GUILTY UT - Destiny Norton, 5, Salt Lake City, 16 July 2006

jaybird

Pop Culture Princess
Reaction score
KSL News/AP) -- Police have cancelled an Amber Alert, but the search for a missing five-year-old Salt Lake City girl named Destiny Norton continues.

It has been over 15 hours since Destiny Norton was last seen. A very aggressive search has continued, with over 50 people are searching a five block radius around the girl's home.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=364019

More at link. I hope they find this little sweetheart soon.

I wonder why LE called off the Amber Alert? They don't know any more now then they did when she first went missing. She must have disappeared within minutes after she went out of her door. Her parents said that they started looking for her within minutes.

I sure hope this has a happy ending. That child sex offender must live close by. They didn't say if the dogs hit on anything or not. I hope she is found soon. I can't imagine where she would be for this length of time without someone seeing her.

This story reminds me so much of Annalyce Guerra, the little girl who disappeared from Smyrna, TN. According to their parents, both girls left the house on their own never to be seen again.

From what the article that was posted above I take it the Amber Alert was cancelled because a "person of interest" had been detained??

<SNIP>

A "person of interest" was located Sunday night and questioned and released, Snyder said. Monday morning, however, police wanted to talk to Sevkija Ferhatovic again. He voluntarily showed up at the police station about 10 a.m.. Police were not saying if Ferhatovic - who was charged with felony sex crimes in 2002 but acquitted by a jury - had anything to do with the girl's disappearance. Because Ferhatovic was detained, however, the Amber Alert was canceled.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4062689

Bobbisangel said:
I wonder why LE called off the Amber Alert? They don't know any more now then they did when she first went missing. She must have disappeared within minutes after she went out of her door. Her parents said that they started looking for her within minutes.

I sure hope this has a happy ending. That child sex offender must live close by. They didn't say if the dogs hit on anything or not. I hope she is found soon. I can't imagine where she would be for this length of time without someone seeing her.

article
From the link:
By 11:30 a.m. the Amber Alert was cancelled because the person they were looking for was found, said Salt Lake City police detective Robin Snyder, and the criteria for issuing an alert was no longer there.

Also:However, more than 50 city police officers along with agents from the FBI continued looking for Destiny.
By noon Monday, police were not accepting volunteers from the public to help search but said they might do that if the search area expanded. Family members, however, walked up and down the neighborhood passing out fliers with Destiny's picture.

Tonight they said they found some evidence in a dumpster.
One item was a pillow.
IMO I don't think it sounds good.

Isn't the public invited to participate in a search for Destiny tomorrow morning? I think they are to meet at Liberty Park at 7am.

harleysnana said:
article
From the link:
By 11:30 a.m. the Amber Alert was cancelled because the person they were looking for was found, said Salt Lake City police detective Robin Snyder, and the criteria for issuing an alert was no longer there.

Also:However, more than 50 city police officers along with agents from the FBI continued looking for Destiny.
By noon Monday, police were not accepting volunteers from the public to help search but said they might do that if the search area expanded. Family members, however, walked up and down the neighborhood passing out fliers with Destiny's picture.

Tonight they said they found some evidence in a dumpster.
One item was a pillow.
IMO I don't think it sounds good.

Her family is asking for people to search.

The police said they are not organizing any searches
and will not allow searching within 5 blocks of her house.

I can't put my finger on this one...this is very local to me (about 1 mile) and if I didn't have to work, I'd be out searching. I think I may do some of my own sleuthing this evening, however.

The local news this morning says they are accepting volunteers. Anyone in the area, the command post is at Liberty Park (northeast corner), if interested.

I pray for a positive outcome from this but I am feeling quite leery.

This child will be very distinctive to spot...green stripes in her hair and all her teeth but the top canines are silver-capped. She is also missing her 2 front top teeth.

I do hope this little girl is found safe. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have let my dd storm out the front door to cool off at age 5. Destiny was obviously mad, but I would have told her to go to her room to cool off, never would I have left her alone outdoors.

I agree. If my son did this, I'd be right behind him, making him come back in and apologize for his behavior. We'd have a little chat about what just happened. I know my parents would have done the same thing with me at any age. I can't imagine letting a five year old stomp out of the house.

In one of the other posts it says something about a pillow being found in a dumpster. Did Destiny leave the house with a pillow? Who found the pillow? Was it her family or the police? Why aren't people allowed to search within five blocks of where she disappeared?

I couldn't find an the article mentioning a pillow being found. Could the previous poster please submit a related link?

I agree about letting the child storm out of the home. This area is not the best in town...lots of drugs, transients, and various other characters.

Does anyone know if people are searching cars (trunks)? I was just thinking if Destiny was upset & stormed out of the house maybe she hid somewhere and got trapped.

RKnowley said:
Does anyone know if people are searching cars (trunks)? I was just thinking if Destiny was upset & stormed out of the house maybe she hid somewhere and got trapped.
This is the support section of threads so I won't say what I am thinking about the case but to show support I will say I hope the case has a happy outcome.

This story is about a mile from where I live. I don't have a good feeling about this. The story is full of red-flags, in my opinion. For instance: The neighborhood where she lives is known for a lot of drug activity; there are 6 adults whom live with Destiny; the child has green streaks in her hair and most her teeth are silver-capped. Not that allowing your child to color her hair is suspicious but with the 3 other points I've mentioned, I can't help but think that possibly this is a "drug house" where one of the 6 adults did something to Destiny. I am not pointing fingers at the parents or friends...just considering the "facts" as I've read them. It also disturbed me that the mother did not shed a single tear nor seemed too distraught when she was interviewed on our local news this morning.

Before I get an out-cry of responses, yes, I understand very well that everyone reacts differently to these type of circumstances. Again, I am just voicing my concerns.

I am praying for this child.

The last time I read of a case where a family claimed their very young child had disappeared after having left in a huff it was later determined the family had done foul play and the body had not yet been found when I last read about that case. I am hoping that did not happen in this case but I can't help but note the similarity in stories.

lisan1373 said:
I couldn't find an the article mentioning a pillow being found. Could the previous poster please submit a related link?
It was on our local news yesterday... sorry no link.

dulcinea said:
In one of the other posts it says something about a pillow being found in a dumpster. Did Destiny leave the house with a pillow? Who found the pillow? Was it her family or the police? Why aren't people allowed to search within five blocks of where she disappeared?
I'm not sure where the pillow was found....other than in a dumpster.
They did take some other evidence and it is being sent
to a lab.
They never said if she left with a pillow, or why they took the pillow as evidence.
They showed a dumpster, blocked off with yellow tape, and the police
gathering evidence.
I'm not sure why people can't search within 5 blocks.
They said today that the police are still searching within
the 5 blocks, and asking people in the area to look in their cars,
houses etc.
I'm not sure where volunteers are searching.
I plan to search tomorrow and will post what I find out.
I don't have any links... just reporting what is on the local news.

lisan1373 said:
I am not pointing fingers at the parents or friends...just considering the "facts" as I've read them. It also disturbed me that the mother did not shed a single tear nor seemed too distraught when she was interviewed on our local news this morning.

Before I get an out-cry of responses, yes, I understand very well that everyone reacts differently to these type of circumstances. Again, I am just voicing my concerns.

I am praying for this child.

As far as the mother….most people under these circumstances are given
drugs to calm them down. She seemed worn out to me.

Like you said.. this is a bad area! It could be drug related, it could be
the parents, friends, or a complete stranger, but there have been no
"facts" that point to anyone, and I’m not ready to point the finger
until some facts come out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members