1077 users online (215 members and 862 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Paintbrush broken once or twice?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once

3 21.43%
  • Twice

11 78.57%

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Broken once or twice?

We know the paintbrush handle was broken, but was it broken once or twice?

Twice, and it had been whittled.

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh
    Twice, and it had been whittled.
    Whittled?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    Whittled?
    Thats what I was going to ask

Not one whit of truth there, I bet.

Here a whit..there a whit..everywhere a whit whit ...Im sorry Im just in a stupid mood today

You and shiloh.

In looking at the photograph of the paint tote, the broken paint brush is blue. http://www.acandyrose.com/178paint-tote.jpg (The blue paint brush in the lower left hand corner is the one which is broken). The "stick" tied to the cord is tan/brown. http://www.acandyrose.com/garrote3.jpg

From the autopsy report: This wooden stick is irregularly broken at both ends and there are several colors of paint and apparent glistening varnish on the surface. Printed in gold letters on one end of the wooden stick is the word 'Korea.' The tail end of another word extends from beneath the loops of the cord tied around the stick, and is not able to be interpreted."

The autopsy report refers to it as a stick, and mentions several colors of paint and a glistening varnish, which would be from various painting jobs from areas on the "stick" that had not been whittled.

Whittling was one of Burke's hobbies. Either he had whittled it at some point in time, or (my theory) the killer whittled it as a way to implicate Burke.

In looking at the photograph of the paint tote, the broken paint brush is blue. http://www.acandyrose.com/178paint-tote.jpg (The blue paint brush in the lower left hand corner is the one which is broken). The "stick" tied to the cord is tan/brown. http://www.acandyrose.com/garrote3.jpg

From the autopsy report: This wooden stick is irregularly broken at both ends and there are several colors of paint and apparent glistening varnish on the surface. Printed in gold letters on one end of the wooden stick is the word 'Korea.' The tail end of another word extends from beneath the loops of the cord tied around the stick, and is not able to be interpreted."

The autopsy report refers to it as a stick, and mentions several colors of paint and a glistening varnish, which would be from various painting jobs from areas on the "stick" that had not been whittled.

Whittling was one of Burke's hobbies. Either he had whittled it at some point in time, or (my theory) the killer whittled it as a way to implicate Burke.
    So now we have the killer whittling to while away his time.

Slow down s. The coroner called it a stick because he didn't know it was a paint brush handle.

H asked about the paint brush handle that was used in the garrote.

You said that was whittled.

I don't think it was.

Your above post does nothing to clear up your mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by dingo
    So now we have the killer whittling to while away his time.
    Or maybe Patsy was whittling past the graveyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat
    We know the paintbrush handle was broken, but was it broken once or twice?
    Good question. Was it broken quickly like a dry string of spaghetti with two thumbs, or, was one end broken off first and then carefully the other? Indeed, what happened to the paint brush end? Did somebody go paint a picture with it?

A puzzle?

Definitely twice. It would need to be twice since there is a "middle" portion. One of the ends is missing though. There has been discussion as to whether it was removed as a trophy.

I don't recall ever reading that it had been whittled and I'd be interested in a source for that.

It is not the coroner's job to decide the fabric or purpose of an object. He only describes as he sees. As Don Bradley has stated on several occasions - a coroner would not describe a gold wedding ring as such but rather as "a yellow metal band on the third finger of the left hand" (or similar description).
    This is only my opinion

Let the focus be on Madeleine

Together we can make a difference

Alert Viewer in Scotland

Member of Websleuths since April 2000

Twice, both ends are irregularly broken. this aspect is plainly visible to the eye, it needs no analysis.

It is also obvious there as been no attempt to smooth the ragged ends, and the surface of the stick appears unmodified.

I see nothing to suggest it has been whittled which as we know has BDI connotations.

The shards of wood found on the floor just outside of the wine-cellar originate from the stick and are consistent with a simple breaking or snapping.

As I remarked before it was not necessary for the stager to break the stick twice, or even at all.

The purpose of the stick could have been achieved whole.

Whittled to Implicate Burke?

......... which would be from various painting jobs from areas on the "stick" that had not been whittled. .....

Whittling was one of Burke's hobbies. Either he had whittled it at some point in time, or (my theory) the killer whittled it as a way to implicate Burke
    Good catch, Shiloh. Ties in with the possibility that JR's black WOOL shirt fibers and PR's jacket fibers could have been taken from the parents' closet to implicate them, which closet was some distance from their sleeping area, separated by a door, stairway ( the straight stairs) , and a bathroom.

See Schiller's PMPT, Appendix A, FLOOR PLANS. There appears to be another smaller closet at the other end of the 3rd floor but it's not marked closet.

Does anyone know a source that the stick had been whittled? So if that was done to implicate Burke, probably finding his whittling knife that LHP had supposedly hidden would have been for the same purpose, shows a lot of premeditation, I would think, probably a to-do list? But he forgot the duffle bag? Anyone know a way to ask ST what was in the duffle bag?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast