1248 users online (242 members and 1006 guests)  

Websleuths News

Barry Manilow tunes used to drive away revelers

Manilow tunes annoy residents

Agitation grows in Sydney suburb over tactic to oust revelers

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- It could be magic for some, but the use of loud Barry Manilow music to drive away late-night revelers from a suburban Sydney park is getting on the nerves of nearby residents.

In a move reminiscent of U.S. efforts to drive former Panama strongman Manuel Noriega from the Vatican Embassy where he took refuge in 1989, the local council in Rockdale, in Sydney's southern suburbs, started a six-month trial of high-volume hits by Manilow and Doris Day to chase away car enthusiasts who were gathering on weekend nights at Cook Park Reserve.

"Barry's our secret weapon," Rockdale Deputy Mayor Bill Saravinovski told The Daily Telegraph newspaper, four weeks after the start of the effort. "It seems to be working."

But some people living near the park are less than enthralled. They say the barrage of "Copacabana," "Could It Be Magic" and "Que Sera Sera," blasting from 9 p.m. to midnight every Friday, Saturday and Sunday is driving them crazy.

More: http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

I can think of a few other places where this tactic might work, too!!
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

curious1 is offline So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!

Lets start a list shall we....Music to Kill a Party By

Kenny G

That is so funny. Poor Barry.

I'm snickering at this, as I'm sure it can definitely work!

But! I did go to one of his concerts in Sacramento several years ago, and it was really good, LOL! He's an entertainer, IMO...versus so many "singers" nowadays. And noooo, I'm not in my 60's, haha.

Yet, I never did like Copacabana (sp?)...that would have me leaving too