a horror story come to life.

Sundayrain said:
I love the state of Washington. Especially the Mt. Rainer area. So now, people can't go hiking. This is sad for America......:furious:

Me too. Born and raised here. This mom and daughter didn't go hiking alone yet they still met some animal out there. It must have been random. Someone out for a "thrill kill." I hope there is some evidence and that person or people are caught soon.

Snohomish County sheriff's spokesman Dave Hayes said the television show "America's Most Wanted" also offered assistance, but investigators declined.

Cooper, 56, and Stodden, 27, were found shot to death July 11 along the Pinnacle Lake trail in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.

more at the link http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003136475_hikers19m.html

I wonder why LE declined the offer from AMW. You would think that they would want all of the help that they could get at this point.

One month after his wife and daughter were found slain on a popular Snohomish County hiking trail, David Stodden remains hopeful investigators will eventually find whoever is responsible.

"I think Susanna and Mary would want me to find the person who is responsible for this," Stodden said Thursday night. Stodden said he has faith that Snohomish County sheriff's investigators are working hard on the case. Though he talks to the case detective several times a week, he said, he doesn't know what leads they have.

<snip>

Sheriff's Chief Tom Greene said Thursday that the release of certain facts could jeopardize their investigation

<snip>

The sheriff's office said early on it was investigating the possibility the killings were random, but has not gone beyond that. Two weeks ago investigators held a news conference to announce they had identified "persons of interest" they planned to question, but so far those leads have not led to an arrest.

On Thursday, sheriff's spokesman Rich Niebusch refused to comment on "anything that is of an investigatory nature."

<snip>

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=hikerdeath11m&date=20060811&query=Mary+Cooper

kahskye said:
There are just so many of these cases where nature loving people out for a nice hike etc. end up murdered...chilling...and so very sad...these predators use isolation as a means to fullfill their bloodlust...Horrible :mad:

its awful--my only cousin,she's 53 and lives in Kent,Wash--she goes hiking all the time in the Mt Ranier area,but always does it in groups of ten or more---Back in the '80's there was a serial killer in the Northern California area who murdered many couples--raped the women,in state parks--he's on death row now--horrendous individual--the true crime book was The Sleeping Lady

Peter Hamilton said:
its awful--my only cousin,she's 53 and lives in Kent,Wash--she goes hiking all the time in the Mt Ranier area,but always does it in groups of ten or more---Back in the '80's there was a serial killer in the Northern California area who murdered many couples--raped the women,in state parks--he's on death row now--horrendous individual--the true crime book was The Sleeping Lady
I may be getting him confused with another murderer but didn't the man that you are talking about kill along the Appalachin Trail too?

no,the Appalachian killer was somebody else----the "Sleeping Lady' killer was not a hunter or survivalist--he lived in a middle class neighborhood near San francisco,and only owned a handgun--this was about 20 years ago--he was an older guy,in his 40's--he had already been in prison several times for attempted rape and kidnapping--the pictures in the book showed his progressive physical deteioration each time he was in prison--he claimed prison made him an animal,and he was tired of getting caught all the time--so he then decided to leave no witnesses--think his name was David Carpenter--just remembered it

ladymemac said:
For a new story about a possible serial killer working in the outdoors of the Pacific Northwest, check out "The Hunter" at www.truecrimediary.com...

Ladymemac

That article is really scary. I live in the Northwest! I know I'm not going camping alone anymore. I don't go off into the woods by myself but that scared me enough to be more careful from now on. It doesn't seem to matter in these cases that there were two people together so that they are safer, Who ever this person is he just waits until people are sleeping. It really makes me angry that people can't go hiking or camping without being in danger. I like the way the world was when I was growing up. Kids could go out and play, ride their bikes to a friends. Teens and adults could go camping in the forest, go fishing alone, just live their lives without being fearful.

ladymemac said:
For a new story about a possible serial killer working in the outdoors of the Pacific Northwest, check out "The Hunter" at www.truecrimediary.com...

Ladymemac
Ladymemac, I was wondering if you had submitted this website information as a tip?

no info on this case yet??? wonder if there's any connection with the killers of lindsay cutshall & jason allen. bobbisandel... i couldn't agree with you more, about liking the way the world used to be. it makes me so sad,, i don't like the world anymore. i wish i could understand,, what happened....?? when did so many men (mostly) start going so sociopathic & psychotic and start killing people, molesting & murdering children?? why? is it our culture of violence & materialism?? is it something in the water? did america grow up too fast? is it overpopulation? or maybe devolution......???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back