Family Dog Saves Toddler Playing On Rooftop

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
(CBS 3) PHILADELPHIA An unlikely hero helped keep a toddler safe in Southwest Philadelphia on Sunday as the family dog stepped in when the little boy tried to play on the roof.

"He is a real special guy, period, he does a lot of things that amaze me," explained Philip Redman Sr.

As the child’s parents slept in their on the 6300 block of Reedland Street, two-year-old Philip Redman Jr. crawled out of bed, moved the playpen out of the way that his parents had placed in front of a broken window and got loose.

"He climbed out, he literally just pulled himself out of the window," explained Philip Sr.

The little boy began running across the rooftops of several homes and neighbors could not believe what they were seeing.

"I saw a baby running across the window, then I said that can’t be true, but then I saw a dog," said neighbor and block captain, Tina Mitchell.

The dog was Alfie who followed little Philip out of the window and it was the dog’s barking that got the attention of neighbor’s and his parents.

Not only did the dog run outside but she actually ran along the outside edge of the roof to make sure the toddler did not fall off.

More: http://cbs3.com/local/local_story_197191147.html

Hooray for Alfie! :blowkiss:
Woof Woof!

Yea Alfie!! Darn little escape artist kid. My nephew was the same way when he was young. They had to install deadbolts that locked with a key and had to put the key on top of the door frame to keep him from getting out of the house from the time he started walking. There was not a lock in the house that kid could not work. What a brave and wonderful dog. The poor kids Dad still looked a little shocked. It was cute what he said about being embarrassed. :blushing:

Glade everyone is ok.
Bet doggie got a REAL good treat when they were back on the ground.....

After thinking about this for a while, I have another comment. The broken window that this boy climbed out of did not have anything over it. It was just an open window. And with a playpen right underneath of it. It would seem to me that these parents possibly had him sleeping in the playpen and that is how he pulled himself out of the window. Playpens are taller than the floor which would have made it easier for the little boy to climb out. I am so very thankful that this little one is ok, but honestly I still think DCFS should be investigating these parents.

BAD_BUTTERFLY said:
After thinking about this for a while, I have another comment. The broken window that this boy climbed out of did not have anything over it. It was just an open window. And with a playpen right underneath of it. It would seem to me that these parents possibly had him sleeping in the playpen and that is how he pulled himself out of the window. Playpens are taller than the floor which would have made it easier for the little boy to climb out. I am so very thankful that this little one is ok, but honestly I still think DCFS should be investigating these parents.
I immediately thought of that broken window and thought the parents really need to fix that ASAP. I myself can't imagine leaving my child to sleep in a room w/ a broken window. I'd have her sleep w/ me in my room first. Thank God for this wonderful dog who truly is a hero.

BAD_BUTTERFLY said:
"As the child’s parents slept in their on the 6300 block of Reedland Street, two-year-old Philip Redman Jr. crawled out of bed, moved the playpen out of the way that his parents had placed in front of a broken window and got loose."

This wasn't a case of neglectful parents, as much as it was a curious child. I work for Child Protective services and this is not a negligence case. CPS has the responsibility to look at the facts which will clearly show that they had tried to block his access to the window with the playpen. If this were to go any further, I would be shocked.

not to be a smart allek, but where else would they get this information from, but the parents. It seems to me if the childs parents said this was the case because they didn't want to be investigated? Just a thought. When child services checks out something, do they just go by what the parents say. I don't know about anyone else but my daughter at 2 would have never been strong enough to pull herself as high as that window is. This is JMHO, not to be taken as fact.

This is why I love dogs. I think a cat would have just pushed the kid over the ledge. :D

Since this is a happy thread let me tell you a little joke.

Man takes his duck to vet. The vet tells him that he is sorry but the duck is dead. The man tells him "I would like a second opinion" Vet replies "sure" and opens up his office door and calls his old bloodhound in. Joe sniffs the duck then walks out the door. The vet said "sorry but your duck is dead" The man said "I would like another opinion". The vet sighs but says "sure". He then goes to the door and calls for his cat to come inside. The cat goes over and sniffs the duck then walks right back out the door. The vet said "your duck is no longer living, I'm sorry".

The owner finally gives in and says "ok, how much do I owe you?" The vet tells him "$150.00" The man's eyes widen and he exclaims "why so much?" Vet replied "well it would have only been $50.00 but with the dog and cat scan its $150.00!" :laugh: :laugh:

Have a nice day everyone.

Ocean

Cat Scan...ROTFLMAO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member